Keegan can't see past the past

KaKa

This isn't a Keegan out thread or even an anti Keegan thread per se.

However, I think what everyone has to accept, unfortunately, is that Keegan will never, ever, ever, ever drop Butt or Duff.

A lot of people keep suggesting/hoping Faye/Geremi play in midfield ahead of Butt, and Duff is moved aside so Zoggy can occupy the left wing spot, however my impression is that Keegan isn't even close to considering this.

Keegan, unfortunately still sees the names Nicky Butt and Damien Duff and probably remembers what they were like when he was last managing in the league. I'm not sure he is able to look past their names and their history.

Keegan is convinced that all they need is their confidence back and this is very worrying. Remember how Keegan went on about the quality that existed in the squad when he was first brought in? The need for experienced leaders? That worried me at the time, and I hoped it was just talk, but it appears not to have been.

If everyone is fit, Butt, Duff, Smith and even Owen should be struggling to be in our team right now, based on their recent performances, but in Keegans mind I think he believes this is the foundation of the current team.

God help us.

We just have to make the best of what we've got til the end of the season, the squad is far to thin to be dropping players for bad form.  Blame previous managers and owners of NUFC for the small squad we have.

it's a bit too early to come to that conclusion. In the midst of a relegation fight he's not going to come out and say "yeah, the squad is shit, it's a bit depressing, but i'm stuck with the fuckers". the likes of Geremi and Faye have only recently came back from africa and there's been no-one fit to challenge Owen's position. Playing N'Zogbia at left-back is a mystery but Enrique might be struggling with a knock i don't know. Continuing to play Smith is disappointing but i'm sure he'll be after a better forward in the summer.

When Robson joined the club i remember he had that "blue chip brigade" of Speed, Lee, Barton and Shearer, which was simply an exercise in getting the senior and most influential squad members onside. Barton and Lee only lasted a season or two in the first-team before they became peripheral and eventually left.

It does look as if Keegan is picking players on reputation, but I assume he knows what he's doing. If things don't turn round in the next couple of matches though some changes are going to be inevitable.

Guest Stephen927

I think what he has done with Duff has been the right thing to do, it's just unfortunate that it hasn't worked and that it's maybe something more than confidence that is the issue with Damien.

Keegan, unfortunately still sees the names Nicky Butt and Damien Duff and probably remembers what they were like when he was last managing in the league.

Don't agree with this. Keegan may have not seen a match live for 3 years or so, but he will have certainly still been following the game. That, and he will have (hopefully) been given a report by McDermott and Pearson on every player.

I've just read a quote from Keegan saying that we will only need two or three players this summer!

I honestly think that he believes this current team is actually decent and just needs confidence.

If he only brings two or three in this summer people would go bonkers!

This is the quote:

"I'm sure we'd have managed to get players in if I'd come a fortnight earlier and I'm sure that would have given everybody a boost," Keegan said. "But we mustn't use that as an excuse. We've got some very, very good players and we're not going to need many more in the summer. But we do need two or three to spark us off."

At the very least we need two central midfielders, a left back, a top centre half and a legit target man striker. That's already five players. We could also do with a right winger and a younger right back to back up Beye.

I hope Keegan knows what he's doing.

I've just read a quote from Keegan saying that we will only need two or three players this summer!

I honestly think that he believes this current team is actually decent and just needs confidence.

This is the quote:

"I'm sure we'd have managed to get players in if I'd come a fortnight earlier and I'm sure that would have given everybody a boost," Keegan said. "But we mustn't use that as an excuse. We've got some very, very good players and we're not going to need many more in the summer. But we do need two or three to spark us off."

At the very least we need two central midfielders, a left back, a top centre half and a legit target man striker. That's already five players. We could also do with a right winger and a younger right back to back up Beye.

you should never believe what he says.

what message does it send out to those in the team if keegan says "aye mass clearout in the sumer,.there'll only be a couiple of this mob left"

Well I doubt you will see any of them left out this season barring injury of course.

So you really think that Keegan doesn't comprehend that Nicky Butt and Damien Duff are not the same players that were around when he was last a Premiership manager?  Despite watching them in training and playing six matches and talking to coaches no doubt?

You really think that he 'isn't even close to considering' changing his side to accomodate N'Zogbia and Geremi in midfield? 

I actually agree with Keegan that confidence is a huge thing in football.  That's why teams go on winning runs and often don't just lose one game on the bounce but get a string of bad results.  When a team loses its collective confidence, results just don't come.  That's why he's talking up the players, he's trying to get them putting in the best performances that they can.  So, take his media comments with a pinch of salt because they're more often for the players rather than us.

This is the quote:

Come on man, what do you expect him to say? This lot are all shite and I'm buying a new team in the summer? He needs the current shambles of a squad to avoid relegation so he's trying to keep them onside. Next season you can bet there'll be at least 5 or 6 new players.

Guest Stephen927

Two or three signings will spark us off, I agree with him fully.

We just need to find the couple of missing pieces to the jigsaw, this talk of needing a whole new team is rubbish.

Just to look at some of the players on the pitch, the confidence simply isn't there. Others, like Carr, Ameobi and Butt simply aren't good enough and hopefully they will be replaced. We just need two or three quality signings to compliment the existing players.

