Joey Barton gets six months in jail - See page 4

morgs
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I reckon a lot of people would have a different opinion had he scored 15 or so goals for us this season.

If he had it would be understandable. He's not Maradonna though so if he wants to put his mediocre career in jepoardy why should anyone else wring their hands over it?

I reckon a lot of people would have a different opinion had he scored 15 or so goals for us this season.

If he had it would be understandable. He's not Maradonna though so if he wants to put his mediocre career in jepoardy why should anyone else wring their hands over it?

Seriously?  You think that its OK for people to vary their opinion on what we should do about it based on how he's been playing?

agree, not worth the hassle. his performances on the pitch are pretty average and imo i'd like to see him replaced anyway. was pretty shocked at the details of this particular case tho, has just assumed it was a little scuffle after being provoked, but he's clearly a nutter.

Guest neesy111

do people think he WAS playing well, or just playing better than he was under allardyce, which is understandable

i think the latter is correct with everyone in the squad

do people think he WAS playing well, or just playing better than he was under allardyce, which is understandable

i think the latter is correct with everyone in the squad

He hasn't been brilliant, I think he's just benefited from getting match fit more than anything

Can see what tmonkey is saying to an extent.

He's not world class or anything, but he's by far the best of our CM's and one of those that can drive a team forward when he's playing well.

People assume that if we kept him, we'd make a bed reputation for ourselves by having a convict on the playing squad or whatever.

Look at it the other way.

If we dump him, we're giving up. Again playing into the media's hands who say we are an unforgiving bunch who, when the going gets tough, someone gets sacked. It's stupid.

So f*** if we get criticised for not cancelling his contract, when he comes out and we bring him back into the squad and help to put his feet back on the ground, we have the potential to have everyone laughing on the other side of their face.

Give the lad a chance. He comes out, he works hard. If he doesn't, he's gone.

Guest neesy111

He's not world class or anything, but he's by far the best of our CM's and one of those that can drive a team forward when he's playing well.

there all not good enough

2 goals our top scorer from midfield, pathetic tbh

His performances should be irrelevant to the decision on whether to sack him or not for getting locked up.

Guest neesy111

His performances should be irrelevant to the decision on whether to sack him or not for getting locked up.

it's the manner of him going, violently beating up someone, if he did tht 2 u, would u want him at the club?

Seriously?  You think that its OK for people to vary their opinion on what we should do about it based on how he's been playing?

I'm saying if he was a a brilliant player as well as a horrible bastard at least you'd have some reason for wanting to defend him.

End of the day, he's a fucking criminal (convicted of one crime and probably will be convicted of another).

All this stuff about helping him through it is fine except that he's been in this situation so many times before in the past and every time you hear him say 'it's over, I'm a changed man', he gets himself in some dodgy shit a few months after.

I agree that performances shouldn't have an influence on whether we decide to sack him or not but it blatantly will, and still, if you evaluate his performances so far, they're not up to scratch for a £6m player.

If we sack him, can we claim insurance? Is it possible that we had our arses covered in case a situation such as this became reality?

For me, he's got to go because he's just an utter nutcase who needs help rather than time in jail. And we're not a charity, we're a football club.

It's a tough question.

When Newcastle bought him they knew that Dabo incident was being investigated so you would assume a clause regarding the outcome of that would be in the contract.

As for the McDonald's fight, it sounds like he committed a vicious attack but we don't know what provocation there was.

Cancelling his contract would mean Newcastle lose a player they spent £5.3 million on but we'd save money on wages. He won't be worth much if anything after he gets out of prison so it's not like we could sell him. The option really is cancel his contract or wait until he is out of prison then play him.

A lot will depend on how the Dabo court case goes. If he's found guilty of that God knows what sentence he'll get.

You can guarantee that all the media will demand that we 'sack' him.

Thanks to Sam Allardyce for buying him when everyone knew he was trouble. I don't understand why he cost £5.3 million anyway. Did we have any competition for him?

Guest neesy111

I'm saying if he was a a brilliant player as well as a horrible b****** at least you'd have some reason for wanting to defend him.

thts why bellamy got the benefit of the doubt, most of the time

Guest neesy111

It's a tough question.

When Newcastle bought him they knew that Dabo incident was being investigated so you would assume a clause regarding the outcome of that would be in the contract.

