Current Feelings?

Willow
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i'm suprised how positive people are. never mind being dragged into it, we're already in it!

we have to get at least a point at birmingham, for confidence as much as anything. it is all well and good saying we have 3 games ay home to get our wins, but if we do crap elsewhere then we'll need to win all three of the home games (reading, fulham, mackems iirc). we're setting ourselves up for a fall if we do that. we couldn't beat bolton and boro at home and havent won once since mid-december so i am suprised people think those 3 games will be cakewalks guaranteeing us 9 points. and as alex said, they'll be high pressure and our players haven't shown a lot of guts or nerve recently.

people may say other sides have tough run-ins but we can't rely on other teams to be shit, everyone on here thought Reading were finished and were counting on them finishing below us. now they seem to have hit a bit of form. our goal difference being so bad means that even though we are level with a bunch of other sides, in reality they are ahead of us and we have to do that bit extra. i don't even think the other threatened side's run-ins are that bad tbh. i think bolton and wigan are the two we have to overhaul and i think we'll need another 9 points to do it, maybe even 10.

We've played more teams from the top half than any other club down there and still aren't in the shit.

Keegan's team haven't lost to a team outside the top 7....and deserved to win both of those games.

Keegans run of 8 games so far have been the toughest all season.  Our opening 3 or 4 months of fixtures should have had us firmly rooted in the top half, so this run wouldn't have presented any danger.

Guest Phil K

Actually - looking at that avatar of KK and The Great Escape - maybe if we started such a feeling, singing the tune, etc it might even affect those tossers out there shaming the black and white strip ?

God....talk about clutching at straws.......please excuse me, it's desperation talking... :undecided:

We were in the bottom three several times under Shepherd.....and were only 5 points from relegation last year.

I'll wager we have a wider margin of safety this year.

We were never in the bottom three at this stage of the season, though, or as close to it if i remember correctly. 5 points from relegation last year is also a bit of a red herring as we were safe very early on and only then hit an awful run of form which saw us plunge down the table. I know personally this is the most concerned i've been about us actually going down in recent times, not that that is the core of the argument.

We were in the bottom three several times under Shepherd.....and were only 5 points from relegation last year.

We were never in the bottom three at this stage of the season, though, or as close to it if i remember correctly. 5 points from relegation last year is also a bit of a red herring as we were safe very early on and only then hit an awful run of form which saw us plunge down the table. I know personally this is the most concerned i've been about us actually going down in recent times, not that that is the core of the argument.

Aye, we only won one of our last 11 games last year.

But your season is 38 games innit.  I reckon we've had our nighmare run over the last 12 or so games.

i'm suprised how positive people are. never mind being dragged into it, we're already in it!

we have to get at least a point at birmingham, for confidence as much as anything. it is all well and good saying we have 3 games ay home to get our wins, but if we do crap elsewhere then we'll need to win all three of the home games (reading, fulham, mackems iirc). we're setting ourselves up for a fall if we do that. we couldn't beat bolton and boro at home and havent won once since mid-december so i am suprised people think those 3 games will be cakewalks guaranteeing us 9 points. and as alex said, they'll be high pressure and our players haven't shown a lot of guts or nerve recently.

people may say other sides have tough run-ins but we can't rely on other teams to be shit, everyone on here thought Reading were finished and were counting on them finishing below us. now they seem to have hit a bit of form. our goal difference being so bad means that even though we are level with a bunch of other sides, in reality they are ahead of us and we have to do that bit extra. i don't even think the other threatened side's run-ins are that bad tbh. i think bolton and wigan are the two we have to overhaul and i think we'll need another 9 points to do it, maybe even 10.

We've played more teams from the top half than any other club down there and still aren't in the shit.

Keegan's team haven't lost to a team outside the top 7....and deserved to win both of those games.

Keegans run of 8 games so far have been the toughest all season.  Our opening 3 or 4 months of fixtures should have had us firmly rooted in the top half, so this run wouldn't have presented any danger.

some good points.

though we are good enough to win the games we need to be safe, it just takes one freak mistake for things to go haywire and then us needing to go somewhere like everton or portsmouth and get a result. mix that with abysmal form for 4 months and it doesn't bode well. we need to start picking up points here and there (birmingham would be a good start) to make sure that we don't leave everything riding on the three 'winnable' home games.

But your season is 38 games innit.  I reckon we've had our nighmare run over the last 12 or so games.

Hopefully.

The reason i've grown more pessimistic of late is Reading's form. It means our home games against them, Fulham and Sunderland have really become must win and at the moment i don't have any faith in this sorry group of players to perform under that kind of pressure.

i'd like to see us stay up and then make a serious comeback and finish much higher in the league next season. would accept top 10 for next season tbh.

but realistically I think we're going down

have you honestly seen enough in keegans games to suggest we can get the points you're talking about?  personally i've not, particularly away from home where we're the easiest of easy touches

reading are turning the corner and i think will take at least a point from us, that leaves fulham and the mackems for me where we can realistically expect points at home...not wanting to be overly pessimistic but i can't see where any away points will come from, anyone we play will smell blood and go for the kill

your optimism now mirrors the same around january when it was considered impossible we could even get to this point by many people, i like optimism but baseless optimism is no good to anyone

Guest Phil K

Hopefully.

