With Owen's contract running out..

Unbelievable
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shit like this....

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-c/section-videos/pid-1003940829/

When Beckham Met Owen

David and Michael are high school-age students in Hong Kong who share a love for soccer, especially British football. But outside of soccer, the two boys have little in common. David is outgoing, Michael is shy. David is comfortable talking about sex, Michael is not. We soon learn why, when it becomes obvious that Michael has fallen for his friend. That's the basic premise but this film doesn't follow the direction you think it would. Michael seems more scared by his awakening sexuality than David is troubled by it. It causes him to shun David, who is left clueless as to why. This is a very subtle coming of age film filled with nuances. It's about becoming comfortable in your own skin.

mackems.gif

s*** like this....

When Beckham Met Owen

David and Michael are high school-age students in Hong Kong who share a love for soccer, especially British football. But outside of soccer, the two boys have little in common. David is outgoing, Michael is shy. David is comfortable talking about sex, Michael is not. We soon learn why, when it becomes obvious that Michael has fallen for his friend. That's the basic premise but this film doesn't follow the direction you think it would. Michael seems more scared by his awakening sexuality than David is troubled by it. It causes him to shun David, who is left clueless as to why. This is a very subtle coming of age film filled with nuances. It's about becoming comfortable in your own skin.

mackems.gif

:-)))))

s*** like this....

When Beckham Met Owen

mackems.gif

mackems.gif        :smitten:              :celb:

Guest rebel_yell12

Didn't the insurance money pay for that time he was out though?

It's paid for the loss of value on the player, or part of his wages while out, but certainly not both.

Newcastle received just about 7 mil iirc in compensation for the knee injury, and Owen's wages through the Nov-Dec '07 period this season were covered by the FA, because his injuries were received whilst playing for England. 

So, technically, last year, Newcastle United made a PROFIT on Michael Owen.  If his wages run 100k (split the difference being argued on here about 80k or 120k), that's 5.2 mil per year.  Then the compensation from the FA also covered more than his wages.  Figure half a mil for the surgery and rehabilitation.  That still leaves 1.3 million in extra compensation.  Is this the "lost of value" payment?

Either way, his wages were covered.  So Newcastle United did not pay Michael Owen to do nothing.

And for that matter, have YOU ever done extensive physical therapy?  It's not "free money" to pay him whilst he's doing that.  It's probably a lot harder mentally and physically than any other season Owen has put in through his career in football.  It's excruciatingly painful more days than not and dull and often lonely.  From what his teammates have said Owen was the first player in every morning, and the last one to leave every afternoon.  His PT was 7 days a week (although he was allowed to work "at home" in his own gym on Sundays), every week, for the better part of 8 months.  I hate it when people ignore PT as if it were nothing.  The player was not sitting at home with his feet up. [/rant]

The Japan sh** is just ridiculous.  Owen's only come out and flat admitted that he, his wife, and daughter all disliked living away from England when he was in Spain.  He's said he'd not consider going abroad again, it was an experience he's glad to have had, but England is home.  But you can't expect the media to actually pay attention to what the man in question actually SAID, can you?  That's so much less interesting.

We wouldn't pay  Owen's wages. Even with a decent pay cut.

Well that seems to be the thing the papers are conveniently forgetting. Ashley wants to cut his wages but where else can he go and get over £100,000 a week if he takes the huff (if they're right - which they probably aren't)? The top 4 don't want him and ramos won't want him either. Everton definitely won't pay huge salaries, so who's left? West Ham? Villa?

I voted to postpone the decision.  I think the team has to have the right players around Owen.  I'm probably not going to say this right but I can't see him as the primary scoring threat.  He'd be much better off with other legit scoring or on the ball threats around him to take pressure off of him.  I don't think he's big enough, strong enough or fast enough to be the primary focus of a team's defense but if he has space to slip into he can be deadly.  The 433 with he, Oba and Viduka was ideal for him.  Oba is pacey and is a concern and Duke was a big, strong guy who could hold up the ball.  The type of player that Owen is is ideal to play offof that combination, IMO.

Its funny that there is loads of negativity towards Owen but he hasnt actually done anything wrong.

He hasnt said he wont take a pay cut and he may not even have to once again the media getting at our club.

The possible drawbacks of Owen not signing a new contract and staying until he can leave on a Bosman:

- He decides to piss about, not interested in playing for us because he knows he'll leave, and being on a free and having a mammoth reputation, he's confident he'll attract someone good irrespective of the nil contribution.

- We lose a good player for free at the end of the season.

- We build a team around the new found Owen, do well with him, then suddenly lose him. Maybe we wont find a replacement for him?

The benefits of not signing a new contract, but keeping him until his contract expires (with the pretence that we'll negoatiate at the end of the season):

- He'll be playing to attract new suitors, ie one of the big four, and therefore might give a whole season of good performances. Which in turn should help us out immensely.

- Continuity. We'll be in a better position to attract a good replacement next summer (hopefully). Once Keegan has made a few additions to the side, removed the dead wood, and without the handicap of having taken over a Sam Allardyce team mid way through the season with an extremely tough fixture list making up the rest of the campaign, I bet we'll be pushing near the automatic UEFA Cup spots. And at 29, maybe thats a good time to lose a player who's best years might have been well behind him?

