Deco & if not him then it is Joao Moutinho

Thespence

who cares how much money we spend if it makes the team better. Ashley is the third richest owner in the Premier League. he has cash to spend. The way we should look at it is: is this guy gonna make us better if yes then you pay watever you have to pay to get him. That being said the 15 million has been made up by the journalist its just some number they picked out of thin air.

Yeah, I was about to say something similar. Who cares about the money? He's a class act. If Keegan wants the player and Ashley is willing to stump up and this doesn't have a negative impact on our ability to buy/keep other players, then why not? I'd love to see Deco in a black and white shirt.

I tink its important to be business smart, not in the penny pinching sense but the overpaying for players that arent 100% worth overpaying, to me, Deco is an excellent player no doubt but i dont think he warrants that sort of silly money. This businnes needs to be run on a sustainable level, we have no debt now and that is excellent but the club has been geared toward having a sustainable long term future and pissing money up the wall on players with definite shelf life isnt what id call sustainable. I can see the merit in signing someone who is unquestionably worth the money.

Kev and Terry Mac were at the Rangers - Sporting game.

Would rather it was the other way round, Moutinho as the main target, Deco as back up.

They were apparently watching the keeper Rui Patricio, and defensive midfielder Miguel Veloso.

Guest battyleespeed

Would love to see Keegan splash the money. Who gives the f*** if he overpays a little to get a household name that will signal our intentions to everyone. It will inspire players of similar stature to sign up for us and who knows what kind of other attacking players we can recruit once they know they will get to play with likes of Deco and Owen. Ashley's got the funds and KK has always been good at buying. 30 isn't that old if they still have the hunger to play and not crippled by old injuries and you are almost guaranteed that they will produce quickly because of their experience. Ginola and Ferdinand were around 29 when KK brought them in.

who cares how much money we spend if it makes the team better. Ashley is the third richest owner in the Premier League. he has cash to spend. The way we should look at it is: is this guy gonna make us better if yes then you pay watever you have to pay to get him. That being said the 15 million has been made up by the journalist its just some number they picked out of thin air.

Yeah, I was about to say something similar. Who cares about the money? He's a class act. If Keegan wants the player and Ashley is willing to stump up and this doesn't have a negative impact on our ability to buy/keep other players, then why not? I'd love to see Deco in a black and white shirt.

I tink its important to be business smart, not in the penny pinching sense but the overpaying for players that arent 100% worth overpaying, to me, Deco is an excellent player no doubt but i dont think he warrants that sort of silly money. This businnes needs to be run on a sustainable level, we have no debt now and that is excellent but the club has been geared toward having a sustainable long term future and pissing money up the wall on players with definite shelf life isnt what id call sustainable. I can see the merit in signing someone who is unquestionably worth the money.

One thing to remember if we're talking business is it's not just about the outlay, you have to take what the player would bring in in terms of income. If Deco shifts a shit-load of shirts and more importantly gets us playing regular European football then £15m will be quickly recouped. That's why a team like LA Galaxy can take the "risk" on shelling out an obscene amount of money of someone like Beckham, he's guaranteed to actually earn them money, a lot of money, in fact he's probably paid for himself already, they may have even turned a profit on him by now. Deco's not in the same league as Beckham in terms of income generation, but you can't dismiss the fact that he'd be likely to bring in a decent wedge for the club.

£15m is really not too much for someone who is proven and will transform the side. He'll easily be the difference between us and other teams like Villa, Everton and Spurs because he's better than anything they've got. I've said it already but I'll say it again, he can start for any team in the Premiership right now. And 30 isn't that old for a player like him who'll still have 3-5 years left in him.

And, you can never really overpay for quality. And he's absolute quality.

But anyway, if we're looking at a new RW, I'd rather not overpay for Bentley (because he's English) and go for someone like Jesus Navas who's already up there in terms of effectiveness and actually has potential to become quite a bit better. I've heard about his homesickness and all that, but if you never shoot, you never score, right?

If we want to be better than other teams we'll have to get players that are better than what they've got. I'm not sure Bentley is that player (better than Arteta? better than Ashley Young?). Even though he might develop into one, why not buy someone who'll instantly push us up there? It's not like waiting will help. Every team will be spending money in the summer; the top 4 will be trying to separate themselves further and the next group will be trying to improve as well. Signing someone like Deco will mean we have a player who's on par with the players that the top 4 have got. That's worth spending £15m for. Top class players costs top dollars. We need to spend serious money if we're looking to challenge the top 4 in a few seasons.

Indi's also mentioned the other effects of signing a world-class player like him such as the merchandising and I'd say many foreign players will take note of us right away, which will obviously help.

