Newcastle 0 - 1 Blackburn Rovers - 01/03/08 - Post match reaction from page 20

James

Owen scores in big games when the heat is on.

Like yesterday?

No one is guaranteed to score in every match.

He won't get three better chances than he had yesterday. He's finished. Quicker everyone accepts it, the quicker we can get shot and move on.

Like yesterday?

He won't get three better chances than he had yesterday. He's finished. Quicker everyone accepts it, the quicker we can get shot and move on.

He's not the player he was I agree, but he'll still get us crucial goals this season IMO.

Like yesterday?

He's finished because he didn't put the ball an extra inch or two beyond Friedel's foot and dragged a shot from a tight angle wide with Friedel bearing down on him with his weaker foot. Righteo.

Like yesterday?

My money's on Owen to ram those words back down your throat!

Owen scores in big games when the heat is on. I think he could play a crucial role in the relegation head to head games.

scores in big games?

look at his record in international tournaments, it's dogshite

Like yesterday?

He's finished because he didn't put the ball an extra inch or two beyond Friedel's foot and dragged a shot from a tight angle wide with Friedel bearing down on him with his weaker foot. Righteo.

Fuck's sake. :lol:

He's started 14 league games and scored no goals with his feet man. He's missed God only knows how many sitters this season.

The excuses he is getting are laughable. If Shola had missed those three chances yesterday, he'd have been absolutely pilloried.

Like yesterday?

He's not the player he was I agree, but he'll still get us crucial goals this season IMO.

It fascinates me how many peopel believe this. I'm not knocking you or anything but I just don't understand what inspires this belief.

He is never visible in most of our games and hardly ever even gets any chances never mind actually finishing them off!

I can't see it personally.

The majority of games we don't even see Owen much. At least with Martins he is visible in every game and is in at least two very good goalscoring positions every game, even if he doesn't score them all.

Owen is showing he won't score them all either, destroying that silly myth. The problem is though, he will only get himself half the chances or even less that Martins will.

Like yesterday?

He's started 14 league games and scored no goals with his feet man. He's missed God only knows how many sitters this season.

The excuses he is getting are laughable. If Shola had missed those three chances yesterday, he'd have been absolutely pilloried.

He should have more goals than he has, no doubt. I just don't think he is finished just because he's 'missed' (right word?) a fair few chances. He is a confidence player and I think once one goes in that will hopefully give him a bit. I think that if that first one had gone in the second would have followed with that other chance, that's Owen. The reason I defend Owen is he's proved all his career that he's a great goalscorer, he's had a quarter of a season to get back into it after basically a year and a half out. The signs are there that he's getting sharper as well, it's not like he's stagnated completely. I find it encouraging that he's still making those intelligent runs and getting in those positions. One will come sooner or later I think that will give him a huge boost and more will follow.

Guest LucaAltieri

Like yesterday?

He should have more goals than he has, no doubt. I just don't think he is finished just because he's 'missed' (right word?) a fair few chances. He is a confidence player and I think once one goes in that will hopefully give him a bit. I think that if that first one had gone in the second would have followed with that other chance, that's Owen. The reason I defend Owen is he's proved all his career that he's a great goalscorer, he's had a quarter of a season to get back into it after basically a year and a half out. The signs are there that he's getting sharper as well, it's not like he's stagnated completely. I find it encouraging that he's still making those intelligent runs and getting in those positions. One will come sooner or later I think that will give him a huge boost and more will follow.

Spot on.

And, "He's started 14 league games and scored no goals with his feet man." ...does it matter how they go in, like? Couldn't give toss if he's using his nob as a putter and tapping them over the line so long as he scores.

Like yesterday?

I think he's getting far too many excuses. Andy Cole was a great finisher, now he's in the Championship. Dwight Yorke's playing in midfield for the mackems. Even Shearer was missing easy chances towards the back end of his career. Just because Owen's end has come earlier because of injury doesn't mean it hasn't come.

