Newcastle 0 - 1 Blackburn Rovers - 01/03/08 - Post match reaction from page 20

James

Guest LucaAltieri

Michael Owen has been a curse to this football club and he continues to destroy us.

Completely his fault today . I'm heartbroken at what has just happened.

We are in big trouble ...

You don't like Owen, we get it.

And you do, we get it.. I noticed how you said "Owen is not scoring, but at least we're creating chances for him" today, which is a change from "Owen will score, we're just not setting up chances for him to do anything with" many have been trotting around these past couple of months.. A change for the worse if you asked me. Fact is Martins gets stick for his unmissable misses, so should Owen..

That's not what I said... I said he's getting himself into positions where he's got chances... he's finding chances and getting the shots in. Blackburn's keeper kept them in the game. There's no doubt there's a couple of other opportunities Owen should have scored and will have to take the blame for the misses. That's a confidence issue. He'll start banging them in again soon enough.

I hope you're right.. Can't say I'm as confident you. When was the last time he was banging them in for us btw (referring to your use of "again" in the last sentence)?

You might have missed it, but he's been injured a bit  O0

The arguments against Owen recently has been "he's got no legs, he can't play to his old strengths."

Today he proved that that doesn't matter. There's more to his game than speed, he's got the shots in, and with any luck he'll get the break he needs.

All set up for him to go to Anfield and knock in a hattrick.

Guest LucaAltieri

Michael Owen has been a curse to this football club and he continues to destroy us.

And you do, we get it.. I noticed how you said "Owen is not scoring, but at least we're creating chances for him" today, which is a change from "Owen will score, we're just not setting up chances for him to do anything with" many have been trotting around these past couple of months.. A change for the worse if you asked me. Fact is Martins gets stick for his unmissable misses, so should Owen..

That's not what I said... I said he's getting himself into positions where he's got chances... he's finding chances and getting the shots in. Blackburn's keeper kept them in the game. There's no doubt there's a couple of other opportunities Owen should have scored and will have to take the blame for the misses. That's a confidence issue. He'll start banging them in again soon enough.

What a joke!

In case you haven't noticed we don't have time for that. Martins in now, as he will create more opportunities and will score ore goals.

Owen is soft, weak and pathetic and he is leading us into relegation.

What's so great about Martins' form that make him the better option?

Guest to4sb

When was the las time that Boro, Newcastle and Sunderland were all together in the table like this?!!

I can NOT believe we lost this game...We dominated the game for so long and had more than enough chances to score not 1, not 2 but at least 3 goals and somehow on the 90th minute the curse struck again...and the rest is history....

Honestly we played well and much better than all our previous games. Harper was great, so was Milner, Duff and Habib. Barton did ok and so did Owen. In fact most of the team did well except for Taylor which if it wasn't for good saves from Harper and some crap finishing by Blackburn, we would have definitely been punished. I want Cacapa and Faye at the back together. I think Taylor needs some time off

What a joke!

In case you haven't noticed we don't have time for that. Martins in now, as he will create more opportunities and will score ore goals.

Are you mental?

He is our leading scorer this season although he has been away for I don't know how long.

His shots also have power in them and don't dribble towards the goal and into the keepers hands.

He can actually shoot with both feet.

Now answer this ... What's so great about Owen's form that make him the better option?

Owen is shit. End of.

I took a real mixed bag of things out of watching this game.  Consequently I won't give a number rating, but will classify as the good, the bad and the mediocre....

The good:

- For large parts of the game we looked to be well in control.  I think is is happening more to a jelling of the squad than individual capabilities, as the individual capabilities can't possibly explain it.

- Harper has got to be the best reserve keeper in the league.  I think Harper and Given are pretty much the main contributors to maintaining our position in the league for the past couple of seasons.  Between them they save our arses more times than a firm grip on the soap!

- Milner is the only mid-fielder we have that is showing any value for money.  He seems to be about the only creative influence in the squad right now, and just about all chances involved him in some way.

- Martins at least looks like we have one player capable of being a forward.

The Bad:

- Butt is immensely useless.  The guy is so hopeless the opposition don't even waste a man on him.

- Smith has got to be the worst forward in the top 3 leagues.  Almost every challenge he was involved in he lost, he has no ability to score at all, he can hardly tackle to save his life, and he has no ability to maintain possession.

- Owen is completely trading on past glories now.  The whole game the commentators are talking about how a player of his quality would normally have put those goals in, but it is very evident that those past capabilities are well beyond him now.  Whilst he retains some vision, his touch, speed and scoring instinct are completely gone.  In fact he spent a good deal of this game in the midfield leaving Smith as a lone forward.

The Mediocre:

- The defensive line is a little more robust than it once was, but they still have too many incidents where they don't know where they should be and execute the most ridiculous attempts at clearing the ball.

- Barton and Duff really are not good enough to be first team players.  I think they would be fine as squad members to cover for others, but they just don't have the skills, speed or vision to cut it.  This causes the defense to continuously come under pressure as they are both easily shoved off the ball and cause the forwards to keep having to come back to fetch the ball because they can't get it forward.

