The back four today

AlanSkÃrare

Still think enrique needs to improve massively going forward, additionally they were up against a very poor team, but fair do's, clean sheet, long may it continue

Agree with that, ive noticed that he's not very agile, also, i know he's well built but he seems a bit sluggish maybe not the fittest at the moment. Is that just me who's thought this?

Defensively i think he's very good though.

Wouldn't be my choice but we should stick with it now. Given that we're actually geting results now. (I'd have Faye in midfield). But then, if we are going to be playing Faye in defense, he should be alongside Caçapa imo. Taylor's still a big liability.

Taylor has been far better than Faye in the last two games.

And has been far worse over the rest of the season.

Play well and keep the shirt though.

Faye has been Ok, but is certainly not as good as he has been made out to be

Faye has been far better than Taylor over the whole season, it isn't even close.

Taylor was shite against Birmingham but Faye was even worse so it's not really a case of playing for the shirt, if that was the case Keegan should have started Cacapa and Edgar today.

I honestly think Cacapa has been the worst of the 3, and we're playing the "better" 2.  I appreciate you'll disagree :)

Not sure what Edgar has done to gain a starting place, but I agree he should have featured more this year to at least be given a chance.

You said play well and keep the shirt, I pointed out that both were shite against Birmingham so if Keegan were going down that route then Cacapa and Edgar should have started today, tongue in cheek of course.

Wouldn't be my choice but we should stick with it now. Given that we're actually geting results now. (I'd have Faye in midfield). But then, if we are going to be playing Faye in defense, he should be alongside Caçapa imo. Taylor's still a big liability.

Taylor has been far better than Faye in the last two games.

And has been far worse over the rest of the season.

Play well and keep the shirt though.

Faye has been Ok, but is certainly not as good as he has been made out to be

Faye has been far better than Taylor over the whole season, it isn't even close.

Taylor was shite against Birmingham but Faye was even worse so it's not really a case of playing for the shirt, if that was the case Keegan should have started Cacapa and Edgar today.

I honestly think Cacapa has been the worst of the 3, and we're playing the "better" 2.  I appreciate you'll disagree :)

Not sure what Edgar has done to gain a starting place, but I agree he should have featured more this year to at least be given a chance.

You said play well and keep the shirt, I pointed out that both were shite against Birmingham so if Keegan were going down that route then Cacapa and Edgar should have started today, tongue in cheek of course.

FWIW i don't think play well and keep the shirt is the same as play poorly and get dropped.  Edgar not being involved more is mystifying though.

I've been impressed with what I've seen of Edgar, he's good in the air and decent with the ball at his feet.

Should have spent the season out on loan IMO rather than picking 5 minutes here and there.

Guest sittingontheball

Fulham did very little in the box yesterday, so well done lads. Hey, hey, a clean sheet!

Was just thinking how much I agree with Keegan's policy on the defence.  I hated the way Allardyce would chop and change things if a player made an error.  All players make mistakes, but the manager needs to show faith in a player if the player is to have any faith in himself.

We've still conceded 5 in 4 since the last change, and I reckon there's still a lot of work to be done on getting them to gel, but after the first 3 games I don't think Allardyce stuck with the same defence for more than 2 games all the time he was here.

Guest toonlass

TBF I think we need to have some consistancy throughout the team, not just in defence. Keep the same team going for as long as we are picking up points.

TBF I think we need to have some consistancy throughout the team, not just in defence. Keep the same team going for as long as we are picking up points.

I agree 100%.

Same formation too.

The only change I could see is Milner in for Geremi.

(anyone know when Milner is back?)

I've been impressed with what I've seen of Edgar, he's good in the air and decent with the ball at his feet.

Should have spent the season out on loan IMO rather than picking 5 minutes here and there.

Agree that he should have gone out on loan, he hasn't even been picking up 5 minutes here and there, Saturday was his first Premier League football this season.

I agree 100%.

Same formation too.

Nooo, we need to go back to 442 against Spurs or we will be bummed to high heaven, they play down the channels and the fullbacks will be horribly exposed.

Guest Stephen927

I agree 100%.

Same formation too.

A fortnight iirc.

Guest toonlass

I agree 100%.

Same formation too.

Nooo, we need to go back to 442 against Spurs or we will be bummed to high heaven, they play down the channels and the fullbacks will be horribly exposed.

Oh ok, lets go back to the team and formation that wasn't working and leaked goals left right and centre. While we're at it lets bring Smith in for either Oba or Viduka!!!

I agree 100%.

Same formation too.

We will get bummed with 4-4-2 tbh. It will expose our frail midfield, shit wingers, and lack of creativity. All its is going to take is a bit more hard work. Could see Geremi dropping out, with zog in, as his pace can help on the flanks. So it would be a Barton Butt Zog midfield.

Beye-Faye-Taylor-Enrique have got a couple of games together now under Keegan, something that never happend under Allardyce, due to injuries, but also due to his lack of patience with the central pair and his decision to always play N'Zogbia at left-back. Not that these guys were tested today, but they have looked far more comfortable and solid against Birmingham and Fulham than any of the defensive lines that Allardyce tried during his reign.

