An alternative way at looking at our players maybe...

Guest Knightrider

Kenwyne Jones

"If they are on about certain strikers being worth £20million, then Kenwyne is worth £40million, without a doubt. I wouldn't swap him for any of them." Roy Keane

Hasnt scored in 2008 & has 5 PL goals for the season.

To sum up: He had few good weeks in the early part of the season

Special Moves

Alan Smith - Forward, Forward, Hard kick.

Martin Taylor - Forward, Down/Forward, Hard Kick.

Aliadiere - Forward, Forward, Weak Punch.

Mido - Up/Forward, JUMP + Medium Kick.

Steven Taylor - Mash all buttons repeatedly.

Joey Barton - Unplug controller.

Damien Duff - Forward, Forward, Forward, Forward, Forward, Forward, Block.

Michael Owen - Forward, Forward, Forward, Forward, Forward, Forward, Weak Kick.

Sunderland - Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up....

Steven Carr - You are standing in an open Greggs, there are sandwiches to the East, and Pasties to the West...

>West

You are standing in front of a selection of pasties and sausage rolls.

>Examine Pastie

It appears to be a Steak Bake

>Get Pastie

>Eat Pastie

Guest Goalfather

Kenwyne Jones

"If they are on about certain strikers being worth £20million, then Kenwyne is worth £40million, without a doubt. I wouldn't swap him for any of them." Roy Keane

Hasnt scored in 2008 & has 5 PL goals for the season.

To sum up: He had few good weeks in the early part of the season

;D ;D 40 million was always a laugh. But he is a fine player playing for a very shit team.The guy has to leap like a salmon or chase aimless misdirected long balls every match. He is an uber athlete and has a fair amount of skill.

Some people are showing incredible ignorance and lack of footballing knowledge here.

Four Corners is what the academies use to rate their players, and these assessments are made periodically in order to measure development.

Some people are showing incredible ignorance and lack of footballing knowledge here.

Four Corners is what the academies use to rate their players, and these assessments are made periodically in order to measure development.

Them Academies being the bastard creation of Howard Wilkinson.

Don't you think the value of the approach is dependent on the quality and knowledge of the person using it, or is it valuable all by itself?

Them Academies being the bastard creation of Howard Wilkinson.

Imported from Europe actually.

Don't you think the value of the approach is dependent on the quality and knowledge of the person using it, or is it valuable all by itself?

Obviously only good in the hands of the proffessionals in terms of proper analysis, I think the initial purpose of the thread was to demonstrate how the proffessionals may judge the quality of their playing staff.

I'd imagine the four corners takes the format of a work appraisal, i.e. scores out of 5 plus comments, and the comments section is probably more important than the score in terms of analysis.

Wouldn't do much good to see us all on here analyse these players in such a manner, as the average analytical footballing knowledge on here is probably 1% that of the proffessionals.

Them Academies being the b****** creation of Howard Wilkinson.

Some rules & regulations may be the same as those used in other countries, but the concept, CREATION & roll out in England was overseen & implemented by Howard Wilkinson.

Guest Knightrider

Interesting post even though I disagree with much of it

How would u assess the following non NUFC players

Ronaldo

Rooney

Adebayor

Kenwyne Jones

The first two are elite players with Ronaldo ticking all boxes hence why he is arguably the best player on the planet in an individual he has it all sense. Rooney is very close but mental control and believe it or not an unselfish streak are what hold him back from joining Ronaldo. Adebayor is more dependent on the environment around him to succeed rather than his own ability where as Jones is an average player full stop.

Some rules & regulations may be the same as those used in other countries, but the concept, CREATION & roll out in England was overseen & implemented by Howard Wilkinson.

Gerard Houllier imported the player appraisal system.

Guest Knightrider

He adopted not invented. The 4 corners scale is a foreign concept, Dutch I believe.

He adopted not invented. The 4 corners scale is a foreign concept, Dutch I believe.

Which other countries have "must live within 90 minutes of the academy and train for a minimum of five hours per week" rules?

Gerard Houllier imported the player appraisal system.

Somewhere along the line your not digesting "the concept, CREATION & roll out in England was overseen & implemented by Howard Wilkinson"

Guest Knightrider

It is and that's why good coaches, scouts, and development policies are essential. The 4 corners of development scale is just a tool to aide coaches, scouts and to determine development policies. This scale in the wrong hands is pretty much wasted. But then so is talent and indeed whole football clubs.

Anyway I posted it up as a means for myself and others if they wanted to, to try an alternative way to assess our players and maybe even potential new signings and to also raise the level of debate on here in these areas that usually ends up "he's shit, end of" or "he's great, end of".

Using the scale properly with all the associated support material (which I don't have sadly) I think a reasonable level of certainty can be gained from it where assessment of players are concerned and with it, what the team may require other than the forum standard "lets sign (insert player) here, he's good" type analysis. For example if there is a clear pattern showing that the players grouped together are weak psychologically, or technically, this may show fans where the management need to work on or what type of player needs brought in because it's about 'type' and not 'who' you know which is a mistake many past managers of ours have made. Owen for example was a who and not a type. In short we should never have signed him as he wasn't the right type of player for that team nor the manager who bought him. I mean there is a thread about Defoe where people are saying we should have bought him, yet for all we know, Defoe here may not work or be any better than Martins. The 4 corners scale could actually identify whether Defoe would work here or not.

I guess I'm saying look further than the front of your nose and think about the game, our players and our club and maybe then we'd be in a better position to understand it and the many facets that make it up rather than what we've all become today, ignorant, myopic, fickle bastards who wouldn't know their arse from their elbow. Or not.

Guest Knightrider

Which other countries have "must live within 90 minutes of the academy and train for a minimum of five hours per week" rules?

I don't know and don't really care to be honest. Either way Howard Wilkinson and 'his' academies have fuck all to do with the 4 corners of development scale which is an independent research led aid designed to be used as a template. How it's used and by whom is the problem, not the scale or others like it.

It is and that's why good coaches, scouts, and development policies are essential. The 4 corners of development scale is just a tool to aide coaches, scouts and to determine development policies. This scale in the wrong hands is pretty much wasted. But then so is talent and indeed whole football clubs.

Anyway I posted it up as a means for myself and others if they wanted to, to try an alternative way to assess our players and maybe even potential new signings and to also raise the level of debate on here in these areas that usually ends up "he's s***, end of" or "he's great, end of".

Using the scale properly with all the associated support material (which I don't have sadly) I think a reasonable level of certainty can be gained from it where assessment of players are concerned and with it, what the team may require other than the forum standard "lets sign (insert player) here, he's good" type analysis. For example if there is a clear pattern showing that the players grouped together are weak psychologically, or technically, this may show fans where the management need to work on or what type of player needs brought in because it's about 'type' and not 'who' you know which is a mistake many past managers of ours have made. Owen for example was a who and not a type. In short we should never have signed him as he wasn't the right type of player for that team nor the manager who bought him. I mean there is a thread about Defoe where people are saying we should have bought him, yet for all we know, Defoe here may not work or be any better than Martins. The 4 corners scale could actually identify whether Defoe would work here or not.

I guess I'm saying look further than the front of your nose and think about the game, our players and our club and maybe then we'd be in a better position to understand it and the many facets that make it up rather than what we've all become today, ignorant, myopic, fickle bastards who wouldn't know their arse from their elbow. Or not.

Fair enough.