Oba...Obafem

TRon

Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins has apologised for his strop following his substitution against Middlesbrough.

Martins reacted angrily to be subbed by Joe Kinnear for Mark Viduka in the second half of the goalless draw at The Riverside.

The Nigerian marched straight to the visiting dressing room without shaking manager Kinnear's hand.

Martins has apologised to Kinnear and admits he was wrong to react the way he did.

"I was absolutely gutted at being hauled off, and it was all down to sheer disappointment," Martins told the Evening Chronicle.

"Like any other player, I am always most disappointed when I am substituted.

"But I am sorry if what I did was a problem and, in hindsight, perhaps it was wrong for me to go into the dressing room and not go on the bench.

"I was feeling good and felt as though I could score and I still do not know or understand why I was called off.

"I don't suppose it was a surprise that Mark Viduka was brought on, especially as there were no goals.

"But I was hoping I would get the chance to play alongside him and Michael Owen and not be the one to make way for him.

"When the three of us were used together as a three-pronged attack last season we had a fair amount of success."

the managers dilema. take off who is playing better or keep on the player who is usually more likely ?

the more i read these threads the more it basically looks like people prefer martins as he is more exciting but the results generally just about favour owen.

I am actually quite keen to see a Viduka/Owen partnership without Oba in the mix. I hear so much criticism about Oba's stupidity, bad touch, poor aniticipation etc, I'd just like to see the two 'class forwards'  have a few games together and see what they come up with. I'm not sure they'll be as effective without "thick as mince" Martins pulling defenders all over the place.

Besides, I think we need Martins on the pitch just to get Gemmill popping up now and then bursting a blood vessel at the thought anyone rates him.

Guest palnese

but then again... if jfk had any bollocks he would either have subbed owen or a midfielder, and decided to go for the 3 points.

Kinnear seems happy to start with his in form players so I don't understand his decision to take the better performer off on the day, unless he's too scared to take Owen off in case he thinks it will go against him when trying to get him to sign a new contract.

Guest neesy111

when bellamy was here, he would run down and chase every ball, this created space for our midfielders and also tired out defenders, hence why we we're the comeback games for the those 2 seasons which we finished in the top 4

it's a team game, if viduka and owen we're having quiet games together then you might as well play with 9 men at times tbh

oba create's stuff out of nothing, can't say that with owen tbh

when bellamy was here, he would run down and chase every ball, this created space for our midfielders and also tired out defenders, hence why we we're the comeback games for the those 2 seasons which we finished in the top 4

it's a team game, if viduka and owen we're having quiet games together then you might as well play with 9 men at times tbh

oba create's stuff out of nothing, can't say that with owen tbh

Why are the first two lines in this thread? It's not like they apply to the subject matter.

Guest Heneage

I like the fact he got annoyed, shows he cares, he was wrongly brought off and its good to have players with a bit of passion.

I'd be storming off an all. Not just Kinnear, it was Keegan and Allardyce. All terrified of upsetting the mighty Owen and always subbing Oba.

As for showing his passion what the f*** is wrong with that? Would you rather he laughed as he came off the field? But in some peoples eyes he'll never be "right", good job most fans love him for what he is and just see his goals and his play.

It's got f*ck all to do with upsetting Owen. Late on against Fulham, who looked like the most likely to nick an equaliser? Owen. Against Wigan, who was getting most of the chances late on? Owen. It's not like it was Ameobi or Carroll or whoever that had remained on the pitch, or if it was Ameobi or Carroll replacing him. We still had two top-class strikers out there on the pitch, and late on when Owen set up Viduka, it was very close to being justified.

I like the way he tries to create something to score a goal. He seemed to be one of the players who are really seeking out for the ball throughout the match. For that, I don't think he deserves to be substituted.

An added aspect of the decision will be Owen's contract situation.

If Kinnear holds out any hope of Owen re-signing then he's going to do everything possible to keep him sweet. If he's fit, he'll play him imo.

An added aspect of the decision will be Owen's contract situation.

If Kinnear holds out any hope of Owen re-signing then he's going to do everything possible to keep him sweet. If he's fit, he'll play him imo.

Agree. But so should Martins. And Viduka.

Guest Howaythetoon

Joe's pickle

Play all three and be overran in midfield?

Bring Owen off because he hasn't touched the ball all game = you lose your best chance of sneaking a goal?

Bring Martins off = you lose the pace up front to stretch the home side who will be pushing for a late winner?

Put Viduka on = make the ball stick up front so the defence and midfield can push up and to also keep more of the ball meaning less pressure on the side and to have a greater chance of scoring ourselves?

I'd have taken Martins off 9 times out of 10 in such circumstances where we were effectively protecting a point but hoping to sneak a late winner, especially on the road.

Owen is the most likeliest to grab a goal regardless of whether he's been in the game or not whereas of all the forwards Martins is more likely to fluff a chance regardless of whether he's been in the game or not too.

Correct decision from Kinnear in my eyes.

I dont believe Owen is more likely than Oba to 'sneak' a goal tbh, certainly not anymore.

Without looking at stats, I'd imagine Owen has scored more goals for us, and had more chances in the last season and a bit in the last 20 minutes of matches than what Martins has.

Guest Goalfather

Owen's got 26 in 58 and Martins has 32 in 90.

I should put a disclaimer saying Owen's 'true' ratio stands at 19 in 44 because this isn't the same Owen that we had in his first season here.

But Oba stats should b e qualified becaus he does not always play as a striker.He often plays on the left or right or as a support striker

I should put a disclaimer saying Owen's 'true' ratio stands at 19 in 44 because this isn't the same Owen that we had in his first season here.

But Oba stats should b e qualified becaus he does not always play as a striker.He often plays on the left or right or as a support striker

Out of interest, where was Owen playing when he had his best goalscoring streak? And where was Martins playing?

Guest Goalfather

Out of interest, where was Owen playing when he had his best goalscoring streak? And where was Martins playing?

He played as a deep lying striker.