Kev: Signings may not be stars

Baggio

Hopefully any signings will become stars during their time here, or at least enhance their reputation.

Thats what he did before with the likes of Rob Lee, Andy Cole etc. Cant see why he cant do it again

Guest redmayne

Hope we don't get Bullard like. Canny player but not really going to take us to the next level.

Correct. He is just not good enough.

absolutely - way too slow as well - not going to get us in top 5

players like arteta are the ones we should be finding

Guest getcarter

that said, we can offer first team football and a shitload of cash that the likes of Everton and Spurs etc cannot

We should be targeting players that can take us back to 5th, we don't need stars to do that, end of. We don't want another Owen.

Robert and Bellamy came for a combined £16m, these are the type of signings Wise and Keegan should be looking at. Not world stars but players with genuine ability, pace and time on their side

Ashley will be trying to reduce the wage bill so I doubt we will see to many more players on £50k a week or more.  FFS got us into our current mess by paying stupid money, cos he knew he wouldn't have to sort it out.

Guest Knightrider

KK has mainly built his sides using a mixture of promising younger players, experienced old heads and hungry 'unknowns' or untapped potentials that can be developed and incorporated into his style and the style his teams play in. We lack a mixture of 1 and 3 really already and therefore he'll be looking at promising younger players and a few unknowns/untapped potentials that he can work with in my opinion. There will always be room for an imaginative signing (Asprilla) and someone he has worked with before (Beardsley) of course, but he won't be raiding Man City lock stock or bringing in FM type players willy nilly. One thing I am certain of, he'll do well in the transfer market and I am even more confident that he can banish past woes we've had with new players turning into shite once they've signed for us or struggling to adapt where foreign players are concerned.

that said, we can offer first team football and a shitload of cash that the likes of Everton and Spurs etc cannot

This is what gave us over-paid shit like Duff, Barton, Parker & Emre.

I'd rather we look for youngsters like Jenas again. They might cost more than their worth but they'll be on much lower wages, more to prove and can be sold on for good money.

This is what gave us over-paid shit like Duff, Barton, Parker & Emre.

I'd rather we look for youngsters like Jenas again. They might cost more than their worth but they'll be on much lower wages, more to prove and can be sold on for good money.

:banghead:

'..if needs be.' I'm assuming that means.

do you mean my post Dave ?

when do you see the likes of Liverpool having to sell their best players ?

If you don't see NUFC being capable of challenging at that level, then its really no wonder I've been bashing my head against a brick wall defending people running the club that think we should be. Thats the point of MY post [with no desire to turn this post into a boardfest, but its a logical observation all the same]

If you don't see NUFC being capable of challenging at that level, then its really no wonder I've been bashing my head against a brick wall defending people running the club that think we should be. Thats the point of MY post [with no desire to turn this post into a boardfest, but its a logical observation all the same]

Where did he say anything about selling our best players?

His example was Jenas, a player that came here but didn't live up to expectations yet was still sold on at a profit.

The point is Jenas wasn't one of our best players. But we still made good money on him when he went stale/wanted out.

I'm assuming that's all he means, not specifically getting players, making them good, then selling them off just for the money.

The point is Jenas wasn't one of our best players. But we still made good money on him when he went stale/wanted out.

I'm assuming that's all he means, not specifically getting players, making them good, then selling them off just for the money.

I think it looks precisely that, so its up to him to clarify.

I take it you agree that we should be attempting to buy players of the calibre that Liverpool do then ?

The original post is also cherry picking anyway, choosing a few players who "failed" proves nothing, paying the going rate is also what the top clubs do. If people really want the club to act 2nd rate, then they will get a 2nd rate club.

I take it you agree that we should be attempting to buy players of the calibre that Liverpool do then ?

Why the hell would anyone WANT us to sell our best players? It's just nonsense mate.

Of course we should be attempting to buy the best, but right now we simply cannot compete with the top clubs. Hence Keegan's comments in the article, which are spot on IMO.

The Jenas point is that we bought an up and coming young player with potential, for an acceptable fee. He did well for a time, but needed to be sold for a variety of reasons. We then still made a good profit on him. That's far better than the alternative.

