Who is better?

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest louiseville_lip

I'm new to these boards, am I right?

:lol:

Good one.

Pardon?  I used to get on toonchat many years ago till it was dibanded.  Been working for the British Geological Survey in Greenland since then.

So your name is absolutely not Nick, Stevie or Tom? Okay then.

No mate, why would you think my name was something like that?  I'm not here to cause trouble mate, I just saw this website and thought I'd give it a look ok?  As you are the admin if you don't want me here I will respect your wishes and leave.

Phil Neville's been excellent for Everton, and people would have gone spare had we signed him. Mind, he'd have probably played like Nicky Butt here.

I actually thought we should have gone for him at the time.

Good one.

Pardon?  I used to get on toonchat many years ago till it was dibanded.  Been working for the British Geological Survey in Greenland since then.

No mate, why would you think my name was something like that?  I'm not here to cause trouble mate, I just saw this website and thought I'd give it a look ok?  As you are the admin if you don't want me here I will respect your wishes and leave.

Purely because you're using a proxy to access the forum. Unless you happen to live in Scottsdale, Arizona, of course.

Good one.

Pardon? I used to get on toonchat many years ago till it was dibanded. Been working for the British Geological Survey in Greenland since then.

No mate, why would you think my name was something like that? I'm not here to cause trouble mate, I just saw this website and thought I'd give it a look ok? As you are the admin if you don't want me here I will respect your wishes and leave.

Purely because you're using a proxy to access the forum. Unless you happen to live in Scottsdale, Arizona, of course.

Detective Dave is on the case.

Guest louiseville_lip

Good one.

Is it against the rules to use a proxy? 

Neville (P) is another player who has a reputation for being shite, amongst the clueless majority in this country.  You'd hear Phil Neville and people would laugh.  People only remember the tackle in Charleroi that put us out of Euro 2000.  He's a really good player though, he's not Ronaldo, he doesn't claim to be, but he gets on with his job, positionally he's excellent and has never let Everton OR Manchester United down.

I'm not sure what having more England caps has to do with anything considering they played at different times, meaning they faced different competition for a place in the team, the won more trophies point is debatable too as as playing in a better and more successful team doesn't make you a better individual.

An example is that Owen has more England caps and has won more trophies than Shearer but I don't think anyone would say Owen was the better player, black and white glasses on or not.

How much have you seen of Viv Anderson at his peak to say Neville was better considering you're 27?

Fair enough, maybe the caps argument is a little shaky.  But you certainly look a better individual playing in a better team.  For example would Ronaldo look as good for us as he does for Man Utd considering our mongs wouldn't be able to run onto his passes and anticipate what he is thinking as well as the likes of Rooney and Tevez?

Maybe it's a bit of siege mentality coming in when people dismiss the Neville brothers out of hand, moreso Gary Neville.  Just smacks of listening to cretinous opinion and taking it on board (after Phil's tackle in Euro 2000, etc)

I agree with the top part, people talk about how much Ronaldinho improved as an individual when he moved from PSG to Barcelona but it's hard to judge if he looked better because he's surrounded by better players or not, I'm not sure if that point backs Neville up as an individual or not though, would people think he was one of the best players in the World if he were here? It's hard to judge what would happen unless he moved to a smaller club at his peak.

Without knowing what would happen you can only take it at face value and that is that Neville has been excellent for Man Utd for the past decade.

Gary Neville must be the most underrated player in the history of the Premiership. He gets knocked by so many crackerjacks who know nothing about football it's untrue. Why? I would guess because he doesn't play for a London club.

No wide man has consistantly got the better of him (unlike Beckham, who Cashley Cole sussed early on and forced Ferguson's hand)

You don't get to captain Manchester United if your shit nor do you get to play for England 85 times.

Guest LucaAltieri

Gary Neville must be the most underrated player in the history of the Premiership. He gets knocked by so many crackerjacks who know nothing about football it's untrue. Why? I would guess because he doesn't play for a London club.

No wide man has consistantly got the better of him (unlike Beckham, who Cashley Cole sussed early on and forced Ferguson's hand)

You don't get to captain Manchester United if your shit nor do you get to play for England 85 times.

Nobody is calling him shit. We're disputing the fact he was "one of the best 3 right-backs in the world" at his peak. He wasn't. That doesn't automatically make him shit.

Guest float one in

Zanetti's the best right-back of the past decade iyam. Cafu may be a tad more dynamic, but Zanetti overall is a class act. Not saying Cafu wasn't in his pomp btw.

Aye, great right back, Zanetti. I used to think Panucci was boss when Football Italia was on channel 4 as well, but didn't seem the same player when he came back from Madrid. 

Roma used to have this one called Moriero or something like that, he was great to watch, as was Cafu - brilliant athlete.

Guest Knightrider

People are assessing this all wrong. The thread didn't ask which manager is better at winning trophies, just who is the better manager. Myself, based on managerial and coaching qualities, then I'd say Wenger. Is Gary Neville a better player than Shearer btw?

People are assessing this all wrong. The thread didn't ask which manager is better at winning trophies, just who is the better manager. Myself, based on managerial and coaching qualities, then I'd say Wenger. Is Gary Neville a better player than Shearer btw?

at what...darts,yahtzee,pin the tail on the donkey ?

Think G Neville is criminally underrated. not entirely sure what people have seen to suggest he's not as good as others make out. The only criticsim i could make for him is that he isnt as dynamic and athletic as the likes of Cafu and Zanetti and therefore isnt as effective and as pentrative when he goes forward but i still think he supports the RW really well.

Would put him up there with the best in the world in his pomp. If he was foriegn there would be no question.

Surely when you look at two managers managing two of the best and biggest clubs in England then trophies is the only objective way of assessing who is best. It's obviously different for players.

Guest louiseville_lip

Arguing with Sima about Man United is about as useful as arguing with Martin Jol about Spurs.

Wenger is currently the better manager.

The phrase "like pulling teeth" was made for the highlighted bit.

Guest Knightrider

Surely when you look at two managers managing two of the best and biggest clubs in England then trophies is the only objective way of assessing who is best. It's obviously different for players.

Is Souness a better manager than Keegan? One has bags of trophies, one has none.

I'd agree with that. I don't see how you could say someone's managing of a club is better than someone elses based on anything else when assessing two of the biggest clubs about.

Is Souness a better manager than Keegan? One has bags of trophies, one has none.

That's a different thing though. I was as specifc as I could be and yet you still seem to have missed my point about the comparison between Wenger and Ferguson (i.e. trophies are the only objective way to assess which of those two are best).

There are loads of mitigating factors which point to KK being better than Souness imo despite the latter winning things.

Surely its fair to say that Souness is a better manager overall than Keegan?

I know there is discontent towards Souness because of obvious reasons but he has throughtout his career won more things than keegan has and also done it in foreign leagues, there are obvious vairable which cant really be accounted for in greater details such as managing dominant teams but i think it is fair to say that at the end of the day, whenboth retire Sounes would be considered thebtter manager.

You don't get to captain Manchester United if your s*** nor do you get to play for England 85 times.

Agreed.