With Owen's contract running out..

Unbelievable
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1 Cristiano Ronaldo 31 Manchester United 

2 Emmanuel Adebayor 24 Arsenal 

2 Fernando Torres 24 Liverpool 

4 Roque Santa Cruz 19 Blackburn Rovers 

5 Mwaruwari Benjani 15 Manchester City 

5 Aiyegbeni Yakubu 15 Everton 

5 Robbie Keane 15 Tottenham Hotspur 

5 Dimitar Berbatov 15 Tottenham Hotspur 

9 Carlos Tevez 14 Manchester United 

10 John Carew 13 Aston Villa 

11 Wayne Rooney 12 Manchester United 

11 Steven Gerrard 12 Liverpool 

11 Jermain Defoe 12 Portsmouth 

14 Gabriel Agbonlahor 11 Aston Villa 

14 Michael Owen 11 Newcastle United 

14 Nicolas Anelka 11 Chelsea 

17 Frank Lampard 10 Chelsea 

17 Dean Ashton 10 West Ham 

17 Dave Kitson 10 Reading 

You got me wondering what the table would look like in terms of goals per minutes played....

Pos standard Pos/Player Goals Minutes Minutes per goal
1 1 Cristiano Ronaldo 31 2746 89
2 2 Fernando Torres 24 2533 106
3 2 Emmanuel Adebayor 24 2928 122
4 11 Jermain Defoe 12 1605 134
5 5 Aiyegbeni Yakubu 15 2303 154
6 4 Roque Santa Cruz 19 3187 168
7 5 Dimitar Berbatov 15 2689 179
8 5 Robbie Keane 15 2714 181
9 11 Wayne Rooney 12 2181 182
10 9 Carlos Tevez 14 2677 191
11 5 Mwaruwari Benjani 15 2897 193
12 17 Frank Lampard 10 1954 195
13 10 John Carew 13 2546 196
14 14 Michael Owen 11 2175 198
15 17 Dean Ashton 10 2001 200
16 Obafemi Martins 9 2051 228
17 14 Nicolas Anelka 11 2575 234
18 11 Steven Gerrard 12 2840 237
19 17 Dave Kitson 10 2522 252
20 14 Gabriel Agbonlahor 11 3278 298

And Owen is still 14th.

Only really shines a light on Defoe.  Benjani drops too.

Is 14th supposed to be good?

To me, yeah. Returning from bad injury, missed few games, played under BSA, our service (esp in 442, nowt from midfield and his partner was Smith) and all.

Also, we ain't gonna get anyone better than him. That's for sure

So, we MUST keep him.

We aren't going to get anyone better than him? I hate it when a topic about Owen gets sidetracked but look at whose name is next to 16 and you'll have my opinion of someone who's more important to the team than Owen is.

Papers seem to be running the £40k pay cut story again.

What puzzles me is that when he joined, Owen was described as being on £80,000 a week, the papers put it up to £100k shortly afterwards, and today he sits on £120k unready to go back to the £80,000 he was supposedly on (according to the broadsheets) when he signed.

You got me wondering what the table would look like in terms of goals per minutes played....

And Owen is still 14th.

Only really shines a light on Defoe.  Benjani drops too.

To me, yeah. Returning from bad injury, missed few games, played under BSA, our service (esp in 442, nowt from midfield and his partner was Smith) and all.

So, we MUST keep him.

We aren't going to get anyone better than him? I hate it when a topic about Owen gets sidetracked but look at whose name is next to 16 and you'll have my opinion of someone who's more important to the team than Owen is.

We need both.

Viduka has been as important as those two, despite the lack of goals. We've always looked better with him on the pitch this season, whether Allardyce be here or not.

I'm still not overly fussed on Owen, especially as I know in myself that he's agitating for a move (and has been for some time), but I'd be far happier to see us keep him than lose him at this current time.

He's only ever one injury away from being a pariah again though.

I know, footballers, money, their share of the tv deal, etc etc but it can't be just me to find a footballer quitting a club where he's pretty well liked and reasonably settled because his wage is being cut from £120,000 a week to £80,000 a week making me feel slightly queasy. :undecided:

NB: I don't believe the above rag for one microsecond but there are players who would, just the thought depresses me.

