Oba...Obafem

TRon

The "saved us from relegation" is very overstated imho. Fair enough, he was the only real striker in the side then due to circumstances, but I am pretty sure any other striker would have "saved" us as well by getting a necessary amount of goals. Apart from the Tottenham and maybe the Blackburn away game it wasn't so much his individual performances efforts that "saved" us.

Like who? Sibi? The point is that he was the one who got those goals, not anyone else but him. You cannot under any circumstance take that away from him and they were the goals that took us away from the relegation spots. Also this season he has been instrumental in our recent run, helping us save us from releagation as well. Not the only player but defintely one who stands out for me anyway. As for your second point, no one is saying he dragged the team single handedly but he scored some excellent goals for us, AZ Alkmaar, Levia Waregam(?), Blackburn, Spurs, they were games people rememeber.  

I do also think that his commitment to the club is very much overstated. It's nice to hear those things he says, but who would expect him to slate the club. Other players say the same, it's just some kind of professional PR. He'd say the same about any other club as well iyam.

Fair point, but he's always reiterated his desire to stay here, he could of kept quiet like Zog or Owen but instead he has been very complimentary to the club, not only that but it shows at times on the pitch where he is one of only a handful of players trying to put in 100% every game.

As for what players someone can love. Maybe it's just me but I can rather love players who are more often brilliant than frustrating. Martins isn't that kind of player for me because of his inconsistency. Apart from the very rare wonderstrikes he hasn't done too many things that really got me excited. I normally rather expect him to f*** things up then do the right thing. Therefore I see him just as an ordinary player. I reserve "love" for players of the calibre of Beardsley or maybe Shearer.

Sure, its fine to love the best things in life, but is everything you love the best?

Its his unpredictablitly thats makes him so exciting and frustrating, i can see where your coming from though, i guess im one of those people that get excited when he's on the ball, take the goal against Spurs recently(in fact take all his goals against them), i love watching that goal becasue there isnt a single player in the squad who would of scored the goal like that.

The bottom line though is that he is a striker who has scored a decent amount of goals in very poor circumstances, he's done his job. I dont think anyone should take that away from him, i can easily see why peoples love him.

I think the key is is that people predominantly love Martins the person more so than they love Martins the player.

Guest Darth Toon

The "saved us from relegation" is very overstated imho. Fair enough, he was the only real striker in the side then due to circumstances, but I am pretty sure any other striker would have "saved" us as well by getting a necessary amount of goals.

Even Alan Smith??

The "saved us from relegation" is very overstated imho. Fair enough, he was the only real striker in the side then due to circumstances, but I am pretty sure any other striker would have "saved" us as well by getting a necessary amount of goals. Apart from the Tottenham and maybe the Blackburn away game it wasn't so much his individual performances efforts that "saved" us.

I do also think that his commitment to the club is very much overstated. It's nice to hear those things he says, but who would expect him to slate the club. Other players say the same, it's just some kind of professional PR. He'd say the same about any other club as well iyam.

As for what players someone can love. Maybe it's just me but I can rather love players who are more often brilliant than frustrating. Martins isn't that kind of player for me because of his inconsistency. Apart from the very rare wonderstrikes he hasn't done too many things that really got me excited. I normally rather expect him to f*** things up then do the right thing. Therefore I see him just as an ordinary player. I reserve "love" for players of the calibre of Beardsley or maybe Shearer.

And if we had any other striker at the time scoring goals I'm sure he would have been popular too.

It seems to bother you that people like him which is something you will have to sort out yourself.

And if we had any other striker at the time scoring goals I'm sure he would have been popular too.

It seems to bother you that people like him which is something you will have to sort out yourself.

It only really bothers me when people actually behave like morons and put their love for a player above the love for the team, i.e. when they booed the substitution.

Apart from this I just strongly disagree with the judgement of some people regarding a player's (like)ability. I don't see any reason to sort this out tbh.

Anyone who booed KK taking Martins off against Fulham is a f****** idiot like.

Booing Kk was stupid but he does now leave Oba on, and if you are protecting a lead by sitting back a bit more while your opponent pushes forward then Oba's pace is needs to catch them out as they over commit..

Anyone who booed KK taking Martins off against Fulham is a f****** idiot like.

Booing Kk was stupid but he does now leave Oba on, and if you are protecting a lead by sitting back a bit more while your opponent pushes forward then Oba's pace is needs to catch them out as they over commit..

