Full backs next season

TRon

Whilst we will probably have a substantial amount of money to spend, i really dont see the point in wasting millions of pounds on a position that does not need strengthening compared to the rest of the team. We need to be spending big on the midfield, not the full backs.

Agreed, we've got good enough players in both defence and up front, we need players who can break up the play in front of the defence and we need players who can then take the ball forward and create openings for the forwards.

Defenders will still come in, we've only got one left back at the club and one right back unless Carr gets a new contract, we also need to replace Rozehnal if he doesn't come back, most of our attention needs to be switched to midfield though whatever formation we play, hopefully Smith will go too and be replaced with a big targetman that can compete with Viduka.

Thats a tricky one, I'd like to see Carroll given a chance as backup next year, but Viduka is so rarely fit, the back up job might involve about 20 or so games which might be too many for him

Defenders will still come in, we've only got one left back at the club and one right back unless Carr gets a new contract, we also need to replace Rozehnal if he doesn't come back, most of our attention needs to be switched to midfield though whatever formation we play, hopefully Smith will go too and be replaced with a big targetman that can compete with Viduka.

I would agree with that, I wasn't trying to suggest that we don't bring in anybody but midfielders but that's where the major improvements are needed.

I think there's a very high possibility that Keegan's list of four contains one big centre-back and one big centre-forward.

That wouldn't surprise me, especially if Taylor holds out for more money.  Taylor is our biggest weakness in defence now, he needs to start improving or he'll not become the player that I thought he would.

I think there's a very high possibility that Keegan's list of four contains one big centre-back and one big centre-forward.

I think it's likely to be a CB, LB, CM and RW for now with nobody leaving as yet, he'll obviously bring others in but I think that's what he wants to add to what we've currently got because we're either short of quality or depth in those departments at the moment, he'll then go about upgrading the players that leave in the Summer.

Carr and Ramage to not get new contracts

Rozehnal and Ameobi not to come back

Zog to leave in a huff

Duff, Smith and maybe Milner to leave for regular first team football

Wouldn't be surprised if Taylor isn't moved on if he can't agree a new contract either.

I think it's likely to be a CB, LB, CM and RW for now with nobody leaving as yet, he'll obviously bring others in but I think that's what he wants to add to what we've currently got because we're either short of quality or depth in those departments at the moment, he'll then go about upgrading the players that leave in the Summer.

Zog to leave in a huff

Wouldn't be surprised if Taylor isn't moved on if he can't agree a new contract either.

I think we need at least 2 central midfielders, a destroyer and a creator.

Zog to leave in a huff

I think we need at least 2 central midfielders, a destroyer and a creator.

Aye, ideally. It's frustrating as fuck how our left-wing should be just set, with Zoggy. With the midfield needing a complete overhaul, the N'Zogbia situation really is a bastard. We desperately need a right-winger and atleast one centre-mid, having to get a left-winger aswell is simply annoying.

thats your opinion. I think that forwards win games, this has been proven. As I pointed out, we bought 3 defenders last summer who are all now first choice and we have still struggled.

I bet you that if we had bought 3 forwards we would have done a damn sight better, but a. they would have cost more money and I realise you will not say anything that puts the old board in a favourable light and b. you are only saying what you say because you foolishly believe that we can be successful on the cheap, thus also condemning the fact that so far the old board have showed far more ambition than the new board but again you can't bring yourself to admit it.

Sad.

The top football teams have the talented forward players to control games and win games. They don't have the best defenders with s*** players in front of them that cause them to defend like the Battle of the Alamo. But again, I don't expect you to do anything else than spin things to say the old board were the worstest there has even been.

The only short sighted person around here is you, because you put personalities before cold hard judgements, which is why you simply can't bring yourself to admit the old board gave us a very good 15 years, the best of the last 50 years in fact.

PS I also reckon you should let Buzza answer for himself. You seem to have a habit of butting into my debates with other people, that is, if you want to see and end to me showing you are wrong, and spout total rubbish too, to be honest.

