Something to Be Proud Of

Guest ObaStar

Guest ObaStar

Even with the torrid season that we have had we have the 3rd highest attendance record in the Premier League behind Arsenal and Man U.  :clap:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance?league=eng.1&cc=5901

I think that we could expand the stadium more and get better numbers. It is fantastic in terms of fan support though. There is not a chance in hell those sorts of numbers would be showing up to a relgation challenged Chelsea or Liverpool

Even with the torrid season that we have had we have the 3rd highest attendance record in the Premier League behind Arsenal and Man U.  :clap:

I think that we could expand the stadium more and get better numbers. It is fantastic in terms of fan support though. There is not a chance in hell those sorts of numbers would be showing up to a relgation challenged Chelsea or Liverpool

Arsenal and Man U both take in £3m every match day. That is the figure we must try to surpass.

Arsenal and Man U both take in £3m every match day. That is the figure we must try to surpass.

They charge nearly £100 for some seats, I cannot see that going down well in toon.

I cannot think of another team that would be so well supported through a very poor season, I think the whole league knows that.

On the wind up again Crumpy? Man Utd have an extra 25k seats man

how many of that 52,000 would have turned up had they not already paid (ie season tickets) ?

how many of that 52,000 would have renewed next season had allardyce still been in charge ?

yeah, we need more corporate boxes in the ground

how many of that 52,000 would have turned up had they not already paid (ie season tickets) ?

how many of that 52,000 would have renewed next season had allardyce still been in charge ?

A similar line of questioning could be asked every year of recent though, with Roeder / Souness, yet we've still managed to keep the attendances where they are. Admittedly, a lot of this has come through renewed optimism through changes being made at 'strategic' times, but it irritates me that every season people come up with the same negative comment - we've had fuck all to cheer since Bobby (with the exception of a few QF / SF appearances) and yet we can count the home league games we've dropped below the 50,000 mark on one hand. I think that's pretty amazing.

But the people did buy them so it's irrelevent.

But the people did buy them so it's irrelevent.

Exactly.  It's like saying "We wouldn't have so many supporters if we didn't have so many supporters".

And this is why we are still a bigger draw than the likes of Villa and Everton.

It's not just a couple of seasons of mediocritiy, it's 40 years of unfulfilled potential, this is what is quite amazing about our club.

It's not just a couple of seasons of mediocritiy, it's 40 years of unfulfilled potential, this is what is quite amazing about our club.

We have a bigger stadium?

Pretty sure Villa and Everton sell out every week.

They don't sell out now with a smaller stadium !!!

In terms of % of sold available seats we are only 10th out of the 20 sides in the Premier League with a percentage of 95.7.

In recent times we have been right up there at the top with 98 or 99 percent until the last two years.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3093/86574771je1.jpg

In terms of % of sold available seats we are only 10th out of the 20 sides in the Premier League with a percentage of 95.7.

In recent times we have been right up there at the top with 98 or 99 percent until the last two years.

Still above Everton and Vila ;)

Joking aside, this doesn't tell the full story as we are always hampered with geography. The away support rarely fills up their allocation and a lot of that is down to how bloody far away Newcastle is for most other clubs.

It's also way eaiser to sell out smaller grounds such as Derby's and portsmouth than it is for the bigger ones. Especially if your team is doing poorly. As much as we deride though that table does show that Spurs do pretty well. I think them, Portsmouth and probably Liverpool would significantly improve their attendance with larger stadiums.

Still above Everton and Vila ;)

Joking aside, this doesn't tell the full story as we are always hampered with geography. The away support rarely fills up their allocation and a lot of that is down to how bloody far away Newcastle is for most other clubs.

It's also way eaiser to sell out smaller grounds such as Derby's and portsmouth than it is for the bigger ones. Especially if your team is doing poorly. As much as we deride though that table does show that Spurs do pretty well. I think them, Portsmouth and probably Liverpool would significantly improve their attendance with larger stadiums.

Strange how Readings highest attendance is higher than there capacity though!

Guest Brummiemag

Villas crowds have been surprisingly good this season by their own poor standards, Everton had a crowd of only 34,000 the other week for a league game, very poor considering their pushing for a Champions League place. I don't think any other club in England would get our level of support if they had been as as unsuccessful as us in the last 40 years and that includes Man U.

Guest fraser

What nonsense!

This table is as much to do with stadium architecture as anything. We had our highest home attendance of the season against Fulham because they took so few tickets, for goodness sake!

God! Boys and statistics....

Guest ObaStar

That table is wrong. The link I provided has our average as 51,144 not 50,000 people. And as I have no idea where u got that table from I am more inclined to believe mine. Plus the fact that this table has Reading with more people in their stadium than is possible. With the right numbers we have a 97.6 Percentage which puts 5th behind Chelsea

That table is wrong. The link I provided has our average as 51,144 not 50,000 people. And as I have no idea where u got that table from I am more inclined to believe mine. Plus the fact that this table has Reading with more people in their stadium than is possible. With the right numbers we have a 97.6 Percentage which puts 5th behind Chelsea

It is from ITV.