And Owen is still 14th.

Only really shines a light on Defoe. Benjani drops too.

So, we MUST keep him.

Oh, not again.

1. I don't understand why people compare them and try to choose one of them when clearly they're different types of strikers. We should keep him both and should play both. (even in 442, never tried before lyk)

2. I don't understand why most NUFC fans (neutrals don't do that) overrate Oba. He makes stupid decisions all the time (if some of them went in, they sure look good but that's not good enough) and is pretty selfish...(there are few more things as well). Owen is way better all round player and definitely score more if both fit.

3. My opinion of who's more important to the team is complete opposite to yours, then :coolsmiley:

I think he'd like to stay as well. If he didn't like being super-sub at Real, why'd he want it at ManU now? Imo he'd want first team football and big4 aren't likely to give him that so that leaves him Spurs, Everton, ManCity and Villa. And we're pretty much same level to him (we're bigger in turnover etc and able to pay more to him), I really don't think UEFA cup will be that important to MO. Plus, he's quite settled here, people like him here, he's wanted & needed here and our captain as well.

Unless Liverpool wants him or we make really "insulting" offer, I think we're OK  :thup:

Well, after his agents have been told to fuck off by Man U and Liverpool, now Everton, that other famous Welsh club are being touted. I can't see them paying £80k/week either so looks like he'll have to keep landing on Tyneside by alleged helicopter instead.

I havent read this entire thread but I'd just like to say that I hope we sign him up at all costs and he goes on to have another 4 or 5 top class seasons with us and finally help's land us a trophy.

I fuckin love the guy, and if he is the man I think he is then he will stay but if he does leave now it will leave a very, very bitter taste in the mouth.

it`ll be a long commute from Japan

silly season started already :rolleyes:

---------------------------

Premier League - Japanese club line up Owen bid

Eurosport - Tue, 13 May 07:05:00 2008

Japan's JEF United Chiba are planning an audacious swoop for England striker Michael Owen, according to reports in the Japanese media.

The J-League club have just unveiled former Liverpool first-team coach Alex Miller as their new manager and believe Owen can solve the team's current goal-scoring problems.

Japan's Nikkan Sports reported that Chiba officials were preparing an initial approach and that contact had been made with Owen's agent Tony Stephens.

Owen has yet to agree a new contract with Newcastle United and the former Liverpool and Real Madrid striker has been linked with a move to Premier League champions Manchester United.

A move to Japan could prove detrimental to Owen's England career, although JEF United have transfer funds available after selling several top players before the 2008 J-League season.

"The reports are not 100 percent off the mark," Chiba's Kentaro Shiga said.

"Owen's name was one of those being talked about when the team were looking at possible targets."

The club insisted new boss Miller and was not behind any potential swoop for the 28-year-old former European Footballer of the Year, who he worked with at Liverpool.

"The club were discussing options needed for individual positions before the new manager came in," Shiga said.

"The coach didn't tell the club to move for Owen."

Struggling Chiba are rooted to the bottom of the J-League first division, only winning their first game in 12 matches this season at the weekend with Miller watching from the stands.

Reuters

it`ll be a long commute from Japan

silly season started already :rolleyes:

---------------------------

Premier League - Japanese club line up Owen bid

Eurosport - Tue, 13 May 07:05:00 2008

Japan's JEF United Chiba are planning an audacious swoop for England striker Michael Owen, according to reports in the Japanese media.

The J-League club have just unveiled former Liverpool first-team coach Alex Miller as their new manager and believe Owen can solve the team's current goal-scoring problems.

Japan's Nikkan Sports reported that Chiba officials were preparing an initial approach and that contact had been made with Owen's agent Tony Stephens.

Owen has yet to agree a new contract with Newcastle United and the former Liverpool and Real Madrid striker has been linked with a move to Premier League champions Manchester United.

A move to Japan could prove detrimental to Owen's England career, although JEF United have transfer funds available after selling several top players before the 2008 J-League season.