This is the quote:

It's called man management and it's what Keegan is best at.

I seriously doubt that Keegan just looks at the players, sees their names and what they did in the past and plays them. It would make previous matches and training completely pointless.

Have a word ffs.

Guest Nufc4Life

I think 90% of people are in agreemnet that this should be the starting 11

Given

Beye

Taylor

Faye

Enrique

Milner

Emre

Butt/Geremi?

N'Zogbia

Owen

Viduka/Martins

The worrying thing is, Keegan cant see it. Nearly everyone is suggesting that exact team, yet ''King Kev'' keeps playing the likes of Cacapa, N'Zogbia at LB (which is costing us so many silly goals) Barton and flipping Smith.

I just can't understand it, Big Sam was the same. It's very worrying.

If there's one manager I have faith in, who won't pick players on reputation and will not let players live on past glories it is Keegan. This man quietly moved on players like David Kelly, Gavin Peacock, Micky Quinn and replaced them with better. You can't live on the past, he has consistently proved to be an excellent football manager and will come good for us again.

There seems to be a large group of people who post on here who seem to have subscribed to the shit in the popular press which states that Keegan is a nice bloke who likes everyone to attack, does not understand tactics and thinks training revolves around playing cards. This is not the Kevin Keegan who dragged us, Fulham and Man City out of the shit and established us in the top tier. He isn't off to a great start, granted. However he will turn us round, get everyone pulling in the right direction and he will get rid of anyone who isn't good enough or commited enough to help him do that. As far as I'm concerned this is guaranteed based on what he has done before and the character of the man which we already know.

I know a lot of it is wind-ups, but some of the shit posted on here beggars belief.

If there's one manager I have faith in, who won't pick players on reputation and will not let players live on past glories it is Keegan. This man quietly moved on players like David Kelly, Gavin Peacock, Micky Quinn and replaced them with better. You can't live on the past, he has consistently proved to be an excellent football manager and will come good for us again.

There seems to be a large group of people who post on here who seem to have subscribed to the shit in the popular press which states that Keegan is a nice bloke who likes everyone to attack, does not understand tactics and thinks training revolves around playing cards. This is not the Kevin Keegan who dragged us, Fulham and Man City out of the shit and established us in the top tier. He isn't off to a great start, granted. However he will turn us round, get everyone pulling in the right direction and he will get rid of anyone who isn't good enough or commited enough to help him do that. As far as I'm concerned this is guaranteed based on what he has done before and the character of the man which we already know.

I know a lot of it is wind-ups, but some of the shit posted on here beggars belief.

It needed saying :thup:

I think 90% of people are in agreemnet that this should be the starting 11

Given

Beye

Taylor

Faye

Enrique

Milner

Emre

Butt/Geremi?

N'Zogbia

Owen

Viduka/Martins

The worrying thing is, Keegan cant see it. Nearly everyone is suggesting that exact team, yet ''King Kev'' keeps playing the likes of Cacapa, N'Zogbia at LB (which is costing us so many silly goals) Barton and flipping Smith.

I just can't understand it, Big Sam was the same. It's very worrying.

---------------Given---------------

Geremi--Beye--Taylor--Enrique

Milner--Faye--Emre--N'Zogbia

-------Owen------Martins-----

Bench:

Harper

Barton

Carroll

Duff

Cacapa

Guest Nufc4Life

Beye in central defence? I like the idea of Faye and Emre in centre mid, but Beye has been good on the right and looks good going forward, he wouldnt be able to that at Centre Back.

Beye in central defence? I like the idea of Faye and Emre in centre mid, but Beye has been good on the right and looks good going forward, he wouldnt be able to that at Centre Back.

He's been good on the right, and he'd do well in the centre as well. His pace and passing could be exactly what KK needs in a CB, worth a shot to get Faye in mid.

I just think the game passes Geremi by when playing centre, RB is the only position for him, Butt is fuking useless, and Barton is unreliable. Faye is our best DMC, he's also our best CB, fuking shame.

I think Faye and Beye could potentially be the best partnership in the middle. Trouble is, Beye's the best RB at the club. Similar problem if you play Faye in midfield (i.e. he's needed at CB too).

There seems to be a large group of people who post on here who seem to have subscribed to the s*** in the popular press which states that Keegan is a nice bloke who likes everyone to attack, does not understand tactics and thinks training revolves around playing cards. This is not the Kevin Keegan who dragged us, Fulham and Man City out of the s*** and established us in the top tier. He isn't off to a great start, granted. However he will turn us round, get everyone pulling in the right direction and he will get rid of anyone who isn't good enough or commited enough to help him do that. As far as I'm concerned this is guaranteed based on what he has done before and the character of the man which we already know.

I know a lot of it is wind-ups, but some of the s*** posted on here beggars belief.

Well I certainly don't have a problem with Keegan at all, and I understand he has had a difficult run of games to start with. As long as we stay up, I know next season will never be this bad and could be brilliant in fact.

I just wish I didn't have to sit and watch Butt and Duff the rest of the season. It breaks my spirit. They cannot justify their places with the performances they have put in this whole season. However, I just think Kev will keep them in the team because of their 'experience' and 'leadership', characteristics they certainly haven't shown at this club, and that dissapoints me. Somewhat understandable but very dissapointing nevertheless.