This is not me saying we don't need new defenders in the summer, but I think Keegan deserves credit for sticking to them despite the game at Liverpool and we conceded loads against Man Utd. Would have been easy for him to drop Taylor for Cacapa, or move N'Zogbia back into Enriques position.

:thup:

I think the constant changing of the back four by Allardyce is more a sign of "tactical ineptness" to be honest ie trying to be clever. Anybody will tell you - or should know - that a settled back 4 who develop an understanding is the most valuable thing.

Can't stand these "football tinkerers" to be honest. Another example of how he lost the plot and its not what he seemed to do at Bolton, which is strange when you consider that he is the man who brought in Rozenhal and Cacapa, who can both be shown the door in the summer for me.

On the other hand. He brought in Beye and Faye, so he did something right.

Man for man, I like the current back 4. With Edgar standing by, its not a priority.

I agree 100%.

Same formation too.

Oh ok, lets go back to the team and formation that wasn't working and leaked goals left right and centre. While we're at it lets bring Smith in for either Oba or Viduka!!!

Christ.

I think we should keep the 3 who were in midfield and have N'Zogbia on the left to provide cover for Enrique otherwise he'll have two players to deal with most of the time. We've played two shit teams and done reasonably well with this formation, that doesn't warrant it being cast in stone as our best formation. Playing away against a better team you need to think about the opposition first and 442 is the way we should go imo.

Geremi-Butt-Barton-Zog

Zog can push on when we have the ball.

Guest toonlass

I agree 100%.

Same formation too.

Christ.

I think we should keep the 3 who were in midfield and have N'Zogbia on the left to provide cover for Enrique otherwise he'll have two players to deal with most of the time. We've played two shit teams and done reasonably well with this formation, that doesn't warrant it being cast in stone as our best formation. Playing away against a better team you need to think about the opposition first and 442 is the way we should go imo.

Geremi-Butt-Barton-Zog

So are you dropping Owen, Martins or Viduka to play this formation?

Beye-Faye-Taylor-Enrique have got a couple of games together now under Keegan, something that never happend under Allardyce, due to injuries, but also due to his lack of patience with the central pair and his decision to always play N'Zogbia at left-back. Not that these guys were tested today, but they have looked far more comfortable and solid against Birmingham and Fulham than any of the defensive lines that Allardyce tried during his reign.

This is not me saying we don't need new defenders in the summer, but I think Keegan deserves credit for sticking to them despite the game at Liverpool and we conceded loads against Man Utd. Would have been easy for him to drop Taylor for Cacapa, or move N'Zogbia back into Enriques position.

I think the constant changing of the back four by Allardyce is more a sign of "tactical ineptness" to be honest ie trying to be clever. Anybody will tell you - or should know - that a settled back 4 who develop an understanding is the most valuable thing.

Can't stand these "football tinkerers" to be honest. Another example of how he lost the plot and its not what he seemed to do at Bolton, which is strange when you consider that he is the man who brought in Rozenhal and Cacapa, who can both be shown the door in the summer for me.

Man for man, I like the current back 4. With Edgar standing by, its not a priority.

I agree. Man for man, this is one of the better back fours we have for a good few years, and yet we have still, throughout the season, conceded bucketloads of goals. Just shows how much we're failing to function as a team.

Good post, agree with that. Allardyce (and others such as Benitez) just try and be too clever for their own good IMO, changing things all the time.

Also agree on the current back four. Taylor's not had a great time this season, and opinions are very split on him, but for the rest of the season at least I'd stick with what we have now.

I agree 100%.

Same formation too.

Christ.

Geremi-Butt-Barton-Zog

Martins, as I say i'd hope when we had the ball Zog would push forward to support.

I agree 100%.

Same formation too.

Christ.

Geremi-Butt-Barton-Zog

Martins, as I say i'd hope when we had the ball Zog would push forward to support.

People will cry if Martins gets dropped though.

I agree 100%.

Same formation too.

Christ.

I think we should keep the 3 who were in midfield and have N'Zogbia on the left to provide cover for Enrique otherwise he'll have two players to deal with most of the time. We've played two s*** teams and done reasonably well with this formation, that doesn't warrant it being cast in stone as our best formation. Playing away against a better team you need to think about the opposition first and 442 is the way we should go imo.

Geremi-Butt-Barton-Zog

Wasn't 4-4-2 exactly our problem?

I can see where you are coming from, however I can see what Keegan is trying to do with the team at the moment. Without the ball Owen is dropping back, Geremi has beye helping out with the wide players, butt is playing a "sweeper" esque midfield role, closing down those with the ball. Barton is helping out Enrique. Even martins can come back to help in the midfield.

I can't see why we would go back to 4-4-2, eliminating our threat we have been generated going forward, and having to drop one of our three effective strikers.

From looking at Keegans comments OWen is here to stay in this AM/ST role. Therefore I predict the 4-3-3- is here to stay too.