The prostitutes of football

Benwell Lad

Guest Knightrider

I think a lot of people have overreacted to NM's comments due to knowing deep down, that he's right. I don't think he ever said anyone was less of a fan though so no need for people to get worked up over it. Anyway it actually makes me proud that people not associated with Newcastle follow this club, it says to me there is something different about the club (something special) away from the actual football, which as we all know, is shite and has been for a long time. I'm mainly talking about foreign Toon fans here btw.

Anyone who chooses to support a club other than the one of the place they are form is as bad as anyone mentioned above.

Yawnarific.

NM is right

Oh OK then, if you say so.

Ty

No domestic trophy for over half a century means no gloryhunters among Newcastle fans, so lay off them wherever they are from.

My kids are born in the Midlands where I have settled and they are keener toon army fans than anyone.

There must be thousands of similar 2nd generation fans all points south of Tyneside due to post industrial economic migration.

If one day we get a winning team worth watching and we all turn up at once they will need a100,000 + seater stadium.

Doug.

I was born in Coventry,have watched Coventry over the years but never loved them as i love Newcastle United.My father,born in Bishop Auckland,is also a Newcastle United supporter,and has passed the Toon bug to me.I,in turn have passed it to my 2 year old son,who has never been northern of Coventry,but could say Toon upon seeing Newcastle shirt or badge,or say Shearer upon seeing a picture of Wor Al,from 8 months of age.

There is an 18 year old lad at work who "supports"Manchester United,but has never seen them play in the flesh.I call him a glory hunting cunt regularly,and to emphasise his thickness,this morning at work,my mate and i were talking about the Brit awards,when he strolled over,butted in and said,"I never knew Sir Paul McCartney was in the Beatles!"Thick bastard.

my mate claims the reason he supports man united is "his dads work collegue died and they thought theyd remember him by supporting the same team as him"

mackems.gif

come to think of it, how did you come to supporting the arse living in stoke (says your page)

Let's be honest, proximity to a clubs isn't really a good enough reason to support them. There is a big difference between supporting your local Division 1 or Division 2 team, and supporting your closest big club.

Should someone living in Darlington be castigated for picking Newcastle over Darlington, or should those living in the Wirrel be forced to go to Tranmere vs Leyton Orient instead of Liverpool vs Everton? 

I see no reason why people can't follow their local BIG (let's say EPL or Championship) club, even if there is a small club (League 1 or 2) 10 miles closer etc.  There's a lot more to it than location.  Stadiums and game day experience is much better, what about the standard of play, do they play on nice grass or clogging mud. What about the TV/Newspaper coverage?  Good players, Poster boys for the kids vs some part time plumber hoofing the ball up field instead of playing a pass. There are plenty of reasons to pick a big/popular team......but you only get to pick once.  Then you have to have loyalty.

The problem is really with the fans that don't have the staying power to live through the bad times.  Those that switched from Man U to Chelsea in 2005 when the Man U were struggling (aye - 3rd/4th is really struggling).  And those new Chelsea fans that

are putting their Blue shirts back in the closet and digging out their Red shirts again.

The earlier poster was right.......until you have tasted the depths of despair with your team, you cannot possible fully appreciate the exquisite sweetness of victory. 

my mate claims the reason he supports man united is "his dads work collegue died and they thought theyd remember him by supporting the same team as him"

mackems.gif

come to think of it, how did you come to supporting the arse living in stoke (says your page)

If ever there was an excuse for using this smiley  :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow:

Let's be honest, proximity to a clubs isn't really a good enough reason to support them. There is a big difference between supporting your local Division 1 or Division 2 team, and supporting your closest big club.

Should someone living in Darlington be castigated for picking Newcastle over Darlington, or should those living in the Wirrel be forced to go to Tranmere vs Leyton Orient instead of Liverpool vs Everton? 

I see no reason why people can't follow their local BIG (let's say EPL or Championship) club, even if there is a small club (League 1 or 2) 10 miles closer etc.  There's a lot more to it than location.  Stadiums and game day experience is much better, what about the standard of play, do they play on nice grass or clogging mud. What about the TV/Newspaper coverage?  Good players, Poster boys for the kids vs some part time plumber hoofing the ball up field instead of playing a pass. There are plenty of reasons to pick a big/popular team......but you only get to pick once.  Then you have to have loyalty.

The problem is really with the fans that don't have the staying power to live through the bad times.  Those that switched from Man U to Chelsea in 2005 when the Man U were struggling (aye - 3rd/4th is really struggling).  And those new Chelsea fans that

are putting their Blue shirts back in the closet and digging out their Red shirts again.

