Sunday Gossip

Thespence

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson wants to sign striker Michael Owen, who has 18 months left on his Newcastle contract. (News of the World)

The former England manager is also keen on emerging Brazilian striker Diego, 23, who has been impressing at German side Werder Bremen, as he tries to build a City side capable of pushing for the Champions League next season. (News of the World)

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp is keen to sign German defender Per Mertesacker from Werder Bremen - the 23-year-old has already played 40 games for his country. (News of the World)

Harry Kewell will sign for Celtic at the end of the season after being told by Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez he can go. (The People)

Harry Redknapp is interested in QPR's Hungarian midfielder Akos Buzasky who will cost around £2.5m. (News of the World)

Meanwhile QPR's billionaire owners, Formula One bosses Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone and steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal are in talks with former Real Madrid and Portugal midfielder Luis Figo, whose contract with Inter Milan finishes at the end of this season. (Mail on Sunday)

Tottenham are poised to move for Spanish side Villarreal's 26-year-old goalkeeper Diego Lopez, who is valued at £8m. (News of the World)

Meanwhile, Villarreal's £7m-rated defensive midfielder Marcus Senna is being chased by Middlesbrough and Aston Villa. (News of the World)

The £40m price tag that Sevilla have put on their Brazilian striker Luis Fabiano will not put off Manchester United. (News of the World)

Sunderland striker Dwight Yorke is contemplating a return to Australia to play for Central Coast Mariners. (News of the World)

Italian giants Juventus intend to make a move in the summer for Manchester United's 21-year-old defender Gerard Pique. (News of the World)

Middlesbrough midfield duo George Boateng and Fabio Rochemback want to leave the Riverside at the end of the season. Celtic are keeping an eye on the situation surrounding Boateng, 32, while Rochemback, 26 wants to return to Sporting Lisbon. (News of the World)

Chelsea captain John Terry and Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand are in the running to be the next permanent England captain. (News of the World)

Former Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has told the club's owner Mike Ashley not to sack current boss Kevin Keegan despite not winning any of his first eight games in charge. (Various)

Meanwhile, Keegan's Newcastle United future has been plunged into fresh doubt as top Spanish coach Marcelo Garcia Toral was linked with the job (The People)

Manchester United defender Gary Neville may return to first-team action in time for their Champions League quarter-final tie with Roma. (Sunday Express)

Charlton have said they would welcome former manager Alan Curbishley back to The Valley if he is sacked as West Ham boss. (News of the World)

Bolton manager Gary Megson has told goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen that his contract talks are being put on hold until the Trotters' Premier League fate is decided. (News of the World)

Former Manchester United, Lazio, AC Milan and Ajax defender Jaap Stam, has joined  'pub' side Newcastle United VV Hoonhorst - the 35-year-old retired from professional football in October. (News of the World)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

What was the figure that little Mickey could be sold for this summer? Something like 9m was floated last year - would everyone be happy with 9m for Owen? The only question is replacement - if Bent cost 18m, what would 9m buy?

What was the figure that little Mickey could be sold for this summer? Something like 9m was floated last year - would everyone be happy with 9m for Owen? The only question is replacement - if Bent cost 18m, what would 9m buy?

If the club were offered £9m for Owen I'm sure they'd rip their arm off they'd take it so fast. If we sold Owen for £9m it wouldn't mean his replacement would have to cost £9m maximum. Mike Ashley is loaded! Having said that, we'd possibly use the scouting network to identify up and coming strikers in Europe rather than blow fortunes on already established 'super stars'.

I think it goes down to about 6m this year.

If the club were offered £9m for Owen I'm sure they'd rip their arm off they'd take it so fast. If we sold Owen for £9m it wouldn't mean his replacement would have to cost £9m maximum. Mike Ashley is loaded! Having said that, we'd possibly use the scouting network to identify up and coming strikers in Europe rather than blow fortunes on already established 'super stars'.

Without wanting to sound like a well known poster - the evidence thus far indicates that transfers are to be self-financing. Ashley has given no indication he intends to spend bucket-loads of cash...

Or maybe the current predicament has me so down that I'm simply worst-casing everything...

Without wanting to sound like a well known poster - the evidence thus far indicates that transfers are to be self-financing. Ashley has given no indication he intends to spend bucket-loads of cash...

Or maybe the current predicament has me so down that I'm simply worst-casing everything...

It would  make good business sense to come out and say we've got loads of cash to throw at people, just so everyone knows ;)

The evidence thus far indicates that Ashley didn't want to release funds to a manager he didn't believe in, and he has indicated that Keegan will get significant money to spend in the summer. There is no other evidence.

in the scottish News of the world it says

Kevin Keegan has added Rangers stopper Carlos Cuellar to his scottish shopping list.