I think people seriously underestimate how awesome he is and underestimate the difference between 'good' (which the likes of Bentley are) and 'great'.

£15m is really not too much for someone who is proven and will transform the side. He'll easily be the difference between us and other teams like Villa, Everton and Spurs because he's better than anything they've got. I've said it already but I'll say it again, he can start for any team in the Premiership right now. And 30 isn't that old for a player like him who'll still have 3-5 years left in him.

But anyway, if we're looking at a new RW, I'd rather not overpay for Bentley (because he's English) and go for someone like Jesus Navas who's already up there in terms of effectiveness and actually has potential to become quite a bit better. I've heard about his homesickness and all that, but if you never shoot, you never score, right?

Navas isn't just homesick, he's pathologically unable to venture further than a certain distance from Seville, and literally goes completely nuts if he's forced to do so. I really don't think it's a good idea.

The difference between Bentley and somebody doing the business in Italy and Spain is that Bentley has already proved that he can work in the Premiership. There are simply no gaurantees whether any player, no matter how good, will be able to adapt to a completely new league, unless you're talking about Ronaldinho quality. (Even then... cf. Schevchenko)

As it stands, yes, Bentley will probably cost 2 to 3 times the price of a Spaniard of similar skill level. And that's because there's a very good reason for that.

If we sign Deco we're going back to signing players on the down who want one last pay day.

Parker (Chelsea)

Emre (Inter)

Duff (Chelsea)

Butt (Man Utd)

Martins (Inter)

Owen (Real Madrid)

Smith (Man Utd)

Although not all of those have been bad signings there is a pattern, no? All the clubs they've signed from are bigger than us. We want players who are looking at Newcastle as a step-up not a step-down.

Can hardly call signing a 21 year old as one last pay day, the others you're probably right thought

Pilko, you're on f****** smack.

i hope he is, if not he should be in Prudhoe Hall

Headers?

Deflections off of your arse?

One thing to remember if we're talking business is it's not just about the outlay, you have to take what the player would bring in in terms of income. If Deco shifts a s***-load of shirts and more importantly gets us playing regular European football then £15m will be quickly recouped. That's why a team like LA Galaxy can take the "risk" on shelling out an obscene amount of money of someone like Beckham, he's guaranteed to actually earn them money, a lot of money, in fact he's probably paid for himself already, they may have even turned a profit on him by now. Deco's not in the same league as Beckham in terms of income generation, but you can't dismiss the fact that he'd be likely to bring in a decent wedge for the club.

Good point!

Not sure why people are saying 15m is that much in today's market? A good right back costs 9m(Hutton) and that's coming from the Scottish league... Carrick was what, 18m? He hard hardly proved himself to be world class before he joined Manu. Deco would be worth around 15m in todays crazy money terms. No doubt.

Guest float one in

Well I've heard that Deco has said no unless we sign some big name players first.

If there's any truth in that it would be good news. It'd show that he wanted to come for the football and wouldn't come to play in a poor team. Think about Luque saying a few weeks back that when he signed for Newcastle he'd never heard of any of our players - in hindsight he didn't sign for the right reasons, and what a disaster he turned out to be.

If Deco wants to come here because he wants to play some good football for a competitive team in the Premier League (and Keegan will suss him if he's just after a pay day, make no mistake), then he'd be brilliant provided we can fit him into some system. I always wanted Rui Costa to come here cos he's one of my all time favoruite players to watch... well that never happened but Deco would be almost as good. Elano was very good for Man City early in the season, and really had them motoring... well, Deco is a step up in class from him so it would be a tasty prospect. I don't think 15 mil would be excessive as long as Kev is certain he's coming for the right reasons and isn't going to do a Luque.

Not sure why people are saying 15m is that much in today's market? A good right back costs 9m(Hutton) and that's coming from the Scottish league... Carrick was what, 18m? He hard hardly proved himself to be world class before he joined Manu. Deco would be worth around 15m in todays crazy money terms. No doubt.

I think the issue is paying 15m for a player who will be 31 in a couple months time. If he was 25 or even a bit older, I`m sure 99% of people would have the opposite view

Guest shaun11177

15m is too much-10m is a fair figure-pretty sure Barca would accept that but i dont believe we have the status at the moment to get such a player.

On the other hand Keita of Sevilla is just the type of player we should be aiming for. 

When Chelsea bought Zola he was 30 and look what he did for them.Deco would take to the Premiership easily with his talent.If true it 's a no brainer.Strike a deal before the euro's when he will shine because he is fresh.

I think the issue is paying 15m for a player who will be 31 in a couple months time. If he was 25 or even a bit older, I`m sure 99% of people would have the opposite view

If Deco is in the 25 to 