KK has mainly built his sides using a mixture of promising younger players, experienced old heads and hungry 'unknowns' or untapped potentials that can be developed and incorporated into his style and the style his teams play in. We lack a mixture of 1 and 3 really already and therefore he'll be looking at promising younger players and a few unknowns/untapped potentials that he can work with in my opinion. There will always be room for an imaginative signing (Asprilla) and someone he has worked with before (Beardsley) of course, but he won't be raiding Man City lock stock or bringing in FM type players willy nilly. One thing I am certain of, he'll do well in the transfer market and I am even more confident that he can banish past woes we've had with new players turning into shite once they've signed for us or struggling to adapt where foreign players are concerned.

I agree, although i think Ashley will want a big name signing

I didn't mean our best players.

It's just that under Allardyce, Roeder and Souness we where signing players in their mid to late 20's.. their value diminishes istantly... when we need/want to sell them their value is rock bottom.

We had Bellamy, Dyer & Jenas for a good number of years and we sold each one for atleast what they cost and it was a number of years before Dyer & Bellamy started getting extra large pay packets.

Guest Knightrider

I agree, although i think Ashley will want a big name signing

I think KK will want one too but it will have to be the right kind of player first who KK has a place for in his team and the style he'll be aiming for. He won't sign names for the sake of it or for any other purpose than pure footballing ones.

Btw I wish you'd post your thoughts about the game etc over here NE5, and not just these issues all the time. I see you post them elsewhere and wonder why you don't like to do it on this forum.

Guest Knightrider

Oh and I wouldn't use KK's comments literally. If he wants a player, he will do his utmost to get him and won't hesitate thinking about others who may stand a better chance than us. Don't underestimate his ambitious streak or persuasivenesses. I remember when Big Sam said how he'd love to sign Heinze back in the summer but didn't believe we stood a chance so basically wrote off the very notion of going in for him. That won't be KK's mentality, in the open or privately. He'd be in there quick as a flash, bidding and doing his utmost to get his man even if the chance is remote or others are in for the player too who have more to offer than we could. After all we did try to hijack the all but done Woodgate to Spurs deal which should speak volumes about the mentality of KK when it comes to players. If he wants a player he'll go for him even if as it turned out with Woodgate, the chances are slim.

Why the hell would anyone WANT us to sell our best players? It's just nonsense mate.

Of course we should be attempting to buy the best, but right now we simply cannot compete with the top clubs. Hence Keegan's comments in the article, which are spot on IMO.

The Jenas point is that we bought an up and coming young player with potential, for an acceptable fee. He did well for a time, but needed to be sold for a variety of reasons. We then still made a good profit on him. That's far better than the alternative.

Some people HAVE expressed this view.

Point is we also have attempted to buy the best quality players possible, but the judgement of managers has been flawed more often than desirable. We also HAVE been down the road of buying young players with potential who look like they may improve ie Bramble, Ambrose, Viana, Bernard, Gavilan, Cort, Griffin, Lua Lua, Hamilton, Domi, Brady, Glass, and of course Jeanarse himself.

So why is it insinuated such a path hasn't been done before, and its going to be successful ?

The club needs immediate quality footballers, it ALWAYS does. It's no good ignoring the present, and deflecting attention from a reluctance to tackle the immediate future, and you shouldn't be taken in by it, because as I said, we HAVE been chased young players before and I've gave you recent examples that you should all be aware of.

This football club needs BIG money spent on it in the summer, and I'm talking a lot more than micky mouse clubs like Blackburn, of who we should be snapping up their best players.

Btw I wish you'd post your thoughts about the game etc over here NE5, and not just these issues all the time. I see you post them elsewhere and wonder why you don't like to do it on this forum.

if you mean on howaythetoon, feel free.

Basically Dave, I like this forum - obviously - but there are just too many threads to read them all

The original post is also cherry picking anyway, choosing a few players who "failed" proves nothing, paying the going rate is also what the top clubs do. If people really want the club to act 2nd rate, then they will get a 2nd rate club.

I meant what Dave said.

We have been paying top dollar for second rate players for a long time now. I want us to model our transfer policy more like Arsenal's or even Spurs not Liverpool who have wasted a shit-load of money for unspectacular players.

We need to spot good young talent. Once a player reaches a certain status it'll be impossible to sign him when the top 4 target them.