What worries me

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Ever since I got into coaching it's become more apparent to me that the environment is far more important than ability. Optimistic Nut basically said in another thread that our players may not be good enough in general but they are better than most of the players that make up our rivals all trying to cling onto their Premiership status. And I agree in theory. But where we may have the advantage in terms of ability (only just mind) I worry our rivals have the most important advantages over us which is their respective environments. At Newcastle the pressure is always high, more often than not from within. Now that we are in danger of going down the pressure from outside is also huge. Newcastle United are not expected to be in a relegation fight. The likes of sunderland et al are however.

To them this is normal, for us it's a new experience despite recent flirtations. This pressure to stay up where we are concerned will be much more intense than say the pressure to stay up at Fulham or Birmingham. Our players will know they have underachieved and are becoming the laughing stock of the league, they know the spotlight is on them, they know there are parts of the country willing them to take us down. At Fulham they haven't underachieved, they are where their talents should be - fighting the drop. Their fans expect a relegation fight and so do most of their players. The spotlight isn't on them and parts of the nation couldn't care less what happens to them either. This in terms of the environment they operate in is much more healthy as opposed to the environment we are operating in and far more conducive to staying up.

So while we do have more ability than our rivals, if you ask me I think in terms of environment we are at a disadvantage and this is what I worry about chiefly.

Guest MaetihS

What worries me is that there is a hardly any improvement since KK takes ovr. What good football..so far that has been dished out are worse than udner Roeders and not much better from Big Sam.

We probably should have got relegated last year under Roeder but he just got lucky with some results towards the end of the season.

Agree with Coach. The pressure on us, as the the newcomers to the relegation battle and as everyone's favourite relegation candidates could, and looks like to be will, prove to be too much for the players

Thing is though, my opinion hasn't changed since the liverpool game. We were always going to get a pasting there. Hopefully we will get something at Brum and then we MUST beat Fulham or we will go down for sure.

Thing is though, my opinion hasn't changed since the liverpool game. We were always going to get a pasting there. Hopefully we will get something at Brum and then we MUST beat Fulham or we will go down for sure.

Birmingham will be right up for this and I am sure their fans will create a nasty atmosphere. Ultimate test for the players to see if they are up for this and if they have the balls for the fight. In a some respects,a tougher test than any game against the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U etc..

Fulham game might be too late

Guest Knightrider

If we lose to Birmingham, I think our fate will be sealed. Even a draw isn't good enough. It's a 6 pointer and we need 3 of them badly.

If we lose to Birmingham, I think our fate will be sealed. Even a draw isn't good enough. It's a 6 pointer and we need 3 of them badly.

Am not sure a point would be such a bad thing so long as it is followed with a win at home to Fulham.

Reason to take confidence from a draw with Birmingham - score draw would be nice if thats what its going to be

Defeat would be a shitter of the highest order

Get away man. Fulham, Reading and Sunderland at home still to play after that.

Guest fraser

Cobblers.

That's Northampton Town.

Guest Knightrider

I'll summarise the initial post for those who gave up on HTT long ago: psychology will be important over the next nine games.

A thrilling insight! :razz:

I'm referring to many things like the experience of fighting relegation which a good number of our players lack. The "environment" covers more things that psychology.

Guest Knightrider

Get away man. Fulham, Reading and Sunderland at home still to play after that.

The mackems game could go either way, I don't fancy having to rely on such a game myself. The other two... weren't we saying the same about Boro, Bolton! I think if we could beat Birmingham, a fellow struggler, on the road, it will do confidence the world of good and with it condemn one of our rivals to a home defeat, games they themselves must win. I think it's a must win game myself and it could be the turning point or a tap on that nail.

The worrying thing about the blueshite is that they are showing signs of having a bit of spirit recently.

If i were a Mag, that'd worry me. The other thing is that, anyone else playing Sunderland at home in a relegation battle would fancy their chances, but in a derby match, that goes out the window.

Still don't think you're going to go down, mind, i just think that Birmingham match will be potentially very tricky.

Guest Brummiemag

Am not sure a point would be such a bad thing so long as it is followed with a win at home to Fulham.

Reason to take confidence from a draw with Birmingham - score draw would be nice if thats what its going to be

We cannot afford to lose at Birmingham, not least because confidence would then be at rock bottom for the Fulham game. Im really worried about this Birmingham game, they are gonna be really up for it and they are playing ok at home. I would settle for a draw at Birmingham and a win against Fulham. The Fulham and Reading home games are the must win games.   

We cannot afford to lose at Birmingham, not least because confidence would then be at rock bottom for the Fulham game. Im really worried about this Birmingham game, they are gonna be really up for it and they are playing ok at home. I would settle for a draw at Birmingham and a win against Fulham. The Fulham and Reading home games are the must win games.   

I have a nasty feeling Reading are going to have a decent end to the season

Were spirited against us in the second half, then won the next two games. However, look how many places they've jumped in the table on the back of a minor improvement. That could happen to any side in the relegation mix.

Were spirited against us in the second half, then won the next two games. However, look how many places they've jumped in the table on the back of a minor improvement. That could happen to any side in the relegation mix.

Fingers crossed mate

I wouldn't hold much hope for the Birmingham game, they are playing very well right now. If we don't beat Fulham and the Mackems then I would imagine we will either go down or survive by maybe a point.

I agree with the point about the pressure being huge, and it is just going to get worse and worse and worse with every game we dont win. If we get nothing at Birmingham then the next game becomes worse and it gets to the players even more. As soon as we win one game we will be fine and the pressure will go - the problem is that that first win might just come too late.

Guest Knightrider

8s, 9s and mixed (i.e. a few teenagers). I don't actually coach as such though, more of a facilitator as I believe the game to be the best coach.

So anyone could become a footballer with the right coaching but you don't believe coaching is important? Have I got that right?