Of course forwards win games, all 11 players in the team are capable of winning games if you have the right players.  We did buy 3 defenders and you're right that we've struggled, we've struggled as a team though, not just at the back or just up front, we've struggled in most positions.

As for your comment "that if we had bought 3 forwards we would have done a damn sight better," laughable, we didn't give the forwards the service that they needed to do any better, we've done that over the last couple of games and they look like the quality of player most thought that they were.  It doesn't matter who you have up front, if you don't give them chances they're not going to score many goals.  We have good forwards who need something to work with, something they've been without for most of the season.

My comments had nothing to do with the new or old board, you're obsessed, you've got some ship on your shoulders.  Well done though, you did manage 2 out of 5 paragraphs which didn't mention the board on a totally unrelated subject.

Forward players don't usually control games, that's normally done by the midfield  who protect the defence and then play the ball to the forwards to finish off the move, forwards rarely control games.

PS The purpose of a forum is to debate, you might not have noticed but somebody starts a thread then people respond.   :lol:

Except that some people debate sensibly, and others don't have concrete judgements and apply personalities instead.

Having called the current situation exactly right last summer, supported this club for 44 years, and can apply the logical common sense that the last 15 years has been the best years supporting the club during all of these 44 years and beyond, without engaging personalities in an attempt to change factual information, you don't need to patronise me about the merits of the relative roles of defenders and attackers.

I bet you that if we had bought 3 good attacking players last summer instead of 3 defenders, we would have done a lot better. Considering we haven't done any better having bought 3 defenders, and you are still disputing this, beggars belief.

I don't understand what point you are trying to prove - other than defending Ashley and Morts transfer policy rather than give credit to the previous regime for conducting a better one in most other years - but then again, I don't understand most of what you say, as it has no factual base. So I don't really care.

Except that some people debate sensibly, and others don't have concrete judgements and apply personalities instead.

Having called the current situation exactly right last summer, supported this club for 44 years, and can apply the logical common sense that the last 15 years has been the best years supporting the club during all of these 44 years and beyond, without engaging personalities in an attempt to change factual information, you don't need to patronise me about the merits of the relative roles of defenders and attackers.

I bet you that if we had bought 3 good attacking players last summer instead of 3 defenders, we would have done a lot better. Considering we haven't done any better having bought 3 defenders, and you are still disputing this, beggars belief.

I don't understand what point you are trying to prove - other than defending Ashley and Morts transfer policy rather than give credit to the previous regime for conducting a better one in most other years - but then again, I don't understand most of what you say, as it has no factual base. So I don't really care.

:hijack: :suicide:

beye and Enrique are our best signings imo and have improved a lot this season.

Don't think we should replace Beye for a couple of seasons but sign someone as backup

no, it isn't hijacked at all. It was doing fine until you piped up when I said 3 forwards would have improved the team more than 3 defenders, probably because it is me that  said it.

The fact that it is actually nailed on, and proven completely correct in view of the season we have had, doesn't seem to register with you. Like most facts don't. You are again showing that where personalities are concerned, you have no logic.

This was also being discussed much earlier in the season when I said we should have got someone like David Bentley, and you said "who is he and who is talking about David Bentley" such is your stance ref personalities and "hijacking threads".

Someone can now put the thread back on track.

no, it isn't hijacked at all. It was doing fine until you piped up when I said 3 forwards would have improved the team more than 3 defenders, probably because it is me that  said it.

The fact that it is actually nailed on, and proven completely correct in view of the season we have had, doesn't seem to register with you. Like most facts don't. You are again showing that where personalities are concerned, you have no logic.

This was also being discussed much earlier in the season when I said we should have got someone like David Bentley, and you said "who is he and who is talking about David Bentley" such is your stance ref personalities and "hijacking threads".

We bought 2 forwards, and Owen is having an extended run in the team.

If we hadn't bought Enrique, Beye and Faye, who exactly would be playing at the back?

It's GOOD midfielders we're missing, not strikers or defenders.