The Newcastle boss has a £24m war chest for the audacious triple raid which is already headed by Aiden McGeady. Keegan has Personally checked out the irish wing wizard who has already won 17 caps and is valued at £11m. Keegan seemed ready to bid in january until the club decided to put a block on transfers until the summer. He is on record as admiting he is looking north of the border to solve his problems. In addition to McGeady Keegan has also been Impressed by Scott McDonald.

If we stay up there is no way transfers could be self financing. How could we improve the team without spending more on it? Sell Owen for £9M then buy a replacement for a maximum of £9M even though we bought Owen for £17m? Mike Ashley told Keegan that money would be made available in the Summer (assuming we are still in the Premiership).

Owen can buy his contract out in the summer.

True, and he probably will, so it's not in our hands..

Why would he stump a shed load of his own money up when a club who wants can buy him £6 million.

He would be foolish to do such thing.

QPR move for Newcastle fullback Carr

March 16, 2008

QPR are ready to move for off contract Newcastle United fullback Stephen Carr.

The News of the World says Republic of Ireland defender Carr played 226 league games for Spurs before making a £2million move to the Toon in 2004.

But he is ready to move back to London and is thrilled at the prospect of joining Rangers, who are co-owned by Formula One billionaires Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briartore.

-----

We would be thrilled too

Owen can buy his contract out in the summer.

True, and he probably will, so it's not in our hands..

Why would he stump a shed load of his own money up when a club who wants can buy him £6 million.

He would be foolish to do such thing.

Or he could return to Liverpool or another big club who might be interested in a free? He could get the buyout money back through a signing on fee. He doesn't look happy or inspired with us, I can see how his decision will be based on things other than money.

March 16, 2008

The News of the World says Republic of Ireland defender Carr played 226 league games for Spurs before making a £2million move to the Toon in 2004.

But he is ready to move back to London and is thrilled at the prospect of joining Rangers, who are co-owned by Formula One billionaires Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briartore.

-----

We would be thrilled too

if we went down would people see him as a good player to have in our side in the championship?

March 16, 2008

-----

We would be thrilled too

if we went down would people see him as a good player to have in our side in the championship?

No

The evidence thus far indicates that Ashley didn't want to release funds to a manager he didn't believe in, and he has indicated that Keegan will get significant money to spend in the summer. There is no other evidence.

Fair call - "significant money" is a relative term though. Significant compared to Ashley's personal fortune? Or relative to the club's bottom line?

I dunno - I see all these responses assuming an enormous transfer kitty for Keegan but I'm wondering where all the positivity comes from? Look at the gossip gdm shared - Scotty Mac for Christ's sake? We've already got Shola and Carroll - another fat Aussie (disclaimer - I too am a fat Aussie!) will not catapult us into the Euro places. If we sell little Mickey then we need to trade up, not down... And even if 24m is a number made up by the press, does anyone think 24m will buy the six-eight international class players we need to compete for Europe, or even the cups?

Maybe I've read too many posts by NE5 - but maybe he makes a good point when he suggests we are blinded by love for Big Mike?

i dont think we will spend huge, Ashley was at liverpool last week and said next season we were going to aim for the top 8 which to me would take 20-30million ontop of funds from sold players..

Fair call - "significant money" is a relative term though. Significant compared to Ashley's personal fortune? Or relative to the club's bottom line?

I dunno - I see all these responses assuming an enormous transfer kitty for Keegan but I'm wondering where all the positivity comes from? Look at the gossip gdm shared - Scotty Mac for Christ's sake? We've already got Shola and Carroll - another fat Aussie (disclaimer - I too am a fat Aussie!) will not catapult us into the Euro places. If we sell little Mickey then we need to trade up, not down... And even if 24m is a number made up by the press, does anyone think 24m will buy the six-eight international class players we need to compete for Europe, or even the cups?

Maybe I've read too many posts by NE5 - but maybe he makes a good point when he suggests we are blinded by love for Big Mike?

Nobody really knows anything so anyone can believe what they like. At the moment I prefer to support our Chairman and manager's stance which would appear to be very ambitious. If anyone else prefers to be suspicious or negative good luck to them.

Or he could return to Liverpool or another big club who might be interested in a free? He could get the buyout money back through a signing on fee.

Him buying out his contract is approx the same amount as what a club would have to pay for him though. If his wage were 20K a week it would be worthwhile but his wages are so high it makes buying out not really an option when the release clause in his contract for about £6 million.

Or he could return to Liverpool or another big club who might be interested in a free? He could get the buyout money back through a signing on fee.

Him buying out his contract is approx the same amount as what a club would have to pay for him though. If his wage were 20K a week it would be worthwhile but his wages are so high it makes buying out not really an option when the release clause in his contract for about £6 million.

Who knows? What if a club comes knocking and say to him they will have him for free if he pays out his contract with us? Or they pay the sum in the clause if he will wave his signing on fee and possibly accept lower wages than he's on with us.. If it's one of the big 4, I believe he would jump at the chance..