Phew. Riise signs for Roma

Kaizero

I think Enrique just needs to play as much as often now, if he's staying. It's the only way he'll develop into a good PL player imo.

Nail on the head. If we are going to buy another LB then he has to be exceptional as far as I'm concerned, or an outstanding prospect, although Ben Tozer would probably fall into that category. There's no point in buying an 'ok' left back when we have one who looks like he might be better than that already here.

I agree with practically all of you opinions that Enrique needs to stay, but i think, Riise, is a too good of a player to turn down. Him being brilliant cover for LB/LW in case of injuries/under performing players.

If he would be happy to sit behind Clichy/Rosicky waiting for injuries/fatigue/under performace.

Id love him at the arse!

Please take him then  :razz:

But as for Newcastle - why would Riise want to go there to be cover for other players, when he can do that at Liverpool? He could go to a number of clubs and be first choice.

I hope though that he goes in the summer. He has been dreadful this season.

His biggest problem will always be that he's the most one footed player in the world. It's a joke that a pro footballer can't use his right foot - even for the most simple of tasks. He will tie himself up in a knot, just to get the ball on his left foot.

He does my head in.

Guest Knightrider

No better than Enrique, more experienced of course but he wouldn't bring much else to that spot in the team that the Spaniard couldn't bring giving a run of games playing in a better team and I'm saying that with the opinion that Enrique isn't good enough either. Riise would make a good squad player but we need good first-team players and badly so we should be looking beyond players like him and others of similar standard iyam.

• 2 months later...

Still being linked: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/search/display.var.2312132.0.riise_the_target_after_emre_sale.php

NEWCASTLE boss Kevin Keegan will use the money from Emre's departure to Turkish side Fenerbahce to fund a swoop for out-of-favour Liverpool fullback John Arne Riise.

Emre left Turkey's European Championships training camp at the weekend to discuss personal terms with Fenerbahce after Newcastle accepted an offer of around £4m.

That money has already been earmarked for a formal offer for Riise.

advertisement

The Norwegian has been deemed surplus to requirements at Anfield, and Newcastle are also ready to make a move.

Keegan has prioritised the purchase of a left-back this summer as there is no experienced cover for the Magpies' current first-choice, Jose Enrique.

With seven years of Premier League experience under his belt, 27-year-old Riise would be able to make a seamless transition to Tyneside, and his ability to also play in midfield is another factor behind Newcastle's interest.

With Emre having agreed to return to his homeland, and fellow left-midfielder Charles N'- Zogbia also likely to leave this summer, the Magpies are short of left-footed options.

Riise's versatility effectively enables him to solve two problems at once, thereby freeing up valuable funds that Keegan will be able to divert elsewhere.

Was also just on the news here in Norway how Riise didn't rule out any move, either to another club in Europe or another English club when Newcastle and Roma were mentioned as clubs interested in him.

If we sell Duff for around the same price i might consider brining Riise in.

All in all probably a more productive winger than Duff and an average defender who could cover Enrique.

Duff has to go though.

In fact thinking about it Riise could replace 4 men here:

Backup LB which we have nowt for.

Better winger than Duff.

Better option than an always injured Emre and could at a push play on the left side of the 3 in 433.

Better striker than Alan Smith.

:lol:

His agent said today that he'd had no contact from any club. I couldn't be arsed posting it.

Roma gaffer apparently likes him though: http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/06/11/Prem-Spalletti-on-Riise/

Personally I'd only take him as starting eleven cover, and not a guaranteed part of the starting line-up. Though if he actually comes here, I reckon the exact opposite would be what happens.

Imo, not a chance in hell we can afford to have (nor would himself accept)Riise as backup.

Megagroan.

With the way a season pans out i doubt he'd ever feel it tbh.

30 starts a season if he takes over the LB, LW and LM

We should off Milner for Riise & Pennant.

I just hope that we dont bring in a new LB to replace Enrique in the first team. He will be even better next season when he has some experience from the PL and gets a whole pre season. He did well for us in the end of the season that was, and he's very young and will probably get better and better and we could have a future star at left back....

Well i dont think KK is looking to replace him in the first team either after the nice words he said about Enrique and next season and so on..

And im sure that with time and some patience we will see Enrique going forward a little bit more often in the future, even if he might not be a Lahm typ of player. I think he has a nice left foot and always tries to pick a good pass and play it on the deck instead of just hoofing it up to someone.

Im looking forward seeing him in the black and white shirt next season along with some good signings hopefully..

I wouldn't consider Riise a major step up from Duff if i'm honest; i can see him turning out very similar. It'd just be the same old story of us throwing stacks of cash at a former top 4 player - who's just happy to sit there and pick up the same wage (or better) for 'less of a job'. Plus, i just don't think Riise's that good anyway. :undecided:

I wouldn't consider Riise a major step up from Duff if i'm honest; i can see him turning out very similar. It'd just be the same old story of us throwing stacks of cash at a former top 4 player - who's just happy to sit there and pick up the same wage (or better) for 'less of a job'. Plus, i just don't think Riise's that good anyway. :undecided:

Correctamundo.

Meh you are most certainly all right, just thinking were not going to be signing anyone special so lets fill out the squad and at least avoid another relegation scare.

It was the likes of Duff that had us lingering over the relegation spots though...

That's not to say he was directly responsible for loads of shite results and performances (like Smith/Butt/Allardyce); but your winger is someone who you rely on to provide, and Duff's never been able to do that. Milner falls into the same category unfortuantely, against popular appeal. Not to the same extent, granted.

We can't be doing with relying on the likes of Riise imo. Like i say, we'd just be replacing one Duff with another.

Meh you are most certainly all right, just thinking were not going to be signing anyone special so lets fill out the squad and at least avoid another relegation scare.

Fuck off man. :lol:

We'll be fine when the King returns from his hols tbh. I trust him to get us a good squad, and I'm really looking forward to next season. :smitten:

Fuck off man. :lol:

We'll be fine when the King returns from his hols tbh. I trust him to get us a good squad, and I'm really looking forward to next season. :smitten:

:lol:

Speaking of this Holiday, obviously decided to sail/row a dingy across to the States to save money (Ashley's cost cutting orders) should arrive there this weekend if the weather holds.