By the way, what do you mean by "Having called the current situation exactly right last summer"? I can't remember you predicting that Allardyce (the man YOU wanted) would be sacked and replaced with Keegan (another man YOU wanted). Do you mean you predicted we'd be shit this year, because I remember you saying quite the opposite.

The hijacking was to do with your bored comments, the thread is about Full backs next season.  :lol:

How would 3 forwards have improved the team if they were getting the poor service that our current forwards have been getting? 

And as has been said, who would we play in defence if we hadn't brought in Beye, Enrique, Faye, Rozenhal and Cacapa?  You seem to forget that we got rid of Onyewu who was only here on loan, Bernard has gone along with Babayaro, two players who were never fit and we've got Carr who is rarely fit enough to play, add Bramble and Moore to the list of those we had but have gone.

Do you really think that we didn't need to bring in defenders?

We needed defenders and we brought them in, we lost Sibierski and replaced him with Viduka, a better player but one who isn't playing enough games because he can't seem to get fit enough, we also brought in Smith, a player who you rate but one who has proven to be totally shite but at least numerically we increased what we had up front.

We lost Nobby, Parker and Dyer, we only brought in one player who has struggled until recently and Geremi, a player who has probably had his better years behind him.

I struggle to see how you can make the kind of statements that you’re making and you’ve been saying the same stuff for the best part of 2 seasons.

Have you got a link to where I made that comment about Bentley?

Guest Flair

IMO our fullbacks are decent.  Geremi and Duff as back ups are pretty ok aswell.

LB- 1) Enrique 2) Duff

RB- 1) Beye 2) Geremi

However, our CB's and Midfield needs to be sorted out. I think 2 or 3 midfielders, with a couple of CB's will be good and should see us competing for the top 6.

I have to agree with Ne5, we spent far too much time in the summer worrying about our defence and not who was in front of them.

If we signed one or two extra attacking options we wouldn't have had half the problems because we could have dropped Smith for someone who can get goals. Our past semi-successfull teams have done well in the league with mediocre defences. It's been clear as day that our problems this season have been in the centre of the park.

One positive to take is that we can at least concentrate on that this summer knowing that we have a decent few defenders behind whoever comes in. For me the priority reads like this;

AM

DM

RM

FW

CB

I have to agree with Ne5, we spent far too much time in the summer worrying about our defence and not who was in front of them.

If we signed one or two extra attacking options we wouldn't have had half the problems because we could have dropped Smith for someone who can get goals. Our past semi-successfull teams have done well in the league with mediocre defences. It's been clear as day that our problems this season have been in the centre of the park.

One positive to take is that we can at least concentrate on that this summer knowing that we have a decent few defenders behind whoever comes in. For me the priority reads like this;

AM

DM

RM

FW

CB

You've agreed with NE5 who wants forwards then asked for 3 midfielders, a defender and 1 forward.

Guest toonlass

beye and Enrique are our best signings imo and have improved a lot this season.

Don't think we should replace Beye for a couple of seasons but sign someone as backup

:clap:

We *needed* defenders and we got some.

Where we fucked up was the attacking options we also bought (Smith, Barton, Viduka) and the ones we already had (Owen, Emre, Zoggy) failed badly in general, not least because we've been mostly ignoring them in play.

AM

DM

RM

FW

CB

You've agreed with NE5 who wants forwards then asked for 3 midfielders, a defender and 1 forward.

I thought he ment attacking players. i.e midfielders and strikers.

Guest float one in

I still think, for all Allardyce's flaws, he might still be in a job if Barton hadn't got injured in pre-season and then (to a lesser extent) got into that MacDonalds incident.

He spent 6m on him and in my opinion was his major signing of the summer. He expected Barton to be the main player in this team, driving us forward. He expected him to be giving the forwards consistently good service and helping us to keep the ball in midfield, thereby allowing Butt to do a better job of protecting the back four. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for Sam, as he didn't make a decent fist of it on a number of other fronts, but Barton's injury was a gutter.