NE5 versus Mick, Baggio, fredbob, TRon, etc.

bodson

I once asked NE5, seeing as he didn't agree that Freddie was a thick fat so and so, what was Freddie's intelligent reasoning for wanting to hire Souness? Blackburn being 2nd bottom of the league at the time, and Souness being on the brink of the sack. I never got a reply to that one strangely enough.

howay man, even i can tell you the answer to that

robson had (allegedly/truly) lost the players, dyer refusing to play etc...etc... and souness was seen as a disciplinarian with a decent record (to shepherd, this is all from his perspective)

blackburn being bottom 3 could be seen as a blip in his time there to an outsider like shepherd as he'd got them promoted and won a cup, back into europe and so on

surely you can see that?  time changes perceptions but i clearly remember the feeling during that period that the players needed "sorting out"

there are your reasons, some sound some not so sound in my opinion...it's more a testament to the short-termism of shepherd that he did what he did

shepherd is obviously not an idiot is he?  the only multi-millionaire idoits are lottery winners...he just wasn't suited to running a football club - he was obsessed with winning a trophy (presumably to be the local hero) and i don't think you can underestimate the fact souness had previously won a trophy at EVERY other club he'd been to in the mans thinking

the fact the blackburn fans were dancing about when we took souness tells it's own story but if ANYONE can tell me or show me that when we signed him they could have predicted just how badly he managed things then i'd be very, very surprised...i basically thought we'd end up mid table but sort out the little turds at the club like dyer, and maybe sneak a cup along the way

you asked for freddies intelligent reasoning, not mine i might add

Well, I hate Souness, and he would never have been my choice in a million years, but I have to say that post has some merit. A lot  of what you say mate was the feeling at the time, nobody who was at the Wolves game where the team were booed for finishing 5th could disagree, especially when you consider only 12 months later Souness' players were cheered for finishing 14th.

Its just a shame that others can't put their personal feelings about Shepherd aside and take a more logical look at exactly how much better a club he and the Halls left in comparison to the club they found.

Won't hold my breath here, not that I'm particularly arsed if people can't take their head out of their arse.

I was merely laughing at your hilarious outburst; I know better than to waste my time arguing with someone who refuses to take the opinions of others on board in any way, shape or form.

I await you making something up about what I think. Possibly that I'm loving this relegation scrap or something.

So you aren't going to attempt to disagree with my facts or show that I;m wrong then ?

Thought not.

I was merely laughing at your hilarious outburst; I know better than to waste my time arguing with someone who refuses to take the opinions of others on board in any way, shape or form.

I await you making something up about what I think. Possibly that I'm loving this relegation scrap or something.

change your quotes Dave.

Still no reply I see.

Its just a shame that others can't put their personal feelings about Shepherd aside....

mackems.gif

do you still back Souness to succeed, having sold the cancer at the club  :nope:

Can't you read?

can't you do quotes or explain yourself properly ?

Read his original post again, then read the post where he quoted his original post.

State what has changed apart from the bolding of some text.

We all knew the problems at rhe club, it was the mis timing of the sacking that pissed a lot of people off and even more so the appointment of Spuness.

Did Freddy really think that Souness had the personality to get the "trouble" making players back on side and then focus on a squad restructure.

Fcking pleb of the highest order if he did.

Guest king harry

Souness has been a nightmare manager for almost every team he managed, yes he did well at Rangers, in a time when Celtic had there worst team in living memory. He then come to my team, and took over Dalglish. At the time we were top of the league, and were reigning champions. He was awful, starting selling any players we had, and bringing in people like Julian Dicks, Sounsess saw people like this so called hard man as a player in nhis own mould.

Anyway we lost the league (weve never won it since), and played crap. The following season he had heart problems, Evans took over the team, and there was a big improvement, we got to the cup final in 92, they wheeled souness out for it, we won it.

