The glory (KK) years: The players Part 2

Tooj

With all the doom and gloom I thought I'd start a thread discussing players who actually did something for this club under Kevin Keegan first time around, starting off with Steve Howey who was a fave of mine back in the day. Maybe I'm looking at things with rose tinted specs but my recollection of him as a player was that he could have been a similar player to Tony Adams for us had he not been deployed in his best position throughout his early career and suffered with niggly injuries. This is despite his early career as a striker. He certainly had the engine, frame and technique. He was a superb prospect and that goal against Charlton in Division 1was sublime. What we'd give for such a young talented player like him today. Could play anywhere and against . I actually spoke to someone who used to coach him a few weeks back when he was a kid and he was excellent in every position, especially as a striker, apparently. Anyway my general opinion of Howey is that despite his talent, he never quite fulfilled it. Should have been an England regular and a Toon legend. Still, he was a good player for us and I was sad to see him leave when he did. Since those days there will be many fans who never experienced that era or saw players like Howey come through and play for us so I'm hoping we end up covering every player, good and bad, who played for us back then under KK first time around (as manager).

I think Howey was better sweeping which made him a bit different to Adams in style. He was mnever too comfortable marking, so he'd fit in well with the current lot :razz: With that in mind, I thought Peacock and Albert was a better CB partnership.

Guest float one in

I think Howey was better sweeping which made him a bit different to Adams in style. He was mnever too comfortable marking, so he'd fit in well with the current lot :razz: With that in mind, I thought Peacock and Albert was a better CB partnership.

Aye Peacock was a decent defender after that difficult first season, when I seem to remember a lot of people getting on his back. That haircut didn't help him mind. Just used to love watching Albert - a real treat, as were a few other of our lot in those years.

Aye Peacock was a decent defender after that difficult first season, when I seem to remember a lot of people getting on his back. That haircut didn't help him mind. Just used to love watching Albert - a real treat, as were a few other of our lot in those years.

Aye, Peacock really struggled when he first came (transfer deadline day of thereabouts) but I think that pre-season game (Ibrox Tournament?) where he bullied Mark Hughes was the beginning of him winning the fans round. I thought he was a good player for us and was often unfairly lambasted. Any of that team would walk into the current side though.

Guest float one in

Aye, Peacock really struggled when he first came (transfer deadline day of thereabouts) but I think that pre-season game (Ibrox Tournament?) where he bullied Mark Hughes was the beginning of him winning the fans round. I thought he was a good player for us and was often unfairly lambasted. Any of that team would walk into the current side though.

The fact that a 21 year old Lee Clark would probably transform our midfield, and the team as a whole, says everything about how far we've gone backwards. That's not meant to be a dig at Clarkie, as I always thought he was a cracking midfielder, even when he was at Fulham, but back in 97 and then again in 2003 I don't think we were looking forward to signing players of his quality in the near future.

:lol:

Have I missed something?

Think the original post from 2J was a bit tongue in cheek to HTT's Watson bum-fest.

Aye, just noticed. D'oh.

The fact that a 21 year old Lee Clark would probably transform our midfield, and the team as a whole, says everything about how far we've gone backwards. That's not meant to be a dig at Clarkie, as I always thought he was a cracking midfielder, even when he was at Fulham, but back in 97 and then again in 2003 I don't think we were looking forward to signing players of his quality in the near future.

Aye. Lacked pace but he was quality when he played the midfield holding role in particular in the two-thirds of the 95/96 season.

Guest float one in

Aye. Lacked pace but he was quality when he played the midfield holding role in particular in the two-thirds of the 95/96 season.

And he could actually pass the football to a team mate and then move into space, ready to get it back again! Nah... that sounds a bit far fetched, my memory must be playing tricks again.

I wonder if part 3 will be comparing Robbie Elliott to Stuart Pearce?

He was quality in his first spell here though. Not that good obviously.

With all the doom and gloom I thought I'd start a thread discussing players who actually did something for this club under Kevin Keegan first time around, starting off with Steve Howey who was a fave of mine back in the day. Maybe I'm looking at things with rose tinted specs but my recollection of him as a player was that he could have been a similar player to Tony Adams for us had he not been deployed in his best position throughout his early career and suffered with niggly injuries. This is despite his early career as a striker. He certainly had the engine, frame and technique. He was a superb prospect and that goal against Charlton in Division 1was sublime. What we'd give for such a young talented player like him today. Could play anywhere and against . I actually spoke to someone who used to coach him a few weeks back when he was a kid and he was excellent in every position, especially as a striker, apparently. Anyway my general opinion of Howey is that despite his talent, he never quite fulfilled it. Should have been an England regular and a Toon legend. Still, he was a good player for us and I was sad to see him leave when he did. Since those days there will be many fans who never experienced that era or saw players like Howey come through and play for us so I'm hoping we end up covering every player, good and bad, who played for us back then under KK first time around (as manager).

Howey > Albert. Fact

At defending yes,i can see your point.Howey was also miles quicker than Phil.Albert was a fantastic passer of the ball and was one of our creative weapons in KKs team.,he just happened to be our centre half.I cant think of any other central defenders since that has Phils footballing ability.

Howey > Albert. Fact

If it wasn't for injuries Howey had the potential to be one of the best English Centre Backs of the 90's.

Shame that he made Woodgate look like fitness personified

Guest Knightrider

Wasn't Howey a nervous wreck where confidence is concerned? I seem to remember KK talking about that when he first started making a name for himself. Could be wrong like.