What worries me

Guest Knightrider

8s, 9s and mixed (i.e. a few teenagers). I don't actually coach as such though, more of a facilitator as I believe the game to be the best coach.

So you'll be changing your name to FacilitatorHTT?

Guest Knightrider

So anyone could become a footballer with the right coaching but you don't believe coaching is important? Have I got that right?

No. I'm not in the business of making footballers, I'm in the business of letting kids play football for fun and nothing more, especially those of younger ages. I couldn't care less about improving their technique or whatever, too many kids don't get to experience football freely for what it is, playtime. So kids under me don't get told what to do or screamed at if they make a mistake, they just play. Alex you really have to understand the shift that has taken place in kids' football and youth football development. The reason why our national team is getting shitter and why our clubs are producing less better players is because the shift has changed. It's now not so much about ability but physical strengths. Clubs believe they can coach technique and ability and they can to a degree but it's at the expense of flair, freedom of expression and creativity, natural ability, hence why most players coming through are nowt special. Honestly, you could join a course tomorrow and be able to do every trick Ronaldo can do in a matter of months. The academy mentality is now spreading to kids' football outside those walls, youth teams are full of big, strong quick kids - cloggers who battle hard and run all day, while the smaller and weaker skillful kids stand on the touchline getting the odd minute here and there. Because street football is dead kids aren't learning the game naturally or being allowed to become individuals. I try to recreate the street football environment by just letting them play. No coaching even though I'm qualified, no win at all costs attitude, no screaming from the touchlines, nothing. In fact I actually join in with some of the games. Fantastic fun. Played today, mixed ages, some as young as 6, some as old as 17. One goal, huge game of sides. Me and the street wardens who also facilitate plan on creating a team based on the "just let them play" format which kids don't get enough of these days.

Guest battyleespeed

Not only our players lack experience of relegation fight but Wigan, Birmingham, mackems, etc. players are showing much more hunger and will to win. Physically & mentally they seem to be much more fitter than our lot and it might have something to do with what HTT wrote about. They know they are performing below expectations and don't seem to have any real belief in what they are doing which I think is one major cause why we always implode after conceding the first goal. Low on confidence and motivation our players just can't seem to produce aggression and sharpness what would be needed to really have a go at the opposition.

So anyone could become a footballer with the right coaching but you don't believe coaching is important? Have I got that right?

No. I'm not in the business of making footballers, I'm in the business of letting kids play football for fun and nothing more, especially those of younger ages. I couldn't care less about improving their technique or whatever, too many kids don't get to experience football freely for what it is, playtime. So kids under me don't get told what to do or screamed at if they make a mistake, they just play. Alex you really have to understand the shift that has taken place in kids' football and youth football development. The reason why our national team is getting shitter and why our clubs are producing less better players is because the shift has changed. It's now not so much about ability but physical strengths. Clubs believe they can coach technique and ability and they can to a degree but it's at the expense of flair, freedom of expression and creativity, natural ability, hence why most players coming through are nowt special. Honestly, you could join a course tomorrow and be able to do every trick Ronaldo can do in a matter of months. The academy mentality is now spreading to kids' football outside those walls, youth teams are full of big, strong quick kids - cloggers who battle hard and run all day, while the smaller and weaker skillful kids stand on the touchline getting the odd minute here and there. Because street football is dead kids aren't learning the game naturally or being allowed to become individuals. I try to recreate the street football environment by just letting them play. No coaching even though I'm qualified, no win at all costs attitude, no screaming from the touchlines, nothing. In fact I actually join in with some of the games. Fantastic fun. Played today, mixed ages, some as young as 6, some as old as 17. One goal, huge game of sides. Me and the street wardens who also facilitate plan on creating a team based on the "just let them play" format which kids don't get enough of these days.

Quality post HTT.

There is an article along the same lines in last months 4-4-2.

One thing I notice less and less: Kids playing football with balls/stones/bottles/gloves on car parks/roads/parks/alleys. When I was a kid we were out till it was dark kicking anything round. Sad really.