As for the McDonald's fight, it sounds like he committed a vicious attack but we don't know what provocation there was.

Cancelling his contract would mean Newcastle lose a player they spent £5.3 million on but we'd save money on wages. He won't be worth much if anything after he gets out of prison so it's not like we could sell him. The option really is cancel his contract or wait until he is out of prison then play him.

A lot will depend on how the Dabo court case goes. If he's found guilty of that God knows what sentence he'll get.

Thanks to Sam Allardyce for buying him when everyone knew he was trouble. I don't understand why he cost £5.3 million anyway. Did we have any competition for him?

remember he went in the huff after allardyce dropped him and was drinking at a time he was banned by the club and throw in the fact, the way he criticised us remember we're "viscious" fans afta booing our team off etc

i'll not have different opinion... because 6 month is very vital for football club.. we lose him for 6 month... what well do? buy new player? with at least same quality? would have much expenses and also when he get out what we'll do with him and the new player. if new one is good... then barton will be back up that will sucked weekly wage. if new one is bad.. we'll waste weekly wage on the new one...

i don't see anything good about keeping him although sacked not good either.. so he is the worst signing ever

Guest Knightrider

Part of me feels we have to and should stick by him, after all we knew full well just what type of person we signed when we bought him and were obviously prepared to take a gamble on him which with a character like his, you will invariably run the risk of his off-field problems rearing their ugly head from time time. We made a commitment to that and should accept that. Furthermore I think doing so could well send out a positive signal to everyone that should you hit hard times here at Newcastle, whatever it may be, whether on the pitch or off it, NUFC will not turn its back but will help you. As a football club who have invested a lot of money in the player it's our duty in many ways to protect that player and to help that player even if what he has done, crosses the boundaries of what is acceptable or not which he clearly has done.

On the other hand, sack the cunt. That would be the option I'd personally take and would like to see happen as the message could be even stronger in that NUFC will not tolerate anything out of order, by which should see some long overdue standards being instilled back into the club.

Whatever does happen, I'll back the club 100% mind.

It's a lose lose situation for Newcastle. Cancel his contract and we've lost £5.3 million (although he is probably worthless now as no other club would buy him) or keep him and get a load of bad press.

That's true and I would like to think that after his contract was cancelled nobody would touch him with a barge pole.

Unfortunately, football teams have no solidarity on driving scum / cheats / free loaders out of the game and once he was released there would be a few teams ready to pick him up for nowt - like Adrian Mutu when Chelsea had to chase through the courts to get compensation when he finished his lengthy ban for recreational substance abuse from whichever team picked him up (Juventus?).

Part of me feels we have to and should stick by him, after all we knew full well just what type of person we signed when we bought him and were obviously prepared to take a gamble on him which with a character like his, you will invariably run the risk of his off-field problems rearing their ugly head from time time. We made a commitment to that and should accept that. Furthermore I think doing so could well send out a positive signal to everyone that should you hit hard times here at Newcastle, whatever it may be, whether on the pitch or off it, NUFC will not turn its back but will help you. As a football club who have invested a lot of money in the player it's our duty in many ways to protect that player and to help that player even if what he has done, crosses the boundaries of what is acceptable or not which he clearly has done.

On the other hand, sack the cunt. That would be the option I'd personally take and would like to see happen as the message could be even stronger in that NUFC will not tolerate anything out of order, by which should see some long overdue standards being instilled back into the club.

I am pretty certain that when we signed him we would have made it clear that we expected him to make a fresh start and put his putrid history behind him. If he has ignored this chance and carried on recklessly behaving like a boozing charv thug I think our obligations are pretty much at an end.

On the other hand, sack the c***. That would be the option I'd personally take and would like to see happen as the message could be even stronger in that NUFC will not tolerate anything out of order, by which should see some long overdue standards being instilled back into the club.

I am pretty certain that when we signed him we would have made it clear that we expected him to make a fresh start and put his putrid history behind him. If he has ignored this chance and carried on recklessly behaving like a boozing charv thug I think our obligations are pretty much at an end.

Agreed he has to go

It's a tough question.

remember he went in the huff after allardyce dropped him and was drinking at a time he was banned by the club and throw in the fact, the way he criticised us remember we're "viscious" fans afta booing our team off etc

Most of that is speculation & there was nothing inaccurate in the stuff about the fans at the time, however ill-advised he was to say it.