Do you think he does that now because we're pretty much safe and we don't need to protect our position or do you think he is pandering to a few of the arseholes who booed him? Rhetorical question, obviously.

He needs to be more consistent. I doubt he'll ever completely iron-out some of the weaknesses to his game but if he is able to play to his strengths that won't matter. He's a confidence player though and, with that in mind, I'm quite optimistic that Keegan can get the most out of him.

Certainly agree with you here, Alex.

There's a direct correlation between his confidence and performances. I know, it hardly takes a great statistician to realise that; it's common sense. But the point is, when he is confident, and when he is on form, he's so good to have in the team. More so than other players in our squad, arguably any player.

If you look at the phases of his Newcastle career where he has been high on confidence, he's been superb. Just for little runs of games though; and admittedly that's not frequent enough. However that's where the Keegan factor comes in, and given the man's motivational abilities, Martins prospects are more exciting now.

I'd arguably say that in terms of actual performances, the past four games have been Martins' best over a prolonged period, in his whole time here. Can't wait for next season and he becomes more consistent.

It only really bothers me when people actually behave like morons and put their love for a player about the love for the team, i.e. when they booed the substitution.

Apart from this I just strongly disagree with the judgement of some people regarding a player's (like)ability. I don't see any reason to sort this out tbh.

So you don't rate him as a player.

You could have just said that and left it there tbh instead of whinging on about people only liking him because he cost a big fee and has a few decent youtube compilations, which is bollocks quite frankly.

Anyone who booed KK taking Martins off against Fulham is a fucking idiot like.

Is it acceptable to boo any substitutions?

Debateable but I thought booing that one was particularly ridiculous, given the circumstances, it being obvious what the manager's thinking was and what happened against Blackburn previously. I don't really approve of booing the manager / the players full stop. I thought the 'You don't know what you're doing' aimed at Allardyce was bad craic even, given it's never anything other than unhelpful and divisive.

It only really bothers me when people actually behave like morons and put their love for a player about the love for the team, i.e. when they booed the substitution.

You could have just said that and left it there tbh instead of whinging on about people only liking him because he cost a big fee and has a few decent youtube compilations, which is bollocks quite frankly.

So basically you are just whinging about me whinging.

I think it is quite obvious that I don't rate him - or better don't rate him as much as others do. I don't retract from my comments about the fee and the youtube videos. I see them as a perfect explanation why some ordinary players are getting totally overhyped.

And for Skirge:

You think Keegan backed down to fan's pressure? Hilarious.

But if so, are other people allowed to boo Martins if one of his poor touches or stupidly lost balls results in the opponent scoring late in a game? Another rhetorical question btw...

:clap:

Oba is loved because he has always stood up, and defied the media in saying how much he loves the city, loves the club and doesn't want to leave.

Despite the media's best efforts to encourage him to consider leaving, he routinely states just how much he loves the club and the city.  The fact that he is willing to dig into the clubs history to understand who Keegan is and what he did, or how he wants to aspire to be like Shearer and doesn't think he is a step above him, endears him to the fans.

He could easily have turned his first season here into a move elsewhere, but he appears to have found a home in the Black and White stripes, and that appears to be very important to him.

So why not love him and his back flips.

Terrible thing to boo.

I will say this though, Martins goal against Spurs was exactly why you probably want him on the pitch when a team is coming at you towards the end of the game.

On the break he can be scarily effective. Scored a very similar goal against Blackburn last season too.

it was just a really silly way for the fans to express their feelings though.

Oba is loved because he has always stood up, and defied the media in saying how much he loves the city, loves the club and doesn't want to leave.

Despite the media's best efforts to encourage him to consider leaving, he routinely states just how much he loves the club and the city.  The fact that he is willing to dig into the clubs history to understand who Keegan is and what he did, or how he wants to aspire to be like Shearer and doesn't think he is a step above him, endears him to the fans.

He could easily have turned his first season here into a move elsewhere, but he appears to have found a home in the Black and White stripes, and that appears to be very important to him.

If you think he'd have turned down a move to a CL club last summer you're off your head imo.

exactly. thats one of the reasons why i support him so much.

HE EXCITES ME. When hes on the ball, i always wonder what the hell hes going to do with it, be it 3 quick turns and a pass backwards, or yelping for the ball from Beye and not getting it and getting worked up...the man wears his heart on his sleeve and wants to score goals. Hes dangerous, hes got an eye for the goal, and HE LOVES THE TOON.