Guest optimistic nit

what seems to be apparrent is that the team are unmotivated, confidence is at rock bottom and they are very nervy. our 4 away games after brum are against pompey, spurs, west ham and everton, who barring citeh and blackburn are the teams that are all chasing europe. i have zero confidence that we can get anything from any of those games. we also have (again bizzarely) chelsea at home on game 37. just imagine going into the last 5 games of the season needing to win even one of them (you can look the games up). how neverous would the players and the crowd get, we'd crack imo, and keegan doesn't exactly have a good record at handling pressure.

we really do need 7 minimum points against reading, brum and fulham, but the thing is we are very beatable at the moment. were shaky at the back and cant break teams down, so while i dont think we'll lose any of these games we could easily draw all 3 or 2/3. the shining light is that west ham and spurs are teams that can just not turn up, so points against them are entirely possible, although that would really depend on whether they turn up or not, and would be out of our control. wins in our next 2 would send us into WHL with confidence, and that could be enough to get something there, but going into the last 3 games needing even one point will be tense beyond belief.

we're pretty screwed imo, and this is the first time as a toon fan that i've been concerned with relegation.

Pressue or no pressure, there's no excuse for how piss poorly the players we've invested in have performed and there's no excuse for the continuously daft team selections. Sure, the pressure is high, but it wouldn't be so high if the players and management et al hadn't dumped themselves in this situation in the first place. Also, if I got paid as much as they do, I reckon I could make a good fist of playing in front of 52,000 people a week and representing and admittedly over-bearing public fan base.

Pressue or no pressure, there's no excuse for how piss poorly the players we've invested in have performed and there's no excuse for the continuously daft team selections. Sure, the pressure is high, but it wouldn't be so high if the players and management et al hadn't dumped themselves in this situation in the first place. Also, if I got paid as much as they do, I reckon I could make a good fist of playing in front of 52,000 people a week and representing and admittedly over-bearing public fan base.

We the fans have no choice we are stuck with Newcastle.

As for the team, who do you pick ? players like Viduka with big wage packet who couldnt give a toss, or like N'Zogbia who doesnt want to play for us anyway.

These are the sort of problems KK has to wrestle with when motivating a team to put out.

72% of the clubs income is spent on wages for this lot. They should have to pay it all back if they take us down.

Doug.

Guest alijmitchell

Quality post HTT.

There is an article along the same lines in last months 4-4-2.

One thing I notice less and less: Kids playing football with balls/stones/bottles/gloves on car parks/roads/parks/alleys. When I was a kid we were out till it was dark kicking anything round. Sad really.

Very commendable, and probably the right way to go. How many of us spent hours playing in the back lane with mates, on a field with jumpers for goalposts, even in the living room, trying to take the piss out of your mates and be creative, only to play for your school/junior side/join a football course like football in the community, and felt completely gutted when something you tried didn't come off and got you a fucking bollocking from everyone (even though we we're probably never going to make it anyway)? It always shot my confidence, and I often just didn't try to do anything special with the ball. So go on coach, let them play, and bloody enjoy trying to 'meg someone on the edge of their own box.

8s, 9s and mixed (i.e. a few teenagers). I don't actually coach as such though, more of a facilitator as I believe the game to be the best coach.

Bit like a teacher who doesn't actually teach. "Life is the best lesson".

Sorry, but I don't agree with you. If you were coaching under 8's I'd agree though.

If you want kids to improve at the game, you coach them. Natural ability and love for the game only gets you so far.

Guest Knightrider

Sorry, but I don't agree with you. If you were coaching under 8's I'd agree though.

If you want kids to improve at the game, you coach them. Natural ability and love for the game only gets you so far.

This is the whole point though, now if I were trying to develop footballers then yes they would need coached at some point I dare say, but I'm not. I don't look at these kids as a future Wayne Rooney or a potential star in the making I just see them as kids enjoying football for what it is - a game of fun. That's the problem with society today, we can't leave things alone. We see kids mucking about playing football for the sheer hell of it and think they somehow need our help when in reality they don't. In fact adult rule, especially in kids' football, is proving quite damaging to kids and our sport. Kids have a right to play football freely without any form of adult involvement or our outlook on the sport being imposed on what is essentially their play time.

This is the whole point though, now if I were trying to develop footballers then yes they would need coached at some point I dare say, but I'm not. I don't look at these kids as a future Wayne Rooney or a potential star in the making I just see them as kids enjoying football for what it is - a game of fun. That's the problem with society today, we can't leave things alone. We see kids mucking about playing football for the sheer hell of it and think they somehow need our help when in reality they don't. In fact adult rule, especially in kids' football, is proving quite damaging to kids and our sport. Kids have a right to play football freely without any form of adult involvement or our outlook on the sport being imposed on what is essentially their play time.