"The reports are not 100 percent off the mark," Chiba's Kentaro Shiga said.

"Owen's name was one of those being talked about when the team were looking at possible targets."

The club insisted new boss Miller and was not behind any potential swoop for the 28-year-old former European Footballer of the Year, who he worked with at Liverpool.

"The club were discussing options needed for individual positions before the new manager came in," Shiga said.

"The coach didn't tell the club to move for Owen."

Struggling Chiba are rooted to the bottom of the J-League first division, only winning their first game in 12 matches this season at the weekend with Miller watching from the stands.

Reuters

Yawn

Guest teepee

i think owens wages are ridiculous, but personally i also would take a 33% wage cut

i just hope mort and the boys will be able to either get him to sign a new contract or sell him asap - this could overcloud all summer

He's on £120 grand a week the club want to knock it down to £80 grand per week, I think its going to be bye bye Mr Owen.

He is not on £120k per week. He probably is already on about £80k if you believe what was said when he was signed.

Meant to be £6mill per year he is on..

And is that something you heard in the last few months, or when he signed.

The history of Owen's wage is as followed:

2005: Michael Owen was signed. Reported wage is £80,000.

2006: Owen has injury problems. Wage estimations fluctuate between £80,000 and £100,000 in the media. Hearsay from doom mongerers quote wage of £100,000.

2007: Intensive speculation about Owen's future. Everyone accepts £100k figure.

2008: Owen in contract negotiations. Reported wage becomes £120k.

This increasing fee/wage phenomenom is very apparent on here, basically if a player becomes unpopular in some quarters, fees increase by word of mouth to improve justification for those arguments.

Examples are that we paid £16m for Owen, not £17m, and those idiots who constantly blithered on about Babayaro being on £50k per week.

It may be that he wants £120k on his new contract but I think the main gripe is that the club are offering him less than he is on now and not a wage increase.

Skirge, you have fallen into the traps of listening to the papers. If they say something enough, however innaccurate people start believing them. Fact is, they all have short memories and get a lot of facts wrong. We the fans know more than they do. People would be wise to believe the £80k of 3 years ago and ignore the £120k of today.

If the papers know nothing (which I agree with btw) then why should we believe the £80k a week figure?

Wouldn't surprise me if he was on £120k a week though, we were absolutely desperate for him to sign and have never been scrooge like when it comes to wages.

As others have said I don't think any of the top 4 would want him or he wouldn't go to be a squad player. I can't see anyone else offering wages we would even if he is taking a pay cut.

well when he plays he scores, he's got a damn good goals to game ratio and is vital to the team but is his heart in it? because he's like a politician in interviews, he never gives a straight answer. if he does want to leave then he should just say so, to give us time to try to find a replacement but if he wants to stay, and we want him to, then he should just come out and say so.

If the papers know nothing (which I agree with btw) then why should we believe the £80k a week figure?

It is easier to believe a figure widely reported at the time, in particular by the more reliable broadsheets at a time when they would have consulted their best sources on this, whereas now there has obviously been no research, and no sources as negotiations haven't started, and our lot are a secretive bunch.

I'm not saying £80k is definitive, but given the historical reporting of Owen's wage, it is certainly between £80k-£100k and nowhere near the £120k mentioned recently.

Guest alex

It is easier to believe a figure widely reported at the time, in particular by the more reliable broadsheets at a time when they would have consulted their best sources on this, whereas now there has obviously been no research, and no sources as negotiations haven't started, and our lot are a secretive bunch.

I'm not saying £80k is definitive, but given the historical reporting of Owen's wage, it is certainly between £80k-£100k and nowhere near the £120k mentioned recently.

So your reasoning is: don't believe the papers now, believe them 3 years ago?

My belief is that they are more likely to get their facts right at the time, than they are in the future. Very few sports journalists thoroughly research their articles, for what they write today is fish and chip paper tommorrow.

Guest alex

My belief is that they are more likely to get their facts right at the time, than they are in the future. Very few sports journalists thoroughly research their articles, for what they write today is fish and chip paper tommorrow.

Totally contradictory iyam.