- We cover ourselves from extending the huge contract of a player who hasnt delivered over the span of his lifetime here. 4-5 good months out of 3 years for 100k per week is mediocre, and we still cant be sure for certain that he's happy to play in this midfield role in the longer term. If worst comes to worse, and things turn bad for us, we can cut loose once the season finishes.

Overall, I say the Owen situation is not a big deal. If he signs, then good, if he doesnt, we'll move on when the time comes. We've repleased better players in the past, he's not the biggest fish we've had in recent times, so I dont see why there needs to be so much fuss about him.

In fact, we've already got a ready made replacement for him in Obafemi Martins, the player who scored 17 goals in an absolutely mediocre team under Roeder - hes not perfect by any means, but with the right team around him he'll get goals on a frequent basis.

Guest Sniffer

I'd say we can't afford to put this off. If he won't sign an extended deal at the same money and an extra weeks holiday to sweeten the pot, then the logical thing is to sell him on this summer to the highest bidder. Ashley won't let him walk next year and lose money.

I'd say we can't afford to put this off. If he won't sign an extended deal at the same money and an extra weeks holiday to sweeten the pot, then the logical thing is to sell him on this summer to the highest bidder. Ashley won't let him walk next year and lose money.

But surely that depends on potential replacements?

I'd rather we kept Owen for next season, and lose him on a free at the end, then to sell him for £8mill and sign someone like Giles Barnes who might turn out to be total shit.

Guest Knightrider

He'll be staying IMO.

Will he extend his contract though?  :shifty:

That's a good question. I'm not so sure myself at this point in time, depends on what's happening around him (will one of the big four show an interest? I'm not so sure). I think he'll stay for now because we'll be his best option for now, i.e. guaranteed games which in World Cup Qualifying year, he'll be most concerned about as a priority of his.

He'll be staying IMO.

Will he extend his contract though?  :shifty:

That's a good question. I'm not so sure myself at this point in time, depends on what's happening around him (will one of the big four show an interest? I'm not so sure). I think he'll stay for now because we'll be his best option for now, i.e. guaranteed games which in World Cup Qualifying year, he'll be most concerned about as a priority of his.

Probably true I suppose. The whole contract thing should have been sorted much earlier though imo.

He can talk to other clubs in January and leave for nothing this time next year. Other clubs don't wait this late to re-sign players. :(

Guest Knightrider

Owen staying btw, and signing a new deal, will be a big thing for this club and more importantly the manager. Lose Owen and we'll lose KK, not in the form of walking away or being sacked, but believing his employees have what it takes and as to whether he can really work for them. Owen will be our most important signing of the season if we can tie him to a new deal, mark my words. Fingers crossed.

PS I'm not arsed whether we keep him or not in terms of him as a player, doesn't deserve his massive wages, has done fuck all for us and I'm not convinced he's the answer whether it be in midfield or up front, and he's only going to get older and his fitness.... still a liability for me. But KK wants him and that's all that counts, I back his judgments and needs 100% even if they clash with my own thoughts. In this case I'm quite happy to just play the fan and leave all that to the gaffer.

Guest Sniffer

But surely that depends on potential replacements?

I'd rather we kept Owen for next season, and lose him on a free at the end, then to sell him for £8mill and sign someone like Giles Barnes who might turn out to be total s***.

Hmm..8 mil for Owen and add another 2 and you could probably get Bent or Crouch. I'd be happy with either if Owen decided to leave.

If he's still here on the same contract next year it will be murder. Every time you pick up the paper it'll be his contract. I hope he stays as I believe it will help attract players but it has to be on an extended deal. I find it hard to believe he'd go to manure on a play as you earn basis not least because he may not get a game even if he was fit.

He's a god over there.

Has his own manga and shit iirc.

He'd earn a shitload.

It was good enough for Lineker. It was good enough for Wenger. Why not Owen as well? If it meant we recouped our losses/outlay etc and got shot of a bad apple in terms of the negative effect he's possibly had on morale with his egocentric narcissistic ways, then good. Fuck off Micky. Tata!

Guest rebel_yell12

He's a god over there.

Has his own manga and s*** iirc.

He'd earn a shitload.

It was good enough for Lineker. It was good enough for Wenger. Why not Owen as well? If it meant we recouped our losses/outlay etc and got shot of a bad apple in terms of the negative effect he's possibly had on morale with his egocentric narcissistic ways, then good. f*** off Micky. Tata!

Hasn't all evidence coming from the club been the opposite of this?  Chris Mort even said Owen has had a wonderful effect on the dressing room as captain.  New signing Kadar said in an interview that Owen was nothing like he expected of a major international start.  All evidence from people who have actually met Michael Owen is that he's not any sort of "big time Charlie" and is actually very grounded, very friendly, and quite popular amongst his fellow players.  I'm assuming you've not actually met Michael Owen, so I'll take the word of those who have, thanks muchly. If this last run of games is Owen sowing dissension among the ranks, I'll take it.  The last ten matches, barring Everton, showed a real team spirit amongst the players, which I was very happy to finally see back at Newcastle.