He ended up taking us down to 8th in the league, the lowest since we got promotion under shanks in 1960. I honestly think if he had 18 more months, we would be relegated. At the time i used to go every single match, even pre season friendlies, (married now so just go 90%), and that souness team was the worst team in my memory, infact only the old timers who could remember the days of our second division team in the 1950s have seen worse.

And remember, he had redknapp who Dalglish signed, and Fowler and Mcmanaman, who come through the reserves at the right time for him, i dread to think where we would of been just on Souness signings alone.

Since us, he has managed Southampton, dont think he won a trophy there (may be wrong), then took over Galatasary, where he won the Turkish cup, it was the first time in 5 years they didnt win the league. He then went to Blackburn and onto yourselves. The rest is history

Souness - brilliant player, complete c*** of a manager.

I once asked NE5, seeing as he didn't agree that Freddie was a thick fat so and so, what was Freddie's intelligent reasoning for wanting to hire Souness? Blackburn being 2nd bottom of the league at the time, and Souness being on the brink of the sack. I never got a reply to that one strangely enough.

robson had (allegedly/truly) lost the players, dyer refusing to play etc...etc... and souness was seen as a disciplinarian with a decent record (to shepherd, this is all from his perspective)

blackburn being bottom 3 could be seen as a blip in his time there to an outsider like shepherd as he'd got them promoted and won a cup, back into europe and so on

surely you can see that?  time changes perceptions but i clearly remember the feeling during that period that the players needed "sorting out"

there are your reasons, some sound some not so sound in my opinion...it's more a testament to the short-termism of shepherd that he did what he did

shepherd is obviously not an idiot is he?  the only multi-millionaire idoits are lottery winners...he just wasn't suited to running a football club - he was obsessed with winning a trophy (presumably to be the local hero) and i don't think you can underestimate the fact souness had previously won a trophy at EVERY other club he'd been to in the mans thinking

the fact the blackburn fans were dancing about when we took souness tells it's own story but if ANYONE can tell me or show me that when we signed him they could have predicted just how badly he managed things then i'd be very, very surprised...i basically thought we'd end up mid table but sort out the little turds at the club like dyer, and maybe sneak a cup along the way

Well, I hate Souness, and he would never have been my choice in a million years, but I have to say that post has some merit.

There was no merit in it whatsoever. None. It was a shit appointment from start to finish and most sensible folk said so at the time.

Well, I hate Souness, and he would never have been my choice in a million years, but I have to say that post has some merit.

There was no merit in it whatsoever. None. It was a s*** appointment from start to finish and most sensible folk said so at the time.

that's an intentional attempt to be funny right?

Souness has been a nightmare manager for almost every team he managed, yes he did well at Rangers, in a time when Celtic had there worst team in living memory. He then come to my team, and took over Dalglish. At the time we were top of the league, and were reigning champions. He was awful, starting selling any players we had, and bringing in people like Julian Dicks, Sounsess saw people like this so called hard man as a player in nhis own mould.

Anyway we lost the league (weve never won it since), and played crap. The following season he had heart problems, Evans took over the team, and there was a big improvement, we got to the cup final in 92, they wheeled souness out for it, we won it.

He ended up taking us down to 8th in the league, the lowest since we got promotion under shanks in 1960. I honestly think if he had 18 more months, we would be relegated. At the time i used to go every single match, even pre season friendlies, (married now so just go 90%), and that souness team was the worst team in my memory, infact only the old timers who could remember the days of our second division team in the 1950s have seen worse.

And remember, he had redknapp who Dalglish signed, and Fowler and Mcmanaman, who come through the reserves at the right time for him, i dread to think where we would of been just on Souness signings alone.

Since us, he has managed Southampton, dont think he won a trophy there (may be wrong), then took over Galatasary, where he won the Turkish cup, it was the first time in 5 years they didnt win the league. He then went to Blackburn and onto yourselves. The rest is history

A very good post highlighting just what a shit appointment Souness was, from someone who is impartial and no axe to grind. Appointing this walking disaster was Shepherd's biggest blunder from which we are still reeling. What a complete and utter balls up that appointment was.

