Oba...Obafem

TRon

Hope we try out the 3 man attack again. Can't see JK favouring it though. Think it is more than a viable option at home anyway and I still think Jonas will excel in a 3 man midfield.

It's something of an indictment of our attacking options that we have to play 3 strikers so that each one can make up for the weaknesses of the others. Not to mention compensating the lack of goals coming from midfield.

Hope we try out the 3 man attack again. Can't see JK favouring it though. Think it is more than a viable option at home anyway and I still think Jonas will excel in a 3 man midfield.

It's something of an indictment of our attacking options that we have to play 3 strikers so that each one can make up for the weaknesses of the others. Not to mention compensating the lack of goals coming from midfield.

I think you're wrong about that. The travesty is that the strikers have to make and take their own chances since no one willl create any for them.

Owen's got 26 in 58 and Martins has 32 in 90.

I should put a disclaimer saying Owen's 'true' ratio stands at 19 in 44 because this isn't the same Owen that we had in his first season here.

If you're going with this school of thought would it not make sense to take off games for Oba settling in to the league which Owen has never had to do, then also take off games for playing on the wing under Allardyce.

I like Oba but i always feel he has to be playing well to get a goal. Its not ideal likening him to Shearer but AS could be awful for 89 minutes and then pop up with a great finish to get you a result. I just feel Obas such a confidence player he doesnt believe he will score when he's having a 'mare.

I should put a disclaimer saying Owen's 'true' ratio stands at 19 in 44 because this isn't the same Owen that we had in his first season here.

If you're going with this school of thought would it not make sense to take off games for Oba settling in to the league which Owen has never had to do, then also take off games for playing on the wing under Allardyce.

He played about 2 games on the wing.

No, that's just incorrect. And regardlessof what you think of the two players, one cannot argue that Owen has been a completely disasterous signing for this club. Do not through stats in my face when this is obvious. Owen is a good player, but he is leaving in the summer. His time here will be remembered as the darkest period of his career, and the darkest times for Newcastle in the Premiership era.

No, that's just incorrect.

Oba didnt play that many games on the wing. It cant have been any more than 3 or 4. Generally because under Allardyce there wasnt too many games where Martins, Owen and Viduka were all fit.

Anyway, why take games off just cos he was stuck out wide. Doesnt seem to put the mockers on Cristiano Ronaldo's goal record. :joker:

No, that's just incorrect. And regardlessof what you think of the two players, one cannot argue that Owen has been a completely disasterous signing for this club. Do not through stats in my face when this is obvious. Owen is a good player, but he is leaving in the summer. His time here will be remembered as the darkest period of his career, and the darkest times for Newcastle in the Premiership era.

It would be interesting to see where we would be without Owens goals last year.

The Championship is quite possibly the answer.

:lol:

Out of interest, would you care to list the games he was out on the wing? I remember Derby at home off the top of my head.

No I really wouldn't...I really don't care about this minor issue enough to put that much effort in. But it was more than 2 games I'm sure.

I see you have laughed at my previous comment, but I believe it is very true. Will you honestly look back fondly at Owen's time here? I liked this guy alot at Liverpool, but he has really stalled here. Also, he's been a massive massive waste of money. 

Out of interest, would you care to list the games he was out on the wing? I remember Derby at home off the top of my head.

No I really wouldn't...I really don't care about this minor issue enough to put that much effort in. But it was more than 2 games I'm sure.

I see you have laughed at my previous comment, but I believe it is very true. Will you honestly look back fondly at Owen's time here? I liked this guy alot at Liverpool, but he has really stalled here. Also, he's been a massive massive waste of money. 

I'm not going to fault someone for two freak long-term injuries, especially when he has the goalscoring record he has at Newcastle. And before you quote the niggly injuries, he hasn't missed that many games, or no more than any other Premiership player.

I'm not going to fault someone for two freak long-term injuries, especially when he has the goalscoring record he has at Newcastle. And before you quote the niggly injuries, he hasn't missed that many games, or no more than any other Premiership player.

I'm not really faulting him, Nut. It's just the truth of the matter. His contribution to the club has not been what was expected. Therefore he was a waste of money. Just like Barton was a bad signing (unless he turns it around, which he can). Though he has talent, his contribution to the team has not been enough.

Guest Sniffer

If martins left in January I doubt many people would look back fondly on his time here either. Or viduka.

Owen may not be the player he was at Liverpool, Viduka is certainly not the player he was at leeds or Boro but saying that, Martins game has not improved in the years he's been here. Spectacular on occasion but overall I don't think he's understands the game in a way a top striker does.

If martins left in January I doubt many people would look back fondly on his time here either. Or viduka.

Owen may not be the player he was at Liverpool, Viduka is certainly not the player he was at leeds or Boro but saying that, Martins game has not improved in the years he's been here. Spectacular on occasion but overall I don't think he's understands the game in a way a top striker does.

I think that's the top and bottom of it, compare Martins November 08, to Martins November 06, and is there any difference?

I don't know why this always has to turn into an Owen v Oba debate, we should be glad we have both. However I would assume that most fans are getting used to the idea that Owen will leave and they would prefer to see him go than if Oba was sold. For one thing Oba has another 10 years playing left in him, Owen has about 4 if he's lucky.

I don't know why this always has to turn into an Owen v Oba debate, we should be glad we have both. However I would assume that most fans are getting used to the idea that Owen will leave and they would prefer to see him go than if Oba was sold. For one thing Oba has another 10 years playing left in him, Owen has about 4 if he's lucky.

They're vying for the same spot now Viduka is back.

Guest Sniffer

He might have ten yeras left in him providing he doesn't have an injury that takes away his pace. Problem with martins is his game is not improving but standing still.

He might have ten yeras left in him providing he doesn't have an injury that takes away his pace. Problem with martins is his game is not improving but standing still.

The problem with Oba is the one area of his game that really needs improving is in his head and that's not always something you can learn.  He certainly hasn't shown any signs of improving that area while he's been here and that's why he isn't a great partner for anyone.

How anyone could have expected any of our players to improve in the last few years is beyond me.

People talk about Martins improving, but has anyone in the tea improved in his time here?

How anyone could have expected any of our players to improve in the last few years is beyond me.

People talk about Martins improving, but has anyone in the tea improved in his time here?

Ok I'll ask this...is he any better from when he played us in the Champions League in 2003 than he is now? All I see is a very good striker (not that that's a bad thing!), but I don't see him improving any.

Guest Sniffer

You wouldn't expect the likes of Owen to improve his game. If you buy players who are past their best like Butt and viduka you don't expect them to get any better. You do expect younger players who supposedly are getting toward their peak years to show  a steady improvement. Especially if you pay a sizeable wedge for them. That has not been the case with Martins.

I said a few months after we'd signed him he'd not improve, but we'd have to put up with him being brilliant one day, rubbish the next. If he couldn't improve his first-touch, positional sense, etc. playing under a top-class striker like Mancini, and playing alongside the likes of Crespo, Vieri & Recoba, then what would make him suddenly improve here? I know people were saying he was young at Inter, but I just don't see him having the brain to do it.