- The tactics are still all over the shop.  The substitutions were better today (eventually), but we are still putting out weaker teams than we have available.

- I still think N'Zogbia is a class player, but he has spent so much time rusting in that back position he's lost some of his snap for the midfield.

Anyway, those are my initial "knee-jerking" thoughts.  Ignore them if you want, you can disagree as well it you like, I simply don't care at 4:16am.

Guest justin99.

I can NOT believe we lost this game...We dominated the game for so long and had more than enough chances to score not 1, not 2 but at least 3 goals and somehow on the 90th minute the curse struck again...and the rest is history....

Honestly we played well and much better than all our previous games. Harper was great, so was Milner, Duff and Habib. Barton did ok and so did Owen. In fact most of the team did well except for Taylor which if it wasn't for good saves from Harper and some crap finishing by Blackburn, we would have definitely been punished. I want Cacapa and Faye at the back together. I think Taylor needs some time off

+1

Guest Goalfather

If I was Martins, I would be putting my tranfer request in at the end of the season. He has been treated with contempt by all the coaches this season. There is very little difference in finishing ability btw  Martins and Owen and Martins is faster is better on the ball and I am sure has a better goals per minute ratio for Newcastle than Owen.

Guest LucaAltieri

What a joke!

Are you mental?

He is our leading scorer this season although he has been away for I don't know how long.

His shots also have power in them and don't dribble towards the goal and into the keepers hands.

Now answer this ... What's so great about Owen's form that make him the better option?

Owen is shit. End of.

Martins has 7.

Owen has 6.

Smith has 0.

If I wanted to play Martins (and I do) I know whch player I'd drop.

Absolutely gutted, I would of felt bad if we came away with a draw but their keeper pulled off some great saves. When you're down you're out of luck and that was the case for us today.

I hope you're right.. Can't say I'm as confident you. When was the last time he was banging them in for us btw (referring to your use of "again" in the last sentence)?

The arguments against Owen recently has been "he's got no legs, he can't play to his old strengths."

Today he proved that that doesn't matter. There's more to his game than speed, he's got the shots in, and with any luck he'll get the break he needs.

If we give him a new contract and he breaks down again, will you defend him (and the decision to renew his contract) saying he's (and we are) unlucky? Can you not see he's no longer the player he once was? He's supposedly fit, gets into goalscoring positions created by his teammates, yet doesn't deliver. It's apparently a confidence issue this time around. Wonder what the next excuse will be..

If I was Martins, I would be putting my tranfer request in at the end of the season. He has been treated with contempt by all the coaches this season. There is very little difference in finishing ability btw  Martins and Owen and Martins is faster is better on the ball and I am sure has a better goals per minute ratio for Newcastle than Owen.

Christ almighty. This is his FIRST possible appearance under Keegan and he's returning from injury - can you honestly blame KK for benching him?

Guest LucaAltieri

If we give him a new contract and he breaks down again, will you defend him (and the decision to renew his contract) saying he's (and we are) unlucky? Can you not see he's no longer the player he once was? He's supposedly fit, gets into goalscoring positions created by his teammates, yet doesn't deliver. It's apparently a confidence issue this time around. Wonder what the next excuse will be..

If he's a crock then he's a crock and he should not get a new contract.

If he continues to stay fit and score (he's scored 2 of our last 4 games by the way) then there's no reason why we shouldn't.

I think the majority of opinion here is just an initial reaction to the loss. Owen is the scapegoat this time round.

Leeds went down like a dead soldier. And we havent won anything since god knows, we arent able to score even with Gods son Michael  Owen.  Unless some changes are made quick, we might aswell go down.

Im hoping for a Viduka-Martins turn around. Even Viduka - Owen. Anything without smith basically.

What a joke!

Are you mental?

Owen is s***. End of.

Martins has 7.

Owen has 6.

Smith has 0.

We have two match winners in the whole team.

Martins and Zoggy, and they should be the two first people in the team int heir correct positions.

Martins deserves the chance to play with a target man who isn't completely useless, and so he should be playing with Carroll.

Owen and Smith can go to hell.

Owen's biggest Problem today was having to drop deep to look for the ball, he should of done better when he went round the keeper but his other chances were good saves more than bad misses.

Guest LucaAltieri

What a joke!

Are you mental?

Owen is s***. End of.

Martins has 7.

Owen has 6.

Smith has 0.

We have two match winners in the whole team.

Martins and Zoggy, and they should be the two first people in the team int heir correct positions.

Martins deserves the chance to play with a target man who isn't completely useless, and so he should be playing with Carroll.

Owen and Smith can go to hell.

I was with you right up until about there. Give. Head. Shake.

Well, I've maintained both Smith and Owen are not good enough for us (anymore) for a good while now.. With Owen my main criticism has been the fact that he creates nothing himself and needs chances put on a plate. If he stops putting such chances away effectively costing us the match he deserves some stick don't you think?