Get a grip guys, hes not causing off the field drama (i dont think), hes not talking about playing for anyone else or saying "maybe one day I will move on, or assess my time after my contract comes up"...the Lad just wants to score goals and be another top player in the 9 shirt.

Howay OBA!

Debateable but I thought booing that one was particularly ridiculous, given the circumstances, it being obvious what the manager's thinking was and what happened against Blackburn previously. I don't really approve of booing the manager / the players full stop. I thought the 'You don't know what you're doing' aimed at Allardyce was bad craic even, given it's never anything other than unhelpful and divisive.

I'm not sure why people booed that substitution tbh, although I agree with Skirge's point about keeping your quick players on if you're looking to sit on a lead rather than someone like Viduka, I think Keegan took him off because of his reaction to being substituted against Birmingham anyway as if to say that his tantrum won't any affect on how he does things, I think the fan reaction might have shocked him though.

As for Allardyce. the 'You don't know what you're doing' is bad craic but it's hard not to get frustrated when you're chasing a game and he replaced Milner with N'Zogbia, the worst for me this season was the stick Barton got during the Blackburn game, the over the top groans when he gave the ball away compared to everyone else was pretty bad, as was the booing after the 0-0 against Villa.

I'm not sure why people booed that substitution tbh, although I agree with Skirge's point about keeping your quick players on if you're looking to sit on a lead rather than someone like Viduka, I think Keegan took him off because of his reaction to being substituted against Birmingham anyway as if to say that his tantrum won't any affect on how he does things, I think the fan reaction might have shocked him though.

As for Allardyce. the 'You don't know what you're doing' is bad craic but it's hard not to get frustrated when you're chasing a game and he replaced Milner with N'Zogbia, the worst for me this season was the stick Barton got during the Blackburn game, the over the top groans when he gave the ball away compared to everyone else was pretty bad, as was the booing after the 0-0 against Villa.

I totally agree there, especially re: Barton in that match. The poor fucker must have been scared to touch the ball.

I totally agree there, especially re: Barton in that match. The poor fucker must have been scared to touch the ball.

The thing is I think Keegan would have brought him off if it wasn't for the fear of the fans reaction towards him (Barton) which is worse than him getting stick for taking Oba off.

The crowd is our own worst enemy at times.

So basically you are just whinging about me whinging.

I think it is quite obvious that I don't rate him - or better don't rate him as much as others do. I don't retract from my comments about the fee and the youtube videos. I see them as a perfect explanation why some ordinary players are getting totally overhyped.

And for Skirge:

You think Keegan backed down to fan's pressure? Hilarious.

But if so, are other people allowed to boo Martins if one of his poor touches or stupidly lost balls results in the opponent scoring late in a game? Another rhetorical question btw...

But at the end of the day, he's a striker who has scored goals and been instrumental in the scoring of other goals. Noone claims that he's one of the best strikers in the world, no one is saying that he is as good as Tevez or Berb or Drog, people just seem aprecitaive of his input to the team since he's been here and his general personality.

I genuinely dont see what more he could do.

I just cant see too many "average" strikers ecplising what Martins has done so far in his Nufc career.

You have to ask yourself who else you class as avergae like Martins and ask if they could influence the results of as many games as Martins has with his goals and therefore saving the club from relegation.

If not, then you#re describing something of a paradox.

The thing is I think Keegan would have brought him off if it wasn't for the fear of the fans reaction towards him (Barton) which is worse than him getting stick for taking Oba off.

indeed, nice to see that there was no booing bartons name before the match against reading, that's the first time since his christmas behaviour, just goes to show people will forgive you if you put in a few good performances.

anyway back on topic, i've never been a big fan of oba, obviously i can see he's got talent but he's frustrated me more then excited me which i dont take as a good sign. however, since kk came in he's been getting better and better and i'm starting to think that oba might actually get a lot more consistent with kk guiding him, lets hope so because on his day he's un-stoppable, and there's not many players in the world you can say that about.

indeed, nice to see that there was no booing bartons name before the match against reading, that's the first time since his christmas behaviour, just goes to show people will forgive you if you put in a few good performances.

anyway back on topic, i've never been a big fan of oba, obviously i can see he's got talent but he's frustrated me more then excited me which i dont take as a good sign. however, since kk came in he's been getting better and better and i'm starting to think that oba might actually get a lot more consistent with kk guiding him, lets hope so because on his day he's un-stoppable, and there's not many players in the world you can say that about.

He's only been inconsistent this season because he's been played out of position.

He's only been inconsistent this season because he's been played out of position.

What about the rest of his career?