Obafemi Martins

Wullie

I suspect that Jayson either has some obsession with Michael Owen, or is the man himself

pointless mate, he'll still be whinging about little Michael being a great player long after he's deserted the ship he helped sink

Nah its just called common sense. Thats why all you ever do is whine about me posting, instead of being able to argue against it. Bit embarassing for you.

isn't it embarassing for you that you've basically had your tongue up Owen's arse for the last 4 months and he's proved you wrong, game after game

if you had a brain youd get why that sentance you posted is moronic

several of us have presented perfectly good arguments about Owen, you just don't acknowledge them

totally different players with differing attributes,neither of which should hold their heads high at the end of the season.

We're not even comparing owen to martins at this point, just arguing about the same old crap about Owen being crap/good.

ok....back in an hour or so then

Is there anything that both Owen and Martins are good at?

Or bad for that matter?

Seems like they took the perfect striker and divided him by two, and landed us with two sort of incomplete beings that promise so much yet ultimately just can't overcome their inadequacies. A couple of footballing Edward Scissorhands', if you will.

In my head I think that both have the qualities that the other lacks.

In my heart Martins is far greater than Owen. If Owens injury wasn't that bad why didn't he have a pain killing injection like I believe Martins has on numerous occassions recently AND Habib Beye is likely to before Sunday. This dedication goes a long way in my opinion, it's a shame too many of our players have shyed away when the going has got tough.

I actually wish Owen would fuck off at the end of the season, despite knowing he will do the business elsewhere. He is the sort of player we don't need at the club, past his peak, on hundreds of thousands a week and doesn't give a shit about the club or anything related to it.

The thing with Martins is, despite him sometimes looking like he doesn't care, it's not that he doesn't care (in my opinion) it's just that his head drops and he loses confidence easily. Similar to when he scores all of a sudden he sparks into life.

I don't get why people say Martins is quick. He might be able to beat players in a running race, but when the ball comes close to Martins, the game slows down dramatically.

I don't get why people say Martins is quick. He might be able to beat players in a running race, but when the ball comes close to Martins, the game slows down dramatically.

That's because he doesn't have a clue what to do with it, and can't dribble worth a shite.

Not sure how that has anything to do with his quickness though.

That's because he doesn't have a clue what to do with it, and can't dribble worth a s****.

he can dribble, he'll often take on 2 or 3 opposition players and get past him but it's usually in midfield then he plays a poor ball from that situation and makes poor movement afterwards.

That's because he doesn't have a clue what to do with it, and can't dribble worth a shite.

Thats the point though, speed is only an asset if you can use it, but too many people quote it as one of his best assets when the reality is that there isn't any benefit from the fact that he can run fast.

Kieron Dyer, now he was genuinely quick, and when fit would piss on Martins from the top of the Gallowgate.

That's because he doesn't have a clue what to do with it, and can't dribble worth a s****.

Thats the point though, speed is only an asset if you can use it, but too many people quote it as one of his best assets when the reality is that there isn't any benefit from the fact that he can run fast.

Kieron Dyer, now he was genuinely quick, and when fit would piss on Martins from the top of the Gallowgate.

Kieron Dyer was a worse player than Oba though...

No he wasn't, we just had really high expectations at the time and he was always injured.

No he wasn't, we just had really high expectations at the time and he was always injured.

He was like, at least Oba can hold people off the ball on he can score from all over the place with all parts of his body. Martins has more strength, power, pace and ability than Dyer.

Had he not been made of biscuits, I'd pick Dyer over Oba.

Could use his pace, had great movement and his first touch was quality.

Wouldn't get the goals Martins would up front, but his contributions to the team overall would be greater.

Crying out for a player like Dyer right now we are.

He was like, at least Oba can hold people off the ball on he can score from all over the place with all parts of his body. Martins has more strength, power, pace and ability than Dyer.

Firstly, whereas I was comparing how Dyer and Martins used their pace, you are comparing them as strikers, and Dyer was a midfielder.

Secondly, Martins might do the occasional thing that looks good and impressive, but the fact is we are playing with ten men with him most of the time, whereas Dyer was an extremely important contributor to a team that played in the Champions League. Oba Martins will never be good enough to be a regular starter for a top 6 side.