So what do you actually do?

Guest toonlass

I think the Birmingham game is a big game, and we need a win. The morale in the team is on the floor at the moment, they looked mentally shattered and their confidence is pap. So a win at Birmingham would do them all the world of good, and give them some belief that they can do this. We have some of the most important games in the season coming up, against fellow strugglers (fucking hate typing that) and we need to get some points on the board, some wins under our belts and the lads' confidence back up.

I'm praying we go in there and batter them. 3 or 4 nil.

But i'll be jumping for joy with a 1-0 victory mind you. 

I think a battering would do the lads a LOAD of confidence, psychologically that is the best way to get the team spirit up is a straight up, powerful convincing victory.  I'm not even sure we are capable of doing so...But heres to hoping, and praying. HOWAY the lads.

I think the Birmingham game is a big game, and we need a win. The morale in the team is on the floor at the moment, they looked mentally shattered and their confidence is pap. So a win at Birmingham would do them all the world of good, and give them some belief that they can do this. We have some of the most important games in the season coming up, against fellow strugglers (f****** hate typing that) and we need to get some points on the board, some wins under our belts and the lads' confidence back up.

Confidence is the key.  If Newcastle could go to Brum believing they can win, they could well walk away from St Andrews with a point, maybe more.  But Newcastle's confidence is in tatters and, tbh, Brum's confidence is high having beaten Spurs 4-1.  We were awful but I'm a bit undecided whether they actually played better irrespective of how badly we played.  Maybe tomorrow night's match at Pompey will show whether they really believe they can get out of the relegation fight.  If Brum get anything out of Pompey then I'll be fearing for Newcastle.

I also think Brum have turned a corner since McLeish came and it isn't going to be easy for us at all. The key is whether KK has the courage to make big changes in the team. He surely has to start with Martins up front, I know it won't be popular to say it but I think Geremi has to start as well.

If he plays with Duff and Smith we'll lose, we may as well play with 9 men.

Making Owen Captain of course means he'll never drop him for Martins, no matter how badly he plays.

I also think Brum have turned a corner since McLeish came and it isn't going to be easy for us at all. The key is whether KK has the courage to make big changes in the team. He surely has to start with Martins up front, I know it won't be popular to say it but I think Geremi has to start as well.

If he plays with Duff and Smith we'll lose, we may as well play with 9 men.

Making Owen Captain of course means he'll never drop him for Martins, no matter how badly he plays.

when you were writing that, what in the previous 9 games of kelvin suggested to you he'd do the right thing?  the thing that would make sense and win a game?

incredible

I'm praying we go in there and batter them. 3 or 4 nil.

But i'll be jumping for joy with a 1-0 victory mind you. 

I think a battering would do the lads a LOAD of confidence, psychologically that is the best way to get the team spirit up is a straight up, powerful convincing victory.  I'm not even sure we are capable of doing so...But heres to hoping, and praying. HOWAY the lads.

I think you need to lower your expectations. We'll be lucky to come away with a point.

Its called hope mate. Its called being optimistic. Maybe unrealistic as well - make fun of me if you will, but if you ask me...I'm gunning for 3 points every match, no matter who it is. Its the way I've always believed sport should be played.

Guest Knightrider

Nothing other than joining in or watching. Sometimes I'll fetch the goal out and a few balls if the kids themselves haven't sorted these things out for themselves and the odd time you will, as an adult, have to step in to sort a few skirmishes and to remind the elder kids that there are bairns about. The West End's very own Terry Mac :lol:

Y

Nothing other than joining in or watching. Sometimes I'll fetch the goal out and a few balls if the kids themselves haven't sorted these things out for themselves and the odd time you will, as an adult, have to step in to sort a few skirmishes and to remind the elder kids that there are bairns about. The West End's very own Terry Mac :lol:

Coach, you throw in the odds and bets with the bookies on the upcoming sporting events when you have a talk-about with the youngins?   :laugh:

So the whole "since I got into coaching" should actually read "since I became a youth club leader...."?