Indoor/5-a-side football

Nobby

Guest Knightrider

I play good old fashioned park football a few times a week for an hour or so after a lengthy spell of not playing at all. The pace is still there but when I use my burst to get to the ball I'm fucked after that. You know you've lost it when your 9 year old nephew can run rings around you and your 15 year old nephew bullies you off the ball. :D The technique is as good as ever though  :nods:

Guest float one in

In the football club at college there was this brazilian lad who thought he was mint at football but was actually shocking. Struggled to get into even the lowest team, I'd never seen somebody whose opinion of his ability was so far above the reality. Then one lunchtime I caught him playing five-a-side in the sports hall and all of a sudden it made sense - he was great. You'd think anyone that good at indoor football would be at least decent at proper football, but its not neccessarlily so.

Just thought i'd add that.

t

In the football club at college there was this brazilian lad who thought he was mint at football but was actually shocking. Struggled to get into even the lowest team, I'd never seen somebody whose opinion of his ability was so far above the reality. Then one lunchtime I caught him playing five-a-side in the sports hall and all of a sudden it made sense - he was great. You'd think anyone that good at indoor football would be at least decent at proper football, but its not neccessarlily so.

Thats why I like full field more. 5-a-side or smaller teams is fun and a good way to build up technique, but full field requires all that technique, plus passing/shooting ability, and also a good brain.

Guest battyleespeed

It's not football, it's futsal.

I've been playing for quite a while now. Thesedays I just spray simple and safe passes but sure enough always someone tries hollywood pass or makes weird decision when on the ball and we end up losing possession which is irritating as hell.

Was struggling to keep sprinting forward and tracking back but taking 5g of creatine before session solved all that  :knuppel2:

i play 4-a-side indoor footbal...whcih is killer. virtually non-stop running for an hour, no space to dwell on the ball, all you can do is pass and then kick the most skillfull person on the opposition.

also play 5-a-side on a sunday, which is a more relaxed affair as everyone is hungover. more space and a gentler pace.

no matter what game i play, i'm, still shit. i play in a more defensive role and  can knock people off the ball, tackle and mark fairly well, cross well; but dribbling, trying to get past people, any sort of skill and generally running a lot are well beyond me.

I play good old fashioned park football a few times a week for an hour or so after a lengthy spell of not playing at all. The pace is still there but when I use my burst to get to the ball I'm fucked after that. You know you've lost it when your 9 year old nephew can run rings around you and your 15 year old nephew bullies you off the ball. :D The technique is as good as ever though  :nods:

You told me you were shit a while back ;)

That's only when he's wearing those massive boots he's got from TJ Hughes man. ;)

Played for NSG and Stevie's team tonight. Cracking game, we won 11-3. NSG got man of the match with some wonder saves.

this reminds of of a match that was supposed to be played a while back between N-O members and a team from a rival forum. 

did that ever happen? 

Guest float one in

t

Thats why I like full field more. 5-a-side or smaller teams is fun and a good way to build up technique, but full field requires all that technique, plus passing/shooting ability, and also a good brain.

Aye, its 11 a side all the way for me, but I think 5 a side is a good game, and tend to join in with a mates 5 a side team during the summer months. I always enjoy it for the first few weeks, but then start getting frustrated about the smallness of it all - you know, going 40 minutes just playing little 5 - 10 yard passes, never looking up, not being able to kick it over head height. Mind you its class for fitness - I'd far rather play that than go for a jog.

Played for NSG and Stevie's team tonight. Cracking game, we won 11-3. NSG got man of the match with some wonder saves.

this reminds of of a match that was supposed to be played a while back between N-O members and a team from a rival forum. 

did that ever happen? 

Nah don't think it did.

did that ever happen? 

Nah don't think it did.

does anyone remember why?  lack of leadership, not enough players...just laziness? 

I bet it would be class to see the Brazilian futsal team playing the Spanish side, for example.

England are shit at it like. Ranked lower than the likes of the Solomon Islands and Bahrain if memory serves me rightly. Shame there aren't more futsal courts as it's a better game than 5-a-side imo.

This to do with kids getting the talent hammered out of them to conform with the coaches idea of football? Or is there something about the anglo-saxon type that just stymies skill from birth?

Guest Knightrider

I bet it would be class to see the Brazilian futsal team playing the Spanish side, for example.

England are shit at it like. Ranked lower than the likes of the Solomon Islands and Bahrain if memory serves me rightly. Shame there aren't more futsal courts as it's a better game than 5-a-side imo.

This to do with kids getting the talent hammered out of them to conform with the coaches idea of football? Or is there something about the anglo-saxon type that just stymies skill from birth?

Futsal is a relatively new concept here so we have some catching up to do.

My own answer to the question of why can't we play like the Brazilians though is because we are not Brazilian.

Guest Knightrider

I was being humble.  :razz: Actually thinking about my 'ability' I'm not that bad to be fair to myself. My control is sloppy and very poor but I have decent technique and can proudly say that I am comfortably and genuinly two-footed. I'm not the strongest physically and I'm piss poor in the air and skills wise, I have none. You won't catch me doing a trick. I'm not the most elegant at dribbling either (due to my poor control) but I'm lightning quick and my decision making is of a high standard. I also work extremely hard, have good leadership qualities as I am very vocal and I have an excellent attitude on the pitch. I also have good spatial awareness and a creative brain, not that what I try comes off all that often.

All down to a street football education too.

I was being humble.  :razz: Actually thinking about my 'ability' I'm not that bad to be fair to myself. My control is sloppy and very poor but I have decent technique and can proudly say that I am comfortably and genuinly two-footed. I'm not the strongest physically and I'm piss poor in the air and skills wise, I have none. You won't catch me doing a trick. I'm not the most elegant at dribbling either (due to my poor control) but I'm lightning quick and my decision making is of a high standard. I also work extremely hard, have good leadership qualities as I am very vocal and I have an excellent attitude on the pitch. I also have good spatial awareness and a creative brain, not that what I try comes off all that often.

Have a word with yourself man :lol:

I play good old fashioned park football a few times a week for an hour or so after a lengthy spell of not playing at all. The pace is still there but when I use my burst to get to the ball I'm f***** after that. You know you've lost it when your 9 year old nephew can run rings around you and your 15 year old nephew bullies you off the ball. :D The technique is as good as ever though  :nods:

You told me you were s*** a while back ;)

so basically,you are quick,know what to do but don't have the talent to do it ?

did that ever happen? 

Nah don't think it did.

does anyone remember why?  lack of leadership, not enough players...just laziness? 

Probably all of the above.