Thirdly, is it a coincidence that Martins only good spell of form at the club (the winter months of his first season), he was playing alongside a fit Dyer?

If we played Martins in the same team but Midfield in particular as what Dyer was in at the time, Martins would look twice the player.

:lol: Obafemi Martins would make the worst midfielder ever at the club.

If we played Martins in the same team but Midfield in particular as what Dyer was in at the time, Martins would look twice the player.

fumaca

pat heard

gary megson

peter cartwright

scott sloan

archie gourlay

(madras search returned f***ing hundreds in 0.27secs)

Guest Heneage

I always thought Dyer was quite a limited player. His strengths were there but still limited.

Firstly, whereas I was comparing how Dyer and Martins used their pace, you are comparing them as strikers, and Dyer was a midfielder.

Secondly, Martins might do the occasional thing that looks good and impressive, but the fact is we are playing with ten men with him most of the time, whereas Dyer was an extremely important contributor to a team that played in the Champions League. Oba Martins will never be good enough to be a regular starter for a top 6 side.

Thirdly, is it a coincidence that Martins only good spell of form at the club (the winter months of his first season), he was playing alongside a fit Dyer?

I just think the only reason Dyer looked useful was a) because of the players around him and b) because of his pace and the spaces made for him to run into.

At present we have no-one looking to produce the killer pass, no-one who can physically produce the killer pass and a strike force who have rarely consistently played alongside one another - therefore lacking in understanding one anothers movement. Kieron Dyer had a number of intelligent players around him and pacey players too, their movement and creativity and the ability to produce the killer pass was what made him a good Midfielder.

Imagine if we had Solano, Shearer, Bellamy, Woodgate, Speed, Robert in our current team, Martins would look far better.

The one thing I would agree on however, is that Dyer has a better first touch.

fumaca

pat heard

gary megson

peter cartwright

scott sloan

archie gourlay

(madras search returned f***ing hundreds in 0.27secs)

:lol:

I just think the only reason Dyer looked useful was a) because of the players around him and b) because of his pace and the spaces made for him to run into.

At present we have no-one looking to produce the killer pass, no-one who can physically produce the killer pass and a strike force who have rarely consistently played alongside one another - therefore lacking in understanding one anothers movement. Kieron Dyer had a number of intelligent players around him and pacey players too, their movement and creativity and the ability to produce the killer pass was what made him a good Midfielder.

Imagine if we had Solano, Shearer, Bellamy, Woodgate, Speed, Robert in our current team, Martins would look far better.

No it wasn't like that at all, it was Dyer and his running on the ball that created the space that Solano Robert and Shearer could exploit.

In that team, Robson would have realised what a one-dimensional, selfish player he was, and shipped him out.

I always thought Dyer was quite a limited player. His strengths were there but still limited.

If Dyer was limited, then the players that we currently have could only be described using very politically incorrect words.

Guest Heneage

If Dyer was limited, then the players that we currently have could only be described using very politically incorrect words.

Name me his skills and talents then, he was fast could short pass and on occasion put a decent through ball. He was no world beater by any stretch, he could have been far better if he wasn't a complete dick head, you look at him now and he looks total shite.

No it wasn't like that at all, it was Dyer and his running on the ball that created the space that Solano Robert and Shearer could exploit.

In that team, Robson would have realised what a one-dimensional, selfish player he was, and shipped him out.

i remember dyer being quite shite a lot of the time especially when played in the middle. he often only came into games in the last 15mins when play was getting stretched a bit.

Name me his skills and talents then, he was fast could short pass and on occasion put a decent through ball. He was no world beater by any stretch, he could have been far better if he wasn't a complete dick head, you look at him now and he looks total shite.

He was the quickest dribbler on the ball I have seen at this club.

He knew when to keep hold of the ball and let it go, and his short passes found players who had the better delivery.

He would run further on the pitch than anyone else.

He would harry the opposing midfielder all game, which helped Speed sweep it all up in midfield

He could deliver an excellent low cross if he got to the byline

Now can you say that about any of our current bunch.

The reality is that Dyer was starting to look limited for a top club with genuine trophy ambitions.

That is still a million light years from where we are now.