The only goals he can score are from crosses before the keeper can react. Said in the pub after the game that at least we wouldn't hear these pitiful excuses that we've heard all season anymore and I'm honestly stunned that people are still coming out with them. How many simple chances will it take him to miss before folk realise he's a liability in front of goal?

Like yesterday?

Spot on.

And, "He's started 14 league games and scored no goals with his feet man." ...does it matter how they go in, like? Couldn't give toss if he's using his nob as a putter and tapping them over the line so long as he scores.

Fuck me! He's not scoring!

Guest LucaAltieri

Like yesterday?

Spot on.

2 in the last 4.

Like yesterday?

Spot on.

I don't think it's helped him though, I know a goal's a goal but i think he needs to just slot one home to get his confidence back in front of goal. But yeah, I'm confident one will come, hopefully at Anfield.  :pow:

Like yesterday?

Spot on.

2 in the last 4.

Great. So he can only score from set pieces?

We are relying on a 5'6" striker to score enough goals from set pieces to keep us up?

I'll get my Visitors Guide to Hull out.

Possibly... but if we want to talk about form over the season then neither are impressive. If you want to talk about recent form then Owen is actually better. Martins couldn't fight his way into the Nigeria side.

It's all unimportant anyway... ideally they should both be starting.

The fact is one of them has to start, preferable with Viduka or Shola, & of the two Martins offers more. Owen is a player who thrives in a team that creates loads of chances & where he can afford to miss. We bought him to take chances & the fact is he has missed an awful lot more than he has taken. He has scored half chances & headers; he has missed chances that quite frankly I would have taken in my Saturday afternoon footballing days & chances that I would have been dropped for if I'd missed. I might sound full of s*** but I'd take myself on against Owen with 10 1 on 1's from a 25 yard run in on the keeper.

The fact that I can even say that is frightening.

I can probably think of 10 chances for Owen this season that I would expect to see buried at Hartlepool. Three today, two against Wigan, one piss easy chance against Man City, one against Arsenal, there's definitely more.

He's finished. This "he'll score if we create" myth just doesn't wash anymore, especially not after today.

Spot on.

Guest LucaAltieri

Like yesterday?

Spot on.

2 in the last 4.

Great. So he can only score from set pieces?

We are relying on a 5'6" striker to score enough goals from set pieces to keep us up?

I'll get my Visitors Guide to Hull out.

So what's your complaint:

He's not scoring?

He's not scoring the type of goals you want?

He missed chances he should have scored yesterday?

It sounds to me like you're using the latter two complaints to justify your opinion that he's "finished". Neither of which support that point of view point.

You're entitled to your opinion but I'm confident that time will prove you wrong.

Why do people keep talking about 2 in the last 4???

He's had a good run of games now and didn't just return 4 games ago did he???

When was the last time he scored prior to the infamous 2 in the last 4 out of interest???

When was the last time he scored prior to the infamous 2 in the last 4 out of interest???

What the fuck does that matter?

Guest LucaAltieri

Alright then, 3 in the last 7 (since Keegan took over)... doubled what he had previously (I think).

Either way you can't exactly make out he's not scored recently.

Sorry, how can you justify a Premiership striker who can't score with his feet? If he had 15 goals, fair enough - he's got fucking four! Martins has got more than that and he hasn't played for two fucking month - he's shit though, cos he can't finish. bluelaugh.gif

It reminds me of the people who used to say in Shearer's final seasons that it was ok that he was only scoring four goals a season from open play because he stuck a few penalties away.

What it amounts to is that no matter how well we play and how many chances we create for Michael Owen, he will miss them. But it's ok, because he might head in a set piece every once in a while.

It's not just yesterday either, he's been doing it all season. Most of his "shots" the keeper throws his hat on. The chances he had against Wigan, Arsenal, City, Blackburn, your average Premiership striker - Defoe, Bent, Johnson, Kitson, Kuyt - will score without a second thought. Once or twice is acceptable, nobody's perfect but we're in March and he's missed every single one.

it's also 2 in the last 13.