Aiden McGeady

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ah well, sell the Zog for £12 million and spend that money on McGeady.

Can't honestly see any club spending £12m on a player (Zog) who is reputedly unsettled and whose value is based more on potential than recent achievement and can't show off his potential because he's being played out of position. 

If KK really wants to spend £12m on a player who hasn't really impressed yet at international level, his war chest of £50m won't go very far.  Other areas in the squad need more urgent attention than LM.

Can't honestly see any club spending £12m on a player (Zog) who is reputedly unsettled and whose value is based more on potential than recent achievement and can't show off his potential because he's being played out of position.

Being "unsettled" is a lot less effective when you've only recently signed a new 5 year contract.  If he wants to go and another team wants him they'll have to pay far more then he's currently worth IMO, otherwise they can f*** off and he can rott in the reserves for all I care.  Hopefully the management will see it similarly.

If KK really wants to spend £12m on a player who hasn't really impressed yet at international level, his war chest of £50m won't go very far.  Other areas in the squad need more urgent attention than LM.

Taking that all into account, remind me how much you paid for Bent again?

Being "unsettled" is a lot less effective when you've only recently signed a new 5 year contract.  If he wants to go and another team wants him they'll have to pay far more then he's currently worth IMO, otherwise they can f*** off and he can rott in the reserves for all I care.  Hopefully the management will see it similarly.

True, the same could be said about Downing.  Boro wanted c£12m, reputedly unsettled but no one paid the fee being asked so Downing signed a new contract.  I'm not saying Newcastle should sell Zog for less than £12m if that's what they think he's worth.  I just don't envisage anyone spending £12m to buy him. 

True, the same could be said about Downing.  Boro wanted c£12m, reputedly unsettled but no one paid the fee being asked so Downing signed a new contract.  I'm not saying Newcastle should sell Zog for less than £12m if that's what they think he's worth.  I just don't envisage anyone spending £12m to buy him. 

Fair enough, I doubt anyone would pay £12 million for N'Zogbia, he's certainly not worth that on current form.  It all comes down to wether anyone wants him badly enough, if they do we have him on a long term deal and don't need to sell, which means they'll have to pay well over the odds.

McGeady has done well when has played in the CL & has been a better performer in SPL than lets think of some of examples say Alan Hutton or Craig Gordon. If people think them lads are worth around £10 millionthen buying a player who can  "run with the ball and he can create things" £12 million is snip.

McGeady has done well when has played in the CL & has been a better performer in SPL than lets think of some of examples say Alan Hutton or Craig Gordon. If people think them lads are worth around £10 millionthen buying a player who can  "run with the ball and he can create things" £12 million is snip.

No he hasn't.

It's only this year he's put a consistent run of form together. Maloney used to come up with the goods more often when the two of them were at Celtic and won Player of the Year

I thought all the Scots-rave was for Scott Brown these days ???

Seriously deluded fans bigging up anything they've got in their league when really these players are average prem players at their very best.

£9m Craig Gordon (really £3-4m)

£7.5m Barry Ferguson (really £2m)

£8m J.A Boumsong (really £3m)

£8m Alan Hutton (really £4-5m)

Now £12m McGeady & at the start of the season £12m Brown.

Do Celtic need £12m? Is that what is going on?

These two are worth £4-5m each, if that. Average prem players which Scotland are trying to flog to us in a desperate attempt to rip the English off as they need coin as they are all poor.

McGeady has done well when has played in the CL & has been a better performer in SPL than lets think of some of examples say Alan Hutton or Craig Gordon. If people think them lads are worth around £10 millionthen buying a player who can  "run with the ball and he can create things" £12 million is snip.

I don't honestly think you can compare a fullback, a winger and a goalkeeper when you're trying to assess who might be a success in the Premier League.  Hutton has shown for Scotland that he is capable of producing quality performances at international level and has performed well in the (albeit) few games he has played for Spurs and whilst I still think the fee we paid was a little on the rich side, I'd still have no complaints if the quality of Hutton's performances was maintained.

With McGeady, he may have played well against Barca but from what I've seen of his international performances, I would have grave reservations about paying £12m for him or anything like that figure.  But, more importantly, with Zog and Duff, do Newcastle really need McGeady?  With the time they've invested in Zog, I would have thought it would make more sense to keep the £12m player you already have and develop his talents further rather than splash £12m who may prove to be no better or possibly worse than Zog.

