Sunday Gossip

Thespence

Or he could return to Liverpool or another big club who might be interested in a free? He could get the buyout money back through a signing on fee.

Him buying out his contract is approx the same amount as what a club would have to pay for him though. If his wage were 20K a week it would be worthwhile but his wages are so high it makes buying out not really an option when the release clause in his contract for about £6 million.

Who knows? What if a club comes knocking and say to him they will have him for free if he pays out his contract with us? Or they pay the sum in the clause if he will wave his signing on fee and possibly accept lower wages than he's on with us.. If it's one of the big 4, I believe he would jump at the chance..

I doubt it. He isn't going to spend £6m, miss out on a signing on fee and accept a lower wage.

i dont think we will spend huge, Ashley was at liverpool last week and said next season we were going to aim for the top 8 which to me would take 20-30million ontop of funds from sold players..

and the rest.

we need to spend around £50m+ to get up there imo

however, city have done it after spending about £40m, and they were similar to us last year, but they had a solid base to build on, as well as youth coming through etc, so we are behind them imo (it also remains to be seen whether they finish top 8).

one things for sure, £20/£30m wont be enough to turn us around

i dont think we will spend huge, Ashley was at liverpool last week and said next season we were going to aim for the top 8 which to me would take 20-30million ontop of funds from sold players..

and the rest.

however, city have done it after spending about £40m, and they were similar to us last year, but they had a solid base to build on, as well as youth coming through etc, so we are behind them imo (it also remains to be seen whether they finish top 8).

You're asking a bit much if you think the club can be turned around in one season anyway IMO.

and the rest.

You're asking a bit much if you think the club can be turned around in one season anyway IMO.

i think top 10/top 8 would be a turn around at the moment, and that's do-able in one season, look at west ham and city

and the rest.

i think top 10/top 8 would be a turn around at the moment, and that's do-able in one season, look at west ham and city

Top 10 is a realistic target but we wouldn't need to spend £50 million + to get there.

Guest Knightrider

and the rest.

Top 10 is a realistic target but we wouldn't need to spend £50 million + to get there.

Like City?

and the rest.

Like City?

Only Elano, Corluka and Petrov have made a big impact on the first team, which cost around £17 million.

Similar to when we went out and spent a little less on Robert and Bellamy, Keegan needs to go about getting the balance of the team right again and he can do that with 2 or 3 signings.

and the rest.

Like City?

Aye the Premiership is a harder league than it once was.

You've got the bottom 8/9 battling for relegation and the top 4/5 then the rest are pretty good teams. From Everton down to West Ham all those teams are pretty good and we are more shit than alto of us realise.

City had a good defensive base.... we have nothing.

and the rest.

Like City?

Only Elano, Corluka and Petrov have made a big impact on the first team, which cost around £17 million.

Similar to when we went out and spent a little less on Robert and Bellamy, Keegan needs to go about getting the balance of the team right again and he can do that with 2 or 3 signings.

No he can't. City had Richards, Onuoha, Dunne and even Hamann. We had Shearer, Lee, Speed, Solano and Given.

We lack a strong spine. Poorish defenders, poor midfielders and a misfiring strike force.

and the rest.

This has always been our problem.  We need a long term plan...

and the rest.

This has always been our problem.  We need a long term plan...

A whole season would almost be classed as a long term plan for us at the minute

and the rest.

Like City?

No he can't. City had Richards, Onuoha, Dunne and even Hamann. We had Shearer, Lee, Speed, Solano and Given.

We lack a strong spine. Poorish defenders, poor midfielders and a misfiring strike force.

Onuoha's average and the majority of City fans wanted rid of Hamann last season, you bring a better player in like Elano and it's brought the best out of the likes of Hamann and Ireland, 2 players that nobody had the time of day for last season.

I think it's ignorance to think all of our players are shite because of where we are in the league, the truth being we've got some good players who are not being used properly because the team has no pace throughout the side and little passing ability throughout the midfield.

As for poor defenders, look at the back four when we qualified for the Champions League if you want to see poor defenders.

and the rest.

Like City?

Onuoha's average and the majority of City fans wanted rid of Hamann last season, you bring a better player in like Elano and it's brought the best out of the likes of Hamann and Ireland, 2 players that nobody had the time of day for last season.

I think it's ignorance to think all of our players are s**** because of where we are in the league, the truth being we've got some good players who are not being used properly because the team has no pace throughout the side and little passing ability throughout the midfield.

As for poor defenders, look at the back four when we qualified for the Champions League if you want to see poor defenders.

Howay man that was 5 or so years ago. Onuoha is as solid as Beye. Owen isn't as good as Shearer was, Charles is no better than Dyer and Speed is better than all those who play CM currently.

Honestly the basic spine of our current team isn't near the quality of the CL qualifying side our even Man City. City had a good defence to build on. We don't have a Richards or Dunne.

None of the midfield is good enough, our best midfielder currently isn't even particularly "proven". We need atleast 3 midfielders. For various reasons we need atleast 1 more striker and we need a top class centre half at the very least.

That's atleast 5 first team players.

I think it's foolish to think we have a decent team. Nearly all of our first team players should be in their prime but most of them have long since peaked.

and the rest.

Like City?

I think it's ignorance to think all of our players are s**** because of where we are in the league, the truth being we've got some good players who are not being used properly because the team has no pace throughout the side and little passing ability throughout the midfield.

Howay man that was 5 or so years ago. Onuoha is as solid as Beye. Owen isn't as good as Shearer was, Charles is no better than Dyer and Speed is better than all those who play CM currently.

