Attacking football without goalscorers..can it work?

TRon

We want to play attacking football, which with our defence is understandable. But when our attacking players consist of players who can't remember what it feels like to score, is it still a wise option?

Duff

Milner

Smith

Barton

Butt

These are all attacking players, Butt apart,  who can't score a goal between them to save their lives. If they are going to be in the starting line up, then maybe we should re-consider our tactics?

Guest Knightrider

What's the alternatives? Dogged football without dogged characters? Defensive football without a midfield to protect the defence? The long ball game with midgets up front? At least this way is more easy on the eye, even if it's not exactly working.

What's the alternatives? Dogged football without dogged characters? Defensive football without a midfield to protect the defence? The long ball game with midgets up front? At least this way is more easy on the eye, even if it's not exactly working.

You've changed your tune.

Guest Knightrider

You've changed your tune.

Checks forum rules....

The long ball game with midgets up front?

Reminds of when Willi Mc started the season with dwarfs Hendrie, Mira & Robertson upfront & had Dave Beasent kicking it to them. . We went down that season iirc!!!! Oh s*** we started this season playing long ball to dwarfs, lets hope  history doesn't repeats itself.

http://www.toonarama.co.uk/programmes/1988-89.JPG

KK tries to play football, but we dont have the players for it...

Imagine the crack on here if he played long ball shite...(which we'd still lose seen as we have 11 clowns playing for us)

Yup. The level of basic technical ability throughout our starting eleven yesterday was laughable.

Yup. The level of basic technical ability throughout our starting eleven yesterday was laughable.

Yet he still managed to get them creating a hatfull of chances. If we survive, and he clears this lot out and gets better players, this place will go fucking bonkers again

If anything I'm more encouraged and enthusiastic about attacking football than I have been in a long time after watching us pen back Blackburn for 90 minutes yesterday. I posted this yesterday when I was seriously down after another awful result. I have real concerns about attacking all out as if you don't have goalscorers, you leave yourselves open to be countered and picked off by better teams. I would seriously consider going 4-5-1 next week to make it harder for Liverpool instead of handing them the points. At least against the quality teams we should cut our cloth accordilngly. Against the struggling teams we have to go at them.

Just reflecting again on yesterday's game if things were going our way, that could have been one of our best performances of the season. I don't agree with some of the team selections but the players gave it everything and deserved better.

Guest Knightrider

If anything I'm more encouraged and enthusiastic about attacking football than I have been in a long time after watching us pen back Blackburn for 90 minutes yesterday. I posted this yesterday when I was seriously down after another awful result. I have real concerns about attacking all out as if you don't have goalscorers, you leave yourselves open to be countered and picked off by better teams. I would seriously consider going 4-5-1 next week to make it harder for Liverpool instead of handing them the points. At least against the quality teams we should cut our cloth accordilngly. Against the struggling teams we have to go at them.

Just reflecting again on yesterday's game if things were going our way, that could have been one of our best performances of the season. I don't agree with some of the team selections but the players gave it everything and deserved better.

I'd like to see us approach the Liverpool game in the same way we did away to Villa where for 45 minutes we were excellent I thought. Although without the second half capitulation. I've been impressed by some of our football but it's been in patches or spells that have either came to nothing, not achieved what it should have done or left us wide open at the back. It's encouraging that KK has got these misfits playing football at times however. You can clearly see what a decent NUFC side under him could do in terms of playing. We'd be a goal threat and would be fun to watch. I said yesterday that had this been a proper KK side with all those chances, corners and dominance, Blackburn would have been slaughtered. We used to pin teams back like that all the time first time around, good and shite teams.

Just makes me laugh reading through these threads tonight, seeing people calling KK a cunt for playing Smith and saying he should 'fuk' off. Anyone who watched us batter Blackburn led by the supposed up and coming Mark Hughes shouldn't have failed to be moved. These are players low on confidence who don't know where their next win is coming from, yet they went at Blackburn all guns blazing, even if the sights were off. Testament to KK's motivational skills. Just imagine what he could do with real quality players to work with.

Attacking football without goalscorers would be bad enough. Attacking football without many players who are actually any good is even worse. And thats where we are now.

On Saturday our only 'decent' attacking footballers were a winger who runs like he's in treacle, and a forward who appears to have his boots on the wrong feet.

Guest Knightrider

Attacking football without goalscorers would be bad enough. Attacking football without many players who are actually any good is even worse. And thats where we are now.

On Saturday our only 'decent' attacking footballers were a winger who runs like he's in treacle, and a forward who appears to have his boots on the wrong feet.

Worse than what? Attacking football is our only option and way out of this. How would you have us playing, with these shite players you never tire of repeating, if you were KK?

Guest Knightrider

Just imagine what he could do with real quality players to work with.

And in a more upward environment rather than a doom and gloom one.

Attacking football is our only option and way out of this.

I think that's true, for a start we don't have players capable of sitting back and defending for 90 mins. Which brings us back to the point of the thread. If we ARE going to play attacking football then we need to give our lads the artillery to do it. Smith out, Martins in for a start. Zog in and Duff out would also increase our firepower IMO.

Just makes me laugh reading through these threads tonight, seeing people calling KK a cunt for playing Smith and saying he should 'fuk' off. Anyone who watched us batter Blackburn led by the supposed up and coming Mark Hughes shouldn't have failed to be moved. These are players low on confidence who don't know where their next win is coming from, yet they went at Blackburn all guns blazing, even if the sights were off. Testament to KK's motivational skills. Just imagine what he could do with real quality players to work with.

I'd agree that the spirit in the side looked good. Where the pressure told a bit was the finer points of decision-making - players taking another touch instead of hitting the ball first time (eg Duff), and then at the end, throwing everyone forward when a draw would have been better than nothing.