What's Ashley doing - lost 129Mill on the markets last week?

Tsunami

Some of you have obviously never played the spreads before. The bet isn't over until he decides to close his position, i'm guessing with him having so much money he won't have closed at such a big loss so as the share price rises again, which i believe it did today, his loss become will become less. Granted it does look unlikely he will win anything but he's not in a position where he has to cut his losses, if it was me or you who had potentially lost so much i'm guessing we would have to close at that loss because we couldn't afford for it to get any bigger, with having so much money he can't bide his time and hope it gets back up to the level he bought at.

And I doubt IG would be knocking at his door for the cash straight away with them letting him play for such big stakes in the first place. His mate Kelmsley bets there as well so sure they know they're good for the money.

i've never played but i understand the premise.....however the way you describe it he could leave it open for years till it recovers.

Guest clownhat

i work in the city and ashley is know as a 'rogue'... also know as a cock.

When he bought the club his company was worth aprox 1bln after floating, last time i looked it up it was only about half that making him have to come back down and take everything back over with some 'friends'.

So the 129Mil is a splash in the ocean of the money he has lost since he bought the club.

To be honest I was unsure when he bought the club and am now even less sure, he unfortunately is another one of the many city boys who have just recently been bitten hard by something they where too short sighted to anticipate.

When he bought the club his company was worth aprox 1bln after floating, last time i looked it up it was only about half that making him have to come back down and take everything back over with some 'friends'.

So the 129Mil is a splash in the ocean of the money he has lost since he bought the club.

To be honest I was unsure when he bought the club and am now even less sure, he unfortunately is another one of the many city boys who have just recently been bitten hard by something they where too short sighted to anticipate.

so he sold iff a large chunk of his company at an inflated price and is in the process of buying it back at knock down prices.

seems rather a clever fella to me. he's not liked for the same reason warren buffet wasn't liked. he gets it right by ignoring what others think.

Guest clownhat

no i think you'll find he never sold the stocks, he just stepped down from running the thing...

and to compare him to buffet is like comparing our current pile of shite to the current man u bastards.

So what kind of cocks are the city geniuses who overvalued his business in the first place?

no i think you'll find he never sold the stocks, he just stepped down from running the thing...

and to compare him to buffet is like comparing our current pile of shite to the current man u bastards.

What are you talking about? Ashley sold half of Sports Direct when it floated, made approx. 1bn, kept the other half (hence why he was valued in excess of 2bn through this alone). The shares are now trading at just over a 1/3 of what they floated at (108p having floated at 300p) although they did go down as low as 70-80p iirc. There have been whispers of him taking the company back private and if he were to do so he would have banked around 600 - 700m for a couple of years work. All the sniping from the city boys wouldn't mean a jot as he'd have back full control of the same company making similar profit with almost an extra billion pounds in his pocket, which i'm sure he'd be pretty chuffed with.

The reason the city hate him is because of things like the Reebok deal, where he bought a 3% (i think) holding, all the analysts came out and talked about him reviving a sleeping giant, how reebok had been undervalued and how this would be the beginning of their recovery, this caused the shares to spike and then 6 weeks down the line he flogged them and made a killing, making the analysts look like idiots in the process. It's stories like this that sports journalists read and misinterpret / manipulate into stories about him being a fly by night businessman who just wants to make a quick buck out of Newcastle. It's people like you, who perpetuate the rumour without actually clarifying any facts, who assist them. If you work in the city then you should be aware that you cannot float a company without making 25% (minimum) public domain, so how you suggest that he floated it and still owns all the stock is beyond me....

and to compare him to buffet is like comparing our current pile of s**** to the current man u bastards.

i'm speechless.

If clownhat works in the city, its serving coffee in Starbucks at Liverpool St station.

:lol:

It's hilarious when these debates on financial matters take place on here. Loads of people chip in but only about 1 or 2 people seem to have any idea what they're on about.

If clownhat works in the city, its serving coffee in Starbucks at Liverpool St station.

It's hilarious when these debates on financial matters take place on here. Loads of people chip in but only about 1 or 2 people seem to have any idea what they're on about.

bet you mean yourself and chez

Are people worried that we wont have any cash to spend because of this?

We barely spent anything in summer, we spent nowt in January.  We'll have to find a new shirt sponsor, and at some point we'll need to negatiate a new shirt deal with adidas are someone else.

I think we'll be fine.

Chez seems to know his stuff. I don't even pretend to.

Are people worried that we wont have any cash to spend because of this?

We barely spent anything in summer, we spent nowt in January.  We'll have to find a new shirt sponsor, and at some point we'll need to negatiate a new shirt deal with adidas are someone else.

I think we'll be fine.

If i was a betting man(!) I'd say Ashley will have kept the spread open and by the summer one would hope HBOS will be back up around 800 - 900p per share, which would cancel any losses. According to NOTW (if we're to believe anything they say) he's had this open since since last year so i certainly wouldn't expect him to close it down, especially after all the positive noises coming out about HBOS since they were stitched up last week. Target prices range from 800 - 1100p and, considering current market positions, that's pretty decent. Obviously we won't get an 'Ashley's paper losses cancelled out and never actually existed in the real world' story on the back pages of NOTW, but fingers crossed it'll happen.

It's always the same... The markets can do well for a year and no one mentions them, yet if they have a few bad days it's front page news everywhere. Bad news sells because it gives people something to panic / moan about, which is what they love doing. The mood in and around the industry is one of caution rather than doom and gloom, although there's still a strong feeling that there's a fair bit of shit to hit the fan yet - which will effect all businessmen (not least Liverpool's owners as a load of their junk debt is directly effected) and not just Ashley. The fact that Ashley owns a range of different companies (albeit in the same industry) and that this industry is not directly related to finance, where the real struggle is, means that he shouldn't get too badly hammered (even if he likes his spread bets).

Chez seems to know his stuff. I don't even pretend to.

madras thinks short-selling is a side business on his holidays in Majorca.

What I find funny about this whole thing is the massive deal the media have made of it.  Ashley has taken a temporary loss of £129 (temporary because the stock can recover) and its on the back page of every fucking rag in the nation.  Meanwhile the owner of Spuds makes a loss of £650 million and... not a fucking whisper (unless I missed the Mirror or Sun reporting this, which I doubt).