Honestly the basic spine of our current team isn't near the quality of the CL qualifying side our even Man City. City had a good defence to build on. We don't have a Richards or Dunne.

None of the midfield is good enough, our best midfielder currently isn't even particularly "proven". We need atleast 3 midfielders. For various reasons we need atleast 1 more striker and we need a top class centre half at the very least.

I think it's foolish to think we have a decent team. Nearly all of our first team players should be in their prime but most of them have long since peaked.

I'm not saying they are good enough to get us in the Champions League, my point is we don't need to spend £50 million on getting into the top 10. :lol:

None of the midfield are good enough for the top 10? Quite frankly that is bollocks, Who would have thought Ireland and Hamann were good enough for the top 10 after last season? Barton was a far better player than either of them at City yet now all of a sudden he's not good enough for a top 10 team but they are?

We don't need any new defenders to get into the top 10, we've got a better group of defenders now than we've had for the majority of our time in the Premiership, what we do need is to introduce pace into the team and find a midfield partnership that we can rely on.

and the rest.

Like City?

I'm not saying they are good enough to get us in the Champions League, my point is we don't need to spend £50 million on getting into the top 10. :lol:

None of the midfield are good enough for the top 10? Quite frankly that is bollocks, Who would have thought Ireland and Hamann were good enough for the top 10 after last season? Barton was a far better player than either of them at City yet now all of a sudden he's not good enough for a top 10 team but they are?

We don't need any new defenders to get into the top 10, we've got a better group of defenders now than we've had for the majority of our time in the Premiership, what we do need is to introduce pace into the team and find a midfield partnership that we can rely on.

Aye £50M is a bit much but we'll need lots of money no doubt.

Hamann has always been capable of playing his role to a good standard. He'll sweep up and pass it to another team mate. Our central midfield cannot do the basics right. City often play Corluka in midfield, along with Petrov, Elano, Hamann & Ireland (or whoever). That's 3 new signings in the midfield to go along with their already strong defence something we don't have.

You can't say we have better defenders now because of the performances they've put in. You THINK we do but they've looked a mess many-a-time.

I think you have under estimated the strength of the Premiership. Next year 11 teams realistically expect to challenge for a European/CL spot and ALL of them have heavy financial support (bar Blackburn).

Out of the current lot who is good enough for the top 10?

Our best players are no better than that of those of West Ham, Blackburn or Man City (the weakest sides i the top 11).

and the rest.

Like City?

Aye £50M is a bit much but we'll need lots of money no doubt.

Hamann has always been capable of playing his role to a good standard. He'll sweep up and pass it to another team mate. Our central midfield cannot do the basics right. City often play Corluka in midfield, along with Petrov, Elano, Hamann & Ireland (or whoever). That's 3 new signings in the midfield to go along with their already strong defence something we don't have.

You can't say we have better defenders now because of the performances they've put in. You THINK we do but they've looked a mess many-a-time.

I think you have under estimated the strength of the Premiership. Next year 11 teams realistically expect to challenge for a European/CL spot and ALL of them have heavy financial support (bar Blackburn).

Out of the current lot who is good enough for the top 10?

Our best players are no better than that of those of West Ham, Blackburn or Man City (the weakest sides i the top 11).

I'm not saying we don't need to spend a fair bit but I'd be aiming for higher than a top 10 finish if we did.

I don't think our defenders are all that bad, they're quite a bit better than what we had last year yet we didn't concede anywhere near as many and I put that down to how the team was set up, under Roeder the fullbacks got plenty of support from the wingers and the midfield gave the centre backs plenty of help, everyone done a good job of working for each other, at the moment we seem to be all over the place and the back four don't seem to be getting any support at all, that's something we should be looking to work on rather than taking the view that we should just go out and replace the lot which is just unrealistic (not saying you've said it but a few on here have shown that attitude)

As for who's good enough for the top 10...I think most of them are but not necisarrily in the same team if that makes sense, what we really need to do is work out what we're missing and sort that out, personally I'd look to bring in a quick winger to replace Milner, and a pair of centre mids that can sit in and protect the back four as well as being technically good with the ball at their feet, which will not only help with ball retention but knock on the head the need to keep playing long balls out all of the time.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want better and if the money was there I'd get in a new keeper, 2 new fullbacks, 2 wide men, 2 centre mids and a striker, but I'd expect more than a top 10 finish if we did spend big money on that many players.

Just been reading the Sports page of the Sunday Mail at a mates house. Why do they hate us so much ? Or has KK had a falling out with them at some time. They have a 2 page rant about us including having a pop at Wise for going to see the Lion King whilst we were losing 3-0 to Liverpool ????

Just been reading the Sports page of the Sunday Mail at a mates house. Why do they hate us so much ? Or has KK had a falling out with them at some time. They have a 2 page rant about us including having a pop at Wise for going to see the Lion King whilst we were losing 3-0 to Liverpool ????

Where was it showing?

Where was it showing?

And is it on around 8pm tomorrow night?

I think the mail was also the paper who created the story that if KK doesn't win our next two games he'll get sacked. Just seems very funny that they are suddenly throwing loads of shit at us as if someone at the club has said something/refused to do something for them.

I'd be thrilled if someone could take Owen off our hands this summer.

A huge failure in the grand scheme of things, and a huge waste of time and money, given his wages/initial fee/reputation.

So long. £6m+ and i'd take it. Saying that, i think we could even fetch closer to £10m, simply because it's Michael Owen. Selling to a team (who will hopefully) be a direct rival in the future isn't great... but i'd rather we sold him than Oba.