Owen in a deeper role - could it be the way forward?

Dave

Striker Michael Owen has said he was not clear about his role when he came on for England against France, and suggested journalists should ask Capello what he was trying to achieve if they wanted clarification. (Various)

:iamatwat:

Was his passing as good today as it was against Fulham, anyone? It was pinpoint and very forward-thinking last week; probably key to us winning the game in my opinion, even if there wasn't a goal directly from it.

we're saying "dropping back" but (and i only heard todays game,haven't seen it yet) in the previous 2 games the front 3 were very flexable. the spearhead of the 3 could be either of the 3 but owen rarely went left and martins rarely went right. viduka would often play either side if one of the others was through the middle.

the mobility makes tham hard to mark.

owen very rarely gives the ball away,something commented on by a few in the dark days...........the fault being he rarely got it.

Very happy to admit that it looks like I was wrong about him given what I was saying five games ago. :)

Looks revitalised, all three of the frontmen are feeding off each other so well. They all have limitations and they're each making up for each other's leaving them to use their strengths. Brilliant. :)

Very happy to admit that it looks like I was wrong about him given what I was saying five games ago. :)

Looks revitalised, all three of the frontmen are feeding off each other so well. They all have limitations and they're each making up for each other's leaving them to use their strengths. Brilliant. :)

Yep, i have to agree.

Key thing for me - they all want it more.

And they say KK can't read a game. Without going over the top the things he's getting now from Owen and others is a miracle.

And they say KK can't read a game. Without going over the top the things he's getting now from Owen and others is a miracle.

that last sentence is hilarious but i agree with the sentiment.

remember this is the man who has no idea of tactics etc but he totally changes the formation and pattern of the team to get a load more out of them.

Owen's so suited to this role (for reasons pointed out previously in this thread) and is making it click to such effect right now that I'm worried about how well it'll work if he goes back up front as part of a regular partnership next year.

Long sentence, that.

The thing with the front 3 is that as a combination they make the perfect forward.

If we play any combinaion of 2 forwards we miss out on vital aspect for example

Martins /Owen = holding up the ball, strength, target man

Owen/ Viduka = Pace and 'directness'

Martins/Viduka = Intelligence in and out of the box

When we have all three playing we have a combination of abso;utely everything hat the strikers need.

Does any of that make sense??  ???

The thing with the front 3 is that as a combination they make the perfect forward.

When we have all three playing we have a combination of abso;utely everything hat the strikers need.

it does make sense but wouldn't it also make sense to have 2 forwards who done that and gave us an extra midfielder.

as yet it's a work in progress. keegans making the best of what he's got but i'm sure the las couple of weeks have gave him some new ideas.

it does make sense but wouldn't it also make sense to have 2 forwards who done that and gave us an extra midfielder.

as yet it's a work in progress. keegans making the best of what he's got but i'm sure the las couple of weeks have gave him some new ideas.

LWell i think that might change this summer, unless Keegan plans to utilise the 433 formation. In which case i dont see that much of a weakness in our front 3 except for Viduka, id have Ashton here to replace Viduka if he werent so injury prone.

As well as Owen has done in this role, I wonder how good we would look with a genuine midfield playmaker in there, someone like Arshavin maybe?

We can get better than Arshavin.

hopefully yes, I just don't know the world market very well for those type of players. Still an exciting prospect to think of the option though.

Guest DONTOONER

I say keep the trio attack....only downside is when a injury occurs...it wont be easy to replace them.

And to the thread starter, since newcastle ...has very little service to owen in the first place, why not use him as a support role.

Not only is he good at finding space for himself to link up play, his late runs looks more threatening of the late.

If this works...i would say KK has revive owen's game just like what bobby did for shearer.

We still need to buy quality forwards next year or maybe even just one. One or even 2 of the 3 forwards we have now could be out for a while next season and tbh if we lost one now we would probably struggle, particularly if we lost Owen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7322013.stm

The Newcastle boss reserved special praise for Owen, after he scored his third goal in as many games.

The England striker was deployed in a deeper role at White Hart Lane, playing just off Martins and Mark Viduka in his most advanced role and dropping back into midfield when Newcastle were defending.

Keegan said he had no qualms about keeping Owen in that position for the future.

"It is his position at Newcastle for the time being," he said.

"I said: 'This is the position you have to play in this football club because that is where you are most use for us,' and he said: 'That's fine'.

"He never came up to me and said: 'I'm a forward'. I think he's enjoyed it."