McGeady has done well when has played in the CL & has been a better performer in SPL than lets think of some of examples say Alan Hutton or Craig Gordon. If people think them lads are worth around £10 millionthen buying a player who can  "run with the ball and he can create things" £12 million is snip.

No he hasn't.

It's only this year he's put a consistent run of form together. Maloney used to come up with the goods more often when the two of them were at Celtic and won Player of the Year

He has won Celtic Young Player of the Year 3 years off the bounce.  A load of month awards how many have Hutton & Gordon won?

Seriously deluded fans bigging up anything they've got in their league when really these players are average prem players at their very best.

These two are worth £4-5m each, if that. Average prem players which Scotland are trying to flog to us in a desperate attempt to rip the English off as they need coin as they are all poor.

It has nothing to do with ripping off the English as you put it, transfer fees are ridiculous everywhere and no more so then in England when you see the like of Nugent and Chopra going for 6 million each, Cahill for 5 and Bent for 16....

Isn't it unbelievably ironic that the club who have consistently accussed others of jacking up transfer prices will probably be the biggest culprits of doing so this century.

Bent to Tottenham for £16 million as a bench player is one of the most unbelievable transfers ever.

How do you spend £16 million on someone who isn't guaranteed to be in your first team?

Absolutely crazy.

No he hasn't.

He has won Celtic Young Player of the Year 3 years off the bounce.  A load of month awards how many have Hutton & Gordon won?

There are always players that are highly rated, overrated or underrated.  It's also true to say that more often than not, awards go to attacking minded players rather than defensive.  I'm not saying McGeady is a poor player or anything like it, just trying to evaluate his worth by considering his impact outside the comfort zone of the SPL.  In internationals I've seen little to get excited about, I've been happy with what I've seen of Hutton, and Gordon for that matter.

Isn't it unbelievably ironic that the club who have consistently accussed others of jacking up transfer prices will probably be the biggest culprits of doing so this century.

Bent to Tottenham for £16 million as a bench player is one of the most unbelievable transfers ever.

How do you spend £16 million on someone who isn't guaranteed to be in your first team?

Absolutely crazy.

Bent was seen as the best available striker available to replace Berbatov as at that time there was the expectation that Berbatov would go. Had that scenario actually occurred, Bent would have been starting practically every match.  £16m for the league's top English goalscorer for the previous 2 seasons wouldn't have been too surprising.  It's the subsequent events with Berbatov staying that makes the transfer look a wierd one.

Absolutely crazy.

Bent was seen as the best available striker available to replace Berbatov as at that time there was the expectation that Berbatov would go. Had that scenario actually occurred, Bent would have been starting practically every match.   £16m for the league's top English goalscorer for the previous 2 seasons wouldn't have been too surprising.  It's the subsequent events with Berbatov staying that makes the transfer look a wierd one.

Interesting. Well that was one hell of a risky move. So is all the talk of Bent being moved on true then? Or do the club still see Berbatov moving on, in which case they intend to hold on to Bent?

Absolutely crazy.

Bent was seen as the best available striker available to replace Berbatov as at that time there was the expectation that Berbatov would go. Had that scenario actually occurred, Bent would have been starting practically every match.   £16m for the league's top English goalscorer for the previous 2 seasons wouldn't have been too surprising.  It's the subsequent events with Berbatov staying that makes the transfer look a wierd one.

Interesting. Well that was one hell of a risky move. So is all the talk of Bent being moved on true then? Or do the club still see Berbatov moving on, in which case they intend to hold on to Bent?

It might have been risky but it would have been even more so if Berbatov had gone with no replacement already brought in.  I think back to the signing of Rasiak!

Whether Bent goes or not still depends on Berbatov and Ramos.  With Uefa competition next season now guaranteed it's less likely that Berba will leave but still no guarantee.  Bent is not the ideal type of Ramos striker, works hard but not got the skills level that Ramos wants although I know he likes his work ethic and no complaints about lack of playing time.  You can get skilful players to work hard but you can't get hardworkers to be skilful.  The difference between the Spurs and Sevilla versions of Fredi Kanoute is there for all to see.

Elmander and Toni are two that, amongst others, are definitely on the radar but I don't know if its names like that being touted to replace Berbatov or Bent or fill Defoe's empty seat.  Time will tell.

Honestly, how many times have you seen Hutton and McGeady play?

Hutton had McGeady in his pocket every time they played an Old Firm derby. He is far too hitty missy for me. Yesterday he was marked out of the game by a St Mirren player on £400 a week. Hardly of the standard we need here.