A very good post highlighting just what a s*** appointment Souness was, from someone who is impartial and no axe to grind. Appointing this walking disaster was Shepherd's biggest blunder from which we are still reeling. What a complete and utter balls up that appointment was.

sounds like he's got a massive axe to grind to me like, basically implying souness was the reason liverpool haven't won the league since the early '90's

doesn't detract from his post, however

A very good post highlighting just what a s*** appointment Souness was, from someone who is impartial and no axe to grind. Appointing this walking disaster was Shepherd's biggest blunder from which we are still reeling. What a complete and utter balls up that appointment was.

sounds like he's got a massive axe to grind to me like, basically implying souness was the reason liverpool haven't won the league since the early '90's

If you read his post he says they lost the league under Souness. At no point does he blame future failures to win the league on Souness.

Touchy! It's almost like someone insulted a friend, or member of your family. :laugh:

Solid facts, and knowledge about the club Dave.

Care to disagree or show me you know better ?

Somehow I doubt that you will attempt it.

I've got solid knowledge of the Luque situation, which I've explained a number of times. I've started to agree with you on a lot of things on this forum, especially regarding how blinkered people are to the new board. However, I really wish you'd accept that some things which have been said which put FS in a bad light (such as Souness wanting Boa Morte and Fred over-ruling it and telling him to buy Luque, who had been offered to us).

It happened, and I reported it happened a long time before Souness came out and said the same thing. Was it just co-incidence that Souness came out with exactly the same story I'd documented, or was he reading my posts on toonchat or something?

If you read his post he says they lost the league under Souness. At no point does he blame future failures to win the league on Souness.

"At the time we were top of the league, and were reigning champions. He was awful, starting selling any players we had, and bringing in people like Julian Dicks, Sounsess saw people like this so called hard man as a player in nhis own mould.

Anyway we lost the league (weve never won it since)"

you read into that part what you want, i'll do the same

It happened, and I reported it happened a long time before Souness came out and said the same thing. Was it just co-incidence that Souness came out with exactly the same story I'd documented, or was he reading my posts on toonchat or something?

Souness obviously edited your posts to match.

Souness obviously edited your posts to match.

:D

Guest king harry

"At the time we were top of the league, and were reigning champions. He was awful, starting selling any players we had, and bringing in people like Julian Dicks, Sounsess saw people like this so called hard man as a player in nhis own mould.

Anyway we lost the league (weve never won it since)"

you read into that part what you want, i'll do the same

Carnt blame him for us not winning the league this centuary. But it took us 5 years after he left, to get the club on track. Seriously when he took over Newcastle, i heard it on the radio, and said to me geordie mates in work (i live up here now) if you give him enough time, he will take you down, and if you had given him enough time he would of done.

At least you have an excuse for appointing the bastard, his failure started at Liverpool and has so far ended at Newcastle.

For anybody to defend his appointment even now is crazy.  To say he might have been appointed because his league position might have been seen as a blip is a one of the stupidest reasons I've seen so far.

We sacked a manager who had three previous league finishes of 4th, 3rd and 5th but we sacked him because he'd lost a few games.  Losing a few games early in the season had been something we'd done for at least 2 seasons yet we sacked him and appointed one of the very few below us in the league, I still can't work the logic of that one out.  The season we finished 3rd we were 2nd bottom of the league after 5 or 6 games, the season we finished 5th we were 2nd or 3rd bottom after the same number of games yet we sacked him for being 5th bottom after 4 games, that is just as pathetic as anybody defending the decision.

The sacking has been defended because Dyer refused to play for Sir Bobby, Souness was such a disciplinarian that Bellamy is supposed to have refused to play for him twice, he was such a disciplinarian that we had two of our players sent off for fighting each other, we had a player calling him a liar on national TV, a player we had to sell for a fraction of his value just to get him out of the club.

The appointment of Souness would have been laughable if it had happened at any other club.