The reason i've grown more pessimistic of late is Reading's form. It means our home games against them, Fulham and Sunderland have really become must win and at the moment i don't have any faith in this sorry group of players to perform under that kind of pressure.

Therein lies the problem, doesn't it ?

The current crop of deadbeats clearly have no heart or care to put the effort into the job.

(and when I say effort I don't mean Smith-esque running around in circles giving the ball away and hitting the corner-flag)

Yet they are amongst the highest paid players in the country.

My own belief is that the problem is midfield even more than defence.

And the defence is APPALLING.

When the opposition can drift past midfield, and encounter a gap-ridden defence, it must be like a training game against the juniors for the opposition, playing against us.

And then, worst of all, is the heads going down and the hiding when the first goal goes in.

THAT is unforgiveable, and the worst I've known since...well...the last relegation in the 80s

have you honestly seen enough in keegans games to suggest we can get the points you're talking about?  personally i've not, particularly away from home where we're the easiest of easy touches

reading are turning the corner and i think will take at least a point from us, that leaves fulham and the mackems for me where we can realistically expect points at home...not wanting to be overly pessimistic but i can't see where any away points will come from, anyone we play will smell blood and go for the kill

your optimism now mirrors the same around january when it was considered impossible we could even get to this point by many people, i like optimism but baseless optimism is no good to anyone

My dear old mother always said to me that worrying about a problem has never solved it.  And she was right. 

The amount of people on here going on as if we're already down is an absoloute disgrace.  It compares only with the number of people saying the players have given up the ghost.  If you ask me, fans get the players they deserve.

Positive mental attitude man.

The players are bound to fall apart with a crowd so nervous they're biting their nails rather than being the 12th man.

Galvanise the players with unwavering support, rather than undermining them with constant criticism and boo's after we get beat off Man U-fucking-nited.

Hopefully.

The current crop of deadbeats clearly have no heart or care to put the effort into the job.

You talking about the fans on here, or the players?

Guest Phil K

The amount of people on here going on as if we're already down is an absoloute disgrace.  It compares only with the number of people saying the players have given up the ghost.  If you ask me, fans get the players they deserve.

What utter bull.

Man U fans deserve what THEY get do they ?

Keane didnt think so.

The players get the sort of backing THEY deserve not the other way round.

My dear old mother always said to me that worrying about a problem has never solved it.  And she was right. 

The players are bound to fall apart with a crowd so nervous they're biting their nails rather than being the 12th man.

Galvanise the players with unwavering support, rather than undermining them with constant criticism and boo's after we get beat off Man U-f******-nited.

calm down there big fella, merely asked you a question you never answered

agree about the booing etc... at the games, disgraceful, but discussion forums are something different entirely - if everyone just said "howay the lads" there'd be no point

and i think we'll stay up, just not under our own steam

Galvanise the players with unwavering support, rather than undermining them with constant criticism and boo's after we get beat off Man U-fucking-nited.

:lol: you could just as easily say the opposite mindset is being complacent or blase about the situation, which isn't much better!

Galvanise the players with unwavering support, rather than undermining them with constant criticism and boo's after we get beat off Man U-f******-nited.

agree about the booing etc... at the games, disgraceful, but discussion forums are something different entirely - if everyone just said "howay the lads" there'd be no point

Not directed at you mate, just picked a post to let my steam off in.

I hate negativity.  Despise it.  I'm very negative on negativity.

In answer to your question, I think the games against Bolton, Boro and and Blackburn showed we have got the players to match other teams that are goinfg to survive...and even chase Europe.

It's unfair to ask if Keegan's team have shown that away from home when his only away games have been Arsenal, Liverpool and Villa (who we more than matched for 50 minutes to be fair).

:lol: you could just as easily say the opposite mindset is being complacent or blase about the situation, which isn't much better!

Not really.

The bookies still seem to think we'll be staying up.

I'll get all Chicken Little if we start losing to teams in danger of relegation.

Not directed at you mate, just picked a post to let my steam off in.

I hate negativity.  Despise it.  I'm very negative on negativity.

In answer to your question, I think the games against Bolton, Boro and and Blackburn showed we have got the players to match other teams that are goinfg to survive...and even chase Europe.

It's unfair to ask if Keegan's team have shown that away from home when his only away games have been Arsenal, Liverpool and Villa (who we more than matched for 50 minutes to be fair).

fair comment about the away games and where they were played, i just worry that kk hasn't altered his approach to something that's clearly not working

the ease with which we're being cup open is terrifying, i fully expected him to do something tactically to try and arrest that at liverpool but if he did i didn't see it

the smell blood thing is my biggest fear now - a team like brum will look at us coming and fancy it much more than they'd fancy playing anyone else at the moment

Tbf, this is the place for negativity rather than at the match.

bingo

never quite understood the type of fan to pay good money for the match then sit and be a miserable get all the way through it?  do it before and after but during?!  mental...how many old farts/tosspots have we all sat behind who just sit and moan waiting for something to complain about?

diabolical

Beyond caring for this season anyway. We'll get through this season, we won't get relegated, this season was always going to be a give-away, it's truly a transitional season, it counts from next season.

I agree with most of this. If we were in form, i wouldn't be worried but we simply dont look like winning.

We're not in the bottom 3 at this stage of this season either.

At this stage of our last 10 seasons we've been, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 10th, 11th x 3, 12th x 2 and 16th, in order of highest to lowest.