Owen - Time for him to shine?

Decky

And Baggio, why not judge him on his goals to games ratio?  It's not as if Newcastle have been handing him a dozen chances per match.  Let's be honest, Newcastle haven't exactly handed him a dozen chances per match in the last 8 matches (though this is improving).  

Because you judge a great goalscorer on how many goals they score, you judge a finisher on how clinical they are in front of goal and Owen has never been a clinical finisher, he's a striker with great movement and a good footballing brain which often finds him space to get chances but he misses far more than he scores.

If you're looking for players who miss loads of chances you don't need to look much futher than Rooney, Tevez, Torres, it must run into a 100 between them this season. Torres can miss 5 chances a game more often than not.

So? There's a distinction between a great striker and a great finisher. You can be a great finisher without being a great striker.

The 'finisher' is becoming a rare breed. I'd say Henry is a great finisher, as is van Nistelrooy, and of course Shearer. Owen's not at that level of finishing now even though he's showing himself to be a better all-round striker than many (including me) thought.

Edit: I take too long to type. Just read Baggio's post above.

I don't even know what you're on about.

Did you see the chances Rooney and Ronaldo 'missed' yesterday?  Are they shite?  No, they're class for getting in those positions in the first place.

we're now creating chances, he's now scoring. if we keep creating chances, he will keep scoring. i'd rather back owen in a 1-on-1 than nearly all the other strikers in the league.

its a shame he wont be appreciated till he's gone.

QFT.

Spot on, especially the last sentance.

We needed to find a way to get Owen involved in games. As an out and out goal scorer he was wasted & clearly unhappy 'cos we were shite & couldn't feed him.

The recent change in roles has reinvigorated him. Well pleased for him & us as a team.

we're now creating chances, he's now scoring. if we keep creating chances, he will keep scoring. i'd rather back owen in a 1-on-1 than nearly all the other strikers in the league.

QFT.

Most of you are just as critical of Oba, and that last sentence can be applied to him as well.

There's never any fuckin' objectivity it seems when it comes to players. People need to relax and let the players come into their own. Second season for Oba. Owen finally playing in a team that provides him with chances. Let's just see what fuckin' happens.

And Baggio, why not judge him on his goals to games ratio? It's not as if Newcastle have been handing him a dozen chances per match. Let's be honest, Newcastle haven't exactly handed him a dozen chances per match in the last 8 matches (though this is improving).

Because you judge a great goalscorer on how many goals they score, you judge a finisher on how clinical they are in front of goal and Owen has never been a clinical finisher, he's a striker with great movement and a good footballing brain which often finds him space to get chances but he misses far more than he scores.

If you're looking for players who miss loads of chances you don't need to look much futher than Rooney, Tevez, Torres, it must run into a 100 between them this season. Torres can miss 5 chances a game more often than not.

So? There's a distinction between a great striker and a great finisher. You can be a great finisher without being a great striker.

The 'finisher' is becoming a rare breed. I'd say Henry is a great finisher, as is van Nistelrooy, and of course Shearer. Owen's not at that level of finishing now even though he's showing himself to be a better all-round striker than many (including me) thought.

Did you see the chances Rooney and Ronaldo 'missed' yesterday? Are they shite? No, they're class for getting in those positions in the first place.

The discussion is about Owen's ability to finish chances, so naturally the focus is on the number of chances he misses as opposed to the number of chances that he converts.

He is class for getting into those positions and I've praised him countless of times for his movement and instincts but that's irrelevant to this debate so I don't know what you are on about. He's not one of the world's best finishers.

QFT.

I'd back Viduka 1 on 1 any day over Owen.

And Baggio, why not judge him on his goals to games ratio?  It's not as if Newcastle have been handing him a dozen chances per match.  Let's be honest, Newcastle haven't exactly handed him a dozen chances per match in the last 8 matches (though this is improving).  

Did you see the chances Rooney and Ronaldo 'missed' yesterday?  Are they shite?  No, they're class for getting in those positions in the first place.

The discussion is about Owen's ability to finish chances, so naturally the focus is on the number of chances he misses as opposed to the number of chances that he converts.

He is class for getting into those positions and I've praised him countless of times for his movement and instincts but that's irrelevant to this debate so I don't know what you are on about. He's not one of the world's best finishers.

No-one's a better finisher than this dude...

QFT.

Most of you are just as critical of Oba, and that last sentence can be applied to him as well.

There's never any fuckin' objectivity it seems when it comes to players. People need to relax and let the players come into their own. Second season for Oba. Owen finally playing in a team that provides him with chances. Let's just see what fuckin' happens.

Why are you bringing Oba up?

I meant the very last sentance about some only fully appreciating Owen when he's gone Baggio.

Our biggest worry now, is that if she really shines in the last 7 games, clubs are goign to come a-sniffing. Going to be a fight to keep him here

it'll be the same position as when he came if those in the champs lge positions don't want him. if we strengthen as we hope to i'd imagine he'd want to stop as opposed to cieth or spuds.

People who doubt him are fooking stupid.  Just look at his record for fook sake.

Injuries, shit management have not helped.  We are only now seeing what he can do.

I suggest we get right behind him.  Keeping him will save us alot of money.

People who doubt him are fooking stupid.  Just look at his record for fook sake.

Injuries, shit management have not helped.  We are only now seeing what he can do.

I suggest we get right behind him. Keeping him will save us alot of money.

Will also cost us a lot of money too.  ???

Played a captains role very well yesterday, getting involved, organising people at set pieces, etc. I think he's evolving into the role very nicely, and now he's scoring under KK I don't think it will be too hard to persuade him to say. That's based on the reasonable assumption that we want him to of course.

Played a captains role very well yesterday, getting involved, organising people at set pieces, etc. I think he's evolving into the role very nicely, and now he's scoring under KK I don't think it will be too hard to persuade him to say. That's based on the reasonable assumption that we want him to of course.

There was an hilarious moment when they had a free kick and Butt grabbed his arm and just yanked him into place.  Owen's didn't seem to mind like.

Who got the armband when he came off btw?  I didn't notice.

Guest rebel_yell12

I didn't notice either, but I read on another board it was Smith. :tickedoff:  Had hoped it might be Butt. 

On the set pieces, Butt probably had to yank him into place because I don't think Owen's had much to do on set pieces before in his career.  Playing for Liverpool he was usually hovering out on the very edges, waiting for a ball to be cleared via long ball to him, to counterattack on the fly (see the FA Cup 2001, second goal).  But this is probably what Keegan meant when he talked about needing/having multiple leaders.