Oba...Obafem

TRon

When has he ever been given a significant run in the first team (before last season)? And last season he was arguably one of our best players even though it was his first year in the Premiership and he played in a team which was really shit as well.

I think he has a lot more to offer, and has got many attributes that KK will be able to exploit. He's still really young as well so to pass judgment on him now would be very hasty.

He's never been consistent is all I'm saying, even last year - when he did have a run in the first team so it's not like his being played out of position this season at times can be considered the only factor imo.

The "saved us from relegation" is very overstated imho. Fair enough, he was the only real striker in the side then due to circumstances, but I am pretty sure any other striker would have "saved" us as well by getting a necessary amount of goals.

Yeah maybe, but no other striker did, Oba did.

The "saved us from relegation" is very overstated imho. Fair enough, he was the only real striker in the side then due to circumstances, but I am pretty sure any other striker would have "saved" us as well by getting a necessary amount of goals.

Put it this way, if Roeder had actually gotten Kuyt instead of Oba... :frantic:

Put it this way, if Roeder had actually gotten Kuyt instead of Oba... :frantic:

Kuyt was either going to Liverpool or staying put though. He's a canny player too imo. Martins was a better buy than Kuyt would have been though, for us that summer that is, because we needed a goalscorer.

Oba is outstanding in some ways - pace, power, ability to shoot with both feet. But he is also naff at other things

Kuyt isn't outstanding at anything. He's good at most stuff but he's not the kind of player who will excite or single-handedly turn a game on its head.

It comes down to what you prefer. Personally i love that flash of brilliance that Oba, Robert etc are capable of. I can forgive their inconsistency because i know that there will be occasions in every season when they make me think wow!

Kuyt on the other hand. Meh!

from the sun like...but a positive report for once

----------

I'll snub Arsenal for Newcastle

OBAFEMI MARTINS has snubbed a £15million move to Arsenal — because he wants to fire Newcastle back into Europe.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger suffered another blow when Toon’s in-demand striker played down interest from the Londoners — insisting he is happy on Tyneside.

Manchester United and AC Milan are also willing to spend big on the speedy 23-year-old, who has more than two years left on his £60,000-a-week deal.

Martins arrived at St James’ Park in 2006 in a £10m move from Inter Milan.

He came close to quitting under Sam Allardyce but wants to help new boss Kevin Keegan steer the Toon into a European place next season.

Martins’ advisor Chris Nathaniel said: “Several top clubs have made contact but Obafemi hasn’t indicated an interest in any of them and he has no intention of quitting the club.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1029048.ece

----------

OBAFEMI MARTINS has snubbed a £15million move to Arsenal — because he wants to fire Newcastle back into Europe.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger suffered another blow when Toon’s in-demand striker played down interest from the Londoners — insisting he is happy on Tyneside.

Manchester United and AC Milan are also willing to spend big on the speedy 23-year-old, who has more than two years left on his £60,000-a-week deal.

Martins arrived at St James’ Park in 2006 in a £10m move from Inter Milan.

He came close to quitting under Sam Allardyce but wants to help new boss Kevin Keegan steer the Toon into a European place next season.

Martins’ advisor Chris Nathaniel said: “Several top clubs have made contact but Obafemi hasn’t indicated an interest in any of them and he has no intention of quitting the club.”

So Oba's agent has told "Arsenal" to fuck off with their £15m, because he isn't interested in a cut. Riiight... :uglystupid2:

----------

OBAFEMI MARTINS has snubbed a £15million move to Arsenal because he wants to fire Newcastle back into Europe.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger suffered another blow when Toons in-demand striker played down interest from the Londoners insisting he is happy on Tyneside.

Martins arrived at St James Park in 2006 in a £10m move from Inter Milan.

Martins advisor Chris Nathaniel said: Several top clubs have made contact but Obafemi hasnt indicated an interest in any of them and he has no intention of quitting the club.

So Oba's agent has told "Arsenal" to fuck off with their £15m, because he isn't interested in a cut. Riiight... :uglystupid2:

Exactly what I thought. I hope he stays but why are people believing 1) an agent and 2) The Sun just because Martins is involved?

Guest float one in

I still don't think he should be a first choice striker for us if we are wanting to be pushing for the top four in a coule of season's time.

It's often said that some players do nowt when their team has not got the ball (Owen has been one of these for most of hs career) but they prove their worth when their team gets possession. Thats all well and good. Martins is one of these players - nowt wrong with that. But the thing that gets me about him is that his poor touch, passing and awareness often mean that we are effectively playing with ten men when we have the ball as well. I don't think a team that wants to be consistently picking points up over a whole season, playing a settled style of football, with the realistic aim of competing at the top of the league, can have players like this in the first choice first team. We've all seen that he is capable of moments where he combines skill, speed and power to spectacular effect, but he can just as easily look as if he hasn't got a clue. It's inconsistent and unpredictable and that won't help us achieve a settled way of playing (particularly attacking).

Oba has worked very well as part of this new 433 in the last few matches and that is great. He looks dangerous when he picks the ball up, even when far from goal. However, as others have pointed out he's done this from time to time throughout most of his career.

However, in my opinion the main reason Martins has looked better is Viduka's availability and form. He has the class to make the ball stick more often than not, so that ball does not end up coming straight back at our defence and midfield - it takes the pressure off and allows the likes of Barton, Beye and Enrique to support attacks without expecting to get caught out on a counter attack, and it also means that Martins doesn't have that responsibility and can concentrate on playing facing the opposition goal.

If Viduka stays fit and motivated next year and KK plays the same system, Martins could do a job for us. However what is there to suggest that if Viduka goes he's not going to go back to being just as infuriating as ever? Well, I think there is only one possible answer to that - Keegan. The question is can Keegan turn him into a more rounded and consistent player that will be able to play in the more conventional 442 that I reckon he still wants to get back to playing (depending on who he signs in the summer)? For all I've said above, I'd like to see what KK can do with him in the summer and next season and then make a decision on him maybe next summer.

I'd like to see him be a long term success here, as he does have the ability to score goals and provide excitement, but from what I've seen so far I'm not convinced that he can help us puch for the top places in the league.

It's funny how the same people dismissed the rags when they said he wanted to leave.

I dismiss most things the rags say

So do I. I wasn't referring to you however.

It's funny how the same people dismissed the rags when they said he wanted to leave.

Ah right, i didn't think you were singling me out, but in general i think most people tend not to take the shit served to us in tabloids too seriously.

Ah right, i didn't think you were singling me out, but in general i think most people tend not to take the shit served to us in tabloids too seriously.

That was my point too really. I.e. if it was a negative Martins story some of the people wanting to hump his leg would have said it was bollocks.

That was my point too really. I.e. if it was a negative Martins story some of the people wanting to hump his leg would have said it was bollocks.

Too true. The same people perhaps who take "ronaldinho to the toon" reports seriously.

Too true. The same people perhaps who take "ronaldinho to the toon" reports seriously.

No man! :lol: The people who normally dismiss tha tabloids but believe this because they love Martins. Never mind ;)

No man! :lol: The people who normally dismiss tha tabloids but believe this because they love Martins. Never mind ;)

:lol: fuck off im tired

People always pick and choose what they want to believe to help their agenda.

At the moment Martins is a popular figure at the club for most so anything negative will be bollocks on the other hand any negative about players like Taylor or Smith would probably be "yeah but if it is true....".