Regardless I would still replace Butt and Geremi.

Parky

They're very useful squad players I reckon.

I'd buy a young DM to groom to replace Butt, and indeed compete with him for that spot next year. Now that we're actually creating stuff going forward, we're seeing that Nicky Butt is actually a good player at the end of the day when he can just do HIS job. Namely protecting the back 4.

Geremi is a great squad option, can play anywhere in midfield and back up Beye at RB as well.

If we're going for 4-3-3 long term, I'd expect Keegan will look to bring in another box-to-box type like Barton to play the left side role of the 3-man midfield. N'Zogbia would be ideal for it if we can convince him to stay.

I agree, two-men midfields rarely work.

There is a danger with a strong finish to the season Butt will continue in the core DM role. IMO we can do a lot better than him when money is available.

They're very useful squad players I reckon.

I'd buy a young DM to groom to replace Butt, and indeed compete with him for that spot next year. Now that we're actually creating stuff going forward, we're seeing that Nicky Butt is actually a good player at the end of the day when he can just do HIS job. Namely protecting the back 4.

Geremi is a great squad option, can play anywhere in midfield and back up Beye at RB as well.

If we're going for 4-3-3 long term, I'd expect Keegan will look to bring in another box-to-box type like Barton to play the left side role of the 3-man midfield. N'Zogbia would be ideal for it if we can convince him to stay.

i wonder if keegan will look at positioning like that ? ie defensive midfielders etc.

under keegan nicky butt has got forward a fair bit and geremi and barton both make the edge of the box regularly. keegan is more likely to want rob lee/gary speed style players who do both and read the game well rather than an out-and-out defensive midfielder.

i agree with what was said earlier.

with money, we can obviously get better than nicky butt. but what i truly loved, was watching butt do what he does best. if we can get more quality next to him, you won't see him making all of the hollywood style long balls or odd passes as he has been doing.

butt is an excellent reader of the game, you could just see that against spurs. his old legs are catching up to him, but nobody out there can say he wasn't one of, if not the most, influential player we had out against the spurs when you look at his goal, his tackling, his protection of the back four.

If we sign a Makalele type of player, I would be over the moon, but right now, with the right mix im very happy.

Guest icemanblue

To be fair, I believe Butt has earned a place in the team next season, even if that is only as a squad player.  A great leader, and a great role model (passing excluded) for any younger DM's we bring in.

To ship him out would be ridiculous.

Ive realised that many people slate Geremi, when tbh he has been on the top of his game playing really well in the past 3 or 4 matches, i think if he keeps it up he could still play for us next season, keegan has got the best out of him.

Nicky Butt - been a great player for us, but i agree he should be replaced next season, we need a younger defensive midfielder (or play faye there and buy a new centre half).

I cant wait for the summer now though, just to see who keegan gets rid of/who he signs

Both players lack the legs to compete at the highest level and that's not taking anything away from how well they have done last few games. We need players to be able to go 4-4-2 as well, and I think that's where they will struggle.

A young DM is a priority for me, Butt has been great, but he has a year left at the top at most.

Your right about the young DM, we need our 'Anderson' type of player.

I agree with Parky though, and I think we should get rid of Butt in the summer.

Had a great game yesterday but hes way over the top. Barton can stay  :coolsmiley:

If only we'd picked up Diarra. He could play either of the positions Butt and Geremi occupied yesterday very effectively imo.

He's the kind of step up I'm thinking of..Clearly better than Butt especially distribution.

If only we'd picked up Diarra. He could play either of the positions Butt and Geremi occupied yesterday very effectively imo.

He's the kind of step up I'm thinking of..Clearly better than Butt especially distribution.

Bouba Diop and Muntari would also do well for us, Pompey seem to have an abundance of midfielders that could fill the areas we need filling most desperately. Don't think they've got enough variation as a team, but there's a lot of strength, pace and power in their midfield which we seem to be lacking at the moment.

You've just reminded me how badly I want us to shaft Harry Redknapp. Lord, make it come to pass  :angel:

I agree that we should look to replace them both but would retain their skills for another season or two for the sake of the sqaud.  But look at Everton, doing fine with Carsley in midfield.

Both Geremi and Butt are better players than that cunt.

I can see Barton eventually replacing Geremi in that role if we continue with it and getting a naturally left sided player for Barton's position. If we had a top, top notch DM then I would like to see N'Zogbia given a chance on the left side of the midfield three.

One thing that gets overlooked with KK is that he is an excellent judge of when a player needs replacing. He will know when the time is right to do that, he can be pretty ruthless about it too, examples: Kelly, Bracewell, Killer, Sheedy, Venison and of course Andy Cole.

The only thing I hope is that KK is not overly influenced by what we fans say and continues to do what he think is right as his judgement is way better than any of ours.

One thing that gets overlooked with KK is that he is an excellent judge of when a player needs replacing. He will know when the time is right to do that, he can be pretty ruthless about it too, examples: Kelly, Bracewell, Killer, Sheedy, Venison and of course Andy Cole.

The only thing I hope is that KK is not overly influenced by what we fans say and continues to do what he think is right as his judgement is way better than any of ours.

Nah, he'll know what he wants to do.  I dont think he would be swayed by some of the loons that follow NUFC.

No chance, but Carrick would be an ideal signing if we're going with 4-3-3. So would Berbatov to play in Vidukas role.

Kaka could play in Owen's position.