Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

I can't see his value going down at all actually. Even if he doesn't score one goal, if he gets appearances for France his club can claim more.

Kuyt was awful in the last World cup but his price stayed the same, if a club is looking to spend big on a player then they've usually scouted him for a while rather than basing it on a few games in an International tournament.

I can't see his value going down at all actually. Even if he doesn't score one goal, if he gets appearances for France his club can claim more.

Kuyt was awful in the last World cup but his price stayed the same, if a club is looking to spend big on a player then they've usually scouted him for a while rather than basing it on a few games in an International tournament.

You agree with me then? The point being his value can only go up (or stay the same). Regardless of what he does on the pitch, the more caps he gets, the more his club can get away with asking for. Nowt to do with teams scouting him.

You agree with me then? The point being his value can only go up (or stay the same). Regardless of what he does on the pitch, the more caps he gets, the more his club can get away with asking for. Nowt to do with teams scouting him.

Yes Dave, I agree with you.

The same clubs interested in him now will likely be the same clubs interested if he has a shit tournament because they've seen enough through scouting him in the past.

I don't think they'd get much less, but IMO his value could drop.  Right now he's scored two goals on his debut for France and booked a ticket for Euro 2008, with a lot of people already hyping him up and predicting that he'll do very well in the tournament.  Put him up for auction now and they could very easily get a few clubs willing to bid silly amounts in order to get him now in case he's out of reach after Euro 2008.  If he falls on his arse in the competition those same clubs won't be panicking anymore.  Other clubs may lose interest all together or move on to players who played much better in Euro 2008 that they hadn't seen much of before.

Though obviously its unlikely he'll have a really poor competition, he'll probably play well in which case they'll end up getting at least what they could now or maybe a bit more.

Guest Heneage

Been leaning towards Spain for the Euros, but if Domenech has got the bottle to go for Gomis & Benzema ahead of Henry & Anelka then I'd be tempted to stick a few quid on France.

Yeah i've been leaning towards France having checked up on the international scene just lately. It'd be interesting to see if Germany can follow up on what was a very promising World Cup. Them and Argentina were the two best teams in that tournament.

Benzema to flop. Feel free to quote me on that.

Been leaning towards Spain for the Euros, but if Domenech has got the bottle to go for Gomis & Benzema ahead of Henry & Anelka then I'd be tempted to stick a few quid on France.

Yeah i've been leaning towards France having checked up on the international scene just lately. It'd be interesting to see if Germany can follow up on what was a very promising World Cup. Them and Argentina were the two best teams in that tournament.

What are you basing that on like? Pure guess-work?

Thought exactly the same!

Guest Heneage

Not at all. I think for as arrogant as the young french man is, he's being too over hyped, the lads still young and he'll not be ready. Plus it seems alot of his goals come on smaller stages.

Not at all. I think for as arrogant as the young french man is, he's being too over hyped, the lads still young and he'll not be ready. Plus it seems alot of his goals come on smaller stages.

See i think that arrogance will serve him well.

See i think that arrogance will serve him well.

And, of course, it's quite hard scoring in any bigger stage than the Champions League when you're playing in Lyon.

Even if he wouldn't go on and have a great EC, I think flop will be harsh, unless he's absolutely gash. If a player is average in his first major tournament at the age of 20, I just don't see how that is a flop. It's not like France are depending on him anyway, they've got two other top-class strikers and one more up and coming, there really isn't much pressure on the lad at all, IMO.

Guest Heneage

I think to say he plays for Lyon is too easy, yes they are no Barcelona, but I still feel he won't perform as touted in this tournament, as he just isn't ready.

This is true.

Well when we started to look at Gomis his value was based on his league form rather than league form plus international form.  However he has banged in two on his debut for France recently, and if he continues to score at the Euro's then he his value will only increase.  I see no reason why his original league form based value would decrease if he doesn't score at Euro's.

Guest optimistic nit

tbh if gomis says he wants to go, there is very little his club will be able to do, and if nobody is willing to pay 17million, then i can see him going for less. of course darren bent went for 17million, so if his club hold out long enough then he may be worth 17million to one club.