The earlier poster was right.......until you have tasted the depths of despair with your team, you cannot possible fully appreciate the exquisite sweetness of victory. 

yes and yes.

you see,the reason those clubs rarely get bigger and make it to the championship is through lack of funds ie money/people through the gate,when often there are enough football supporters in the area to support a far bigger club.(it would also mean the already bigger clubs would have fewer supporters and would even the whole thing up a bit)

Guest NUFCGator

Everyone has their own reasons for supporting whatever club they do and each person is their own case as to how devoted they are to their team. After the past few seasons of Newcastle football I believe any gloryhunters would have cleared out. As for this rule that people have to support the team they live closest to, I'd love to subscribe to this so I could actually go to a game of a team I like but I just couldn't figure out what professional team plays closest to where I live. It's almost certainly Miami FC of the USL but driving 8 hours one way for a second-rate football match seems like a bad decision so I'll opt for football on the TV. To follow up everyone's irrational reasons for following Newcastle even though they live nowhere nearby, I liked the brown ale logo on the shirt when I saw it on TV 4 or 5 years back and that was enough of a reason for me. I've consistently woken up at the crack of dawn to watch some consistently terrible football since then. It may be far from glory hunting but who wants to win trophies anyway when you can always talk about how great it will be when you eventually win something.

mackems.gif

If ever there was an excuse for using this smiley  :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow: :pow:

Read the thread, if ever there was an excuse to use this smiley :pow:  :lol:

Everyone has their own reasons for supporting whatever club they do and each person is their own case as to how devoted they are to their team. After the past few seasons of Newcastle football I believe any gloryhunters would have cleared out. As for this rule that people have to support the team they live closest to, I'd love to subscribe to this so I could actually go to a game of a team I like but I just couldn't figure out what professional team plays closest to where I live. It's almost certainly Miami FC of the USL but driving 8 hours one way for a second-rate football match seems like a bad decision so I'll opt for football on the TV. To follow up everyone's irrational reasons for following Newcastle even though they live nowhere nearby, I liked the brown ale logo on the shirt when I saw it on TV 4 or 5 years back and that was enough of a reason for me. I've consistently woken up at the crack of dawn to watch some consistently terrible football since then. It may be far from glory hunting but who wants to win trophies anyway when you can always talk about how great it will be when you eventually win something.

that type of thing i can understand.....but not if you were born and bred in lincoln or shrewsbury ?

Guest Deep456

Anyone who chooses to support a club other than the one of the place they are form is as bad as anyone mentioned above.

Shut the f*** up, you prick! You're so simple minded...

I agree. This guy talks a bit too much shiet for my liking.

Shut the f*** up, you prick! You're so simple minded...

This guy talks a bit too much shiet for my liking.

Aren't you the guy who reckons we can get Nani in on loan?

yes and yes.

you see,the reason those clubs rarely get bigger and make it to the championship is through lack of funds ie money/people through the gate,when often there are enough football supporters in the area to support a far bigger club.(it would also mean the already bigger clubs would have fewer supporters and would even the whole thing up a bit)

That's a nice romantic idea, but just never going to happen.  Big clubs are big clubs and will use their TV exposure and status to stay big.  And the lower rungs will always be just that. The facilities and the product they offer just can't change that appeal.  Only a few Big clubs will fall (Leeds etc) and only a few small clubs will rise (Reading etc), the rest will bob along in the division that suits them best with only a few surprise Yo-Yo's.

To use an americanism.....some are major league, and some are minor league. For the most part, this will never change.

But I think the issue was not why someone picked a Big Club to support over a small club.  It's not even why they picked a club at the other end of the country just because they are winning. It's about them only having the connection because of the winning, and not a deep enough connection to survive a period when the winning ceases and suddenly other clubs are better looking.

yes and yes.

That's a nice romantic idea, but just never going to happen.  Big clubs are big clubs and will use their TV exposure and status to stay big.  And the lower rungs will always be just that. The facilities and the product they offer just can't change that appeal.  Only a few Big clubs will fall (Leeds etc) and only a few small clubs will rise (Reading etc), the rest will bob along in the division that suits them best with only a few surprise Yo-Yo's.

To use an americanism.....some are major league, and some are minor league. For the most part, this will never change.

But I think the issue was not why someone picked a Big Club to support over a small club.  It's not even why they picked a club at the other end of the country just because they are winning. It's about them only having the connection because of the winning, and not a deep enough connection to survive a period when the winning ceases and suddenly other clubs are better looking.

yes,i know it's never going to happen,i've known it since my best friend (when i was 6 and he was 8) told me he was a liverpool fan,since that day i've seen it as a character flaw. he supports england because he's english....it's not hard to follow.

i realise this has now turned ttransatlantic...i support the pittsburgh teams because my uncle who moved to toronto late 60's on one of his trips back told us that on his many trips to the states pittsburgh had people most like geordies.

yes and yes.

I agree, the idea is romantic but highly unrealistic. How far are you willing to go with this idea?

Darlington or Hartlepool alright, but should people from Blyth not be allowed to follow Newcastle then?

How about Gateshead? I imagine a significant amount of "local" supporters are actually from there. Are they to be condemned for not piling into the International Stadium?

Hell, if you were born closer to Kingston Park than SJP, how dare you support NUFC instead of going to Newcastle Blue Star games? >:D

yes and yes.

I agree, the idea is romantic but highly unrealistic. How far are you willing to go with this idea?

Darlington or Hartlepool alright, but should people from Blyth not be allowed to follow Newcastle then?

How about Gateshead? I imagine a significant amount of "local" supporters are actually from there. Are they to be condemned for not piling into the International Stadium?

Hell, if you were born closer to Kingston Park than SJP, how dare you support NUFC instead of going to Newcastle Blue Star games? >:D

as in exiled's post you have major and minor league..we have league and non-league.

it's not a plan,i'm not going to make it a law (though if i could!)

do you not think if folk from cambridge supported cambridge and not arsenal football would be better off and those people might feel better about themselves and the game ?

before you start when i got engaged to NUFC we were lower top division enigmatics,when we were married (when i started travelling away and going to games without my dad) we were lower 2nd league trash surviving on history and bravado

I grew up in Dorset.  The only professional team in the county was Bournemouth who were in division three, and I'd never been there before.  The closest top flight team was Southampton which was over sixty miles away.  When you're a kid growing up in an area with no football team, you support whoever's doing best, because that's what kids do.  When I was in school, there were loads of Blackburn and Man Utd fans.  I decided to start supporting Newcastle for no reason other than they were doing well (this was back in the first Keegan era).  I had no ties to them, but I had no ties to anyone.

But I stuck with them through thick and thin, and now I actually live in Newcastle and have a season ticket.  I'll admit I became a fan for glory hunting reasons, but I was about 10 and I think that can be forgiven.  But over the years my love for the club has grown and even though I started supporting the club for a stupid reason, there's no way I could stop now.

I grew up in Dorset.  The only professional team in the county was Bournemouth who were in division three, and I'd never been there before.  The closest top flight team was Southampton which was over sixty miles away.  When you're a kid growing up in an area with no football team, you support whoever's doing best, because that's what kids do.  When I was in school, there were loads of Blackburn and Man Utd fans.  I decided to start supporting Newcastle for no reason other than they were doing well (this was back in the first Keegan era).  I had no ties to them, but I had no ties to anyone.

But I stuck with them through thick and thin, and now I actually live in Newcastle and have a season ticket.  I'll admit I became a fan for glory hunting reasons, but I was about 10 and I think that can be forgiven.  But over the years my love for the club has grown and even though I started supporting the club for a stupid reason, there's no way I could stop now.

which in away is akin to kids in rothbury or wooler if NUFC werent premier league. which does raise a question......most of those from rothbury etc are NUFC fans...what would have happened if we had been div 3 and the mackems had been premier stars (don't laugh, it's hypothetical) ?

I can understand the original post (i for one grew up with a lad in school who supported Manure whilst we supported the toon) and people supporting the best team in the land but to generalise and stereotype everyone into the same mundane, boring group is wrong. 

I personally think, if you support your team (no matter where you are from) with pride, passion and an unrelenting disire to see them succeed rather than fail then you can support who ever you want. 

P.S - Manure fans are not all bad...90% of them are all not from the region but 10% still are.  :)

Glory seeking with Newcastle is like going with the prostitute and then finding out she has syphillis.

na......glory seeking with newcastle is like knowing the prostitute has syphilis,then following though on the deal

I actually agree with NM to a point. Sure if you have Geordie blood in you or have some kind of personal link to the area, by all means follow Newcastle United. But I've never been able to understand why someone say from Carlisle who has no ties whatsoever to Newcastle, would choose to follow any team but Carlisle. That said, it doesn't make people a lesser fan or anything like that if they do happen to come from Carlisle but support Newcastle. The saddest thing for me is that for many local clubs they will have lost generations of fans and you can see a day when half of them simply disappear. That says more about the world we live in more than the game itself btw, although the two are interlinked.

I don't care what anyone says, a Carlisle born Newcastle supporter can never truly feel the way a Geordie does where his/her football team is concerned because a football club, especially in places like Newcastle, is more than a football club, it's more a local pride thing.

For example, when we play Sunderland, has fuck all to do with football really. On such days, you're missing out if you are not from Newcastle or connected to the place somehow, and that's a huge part of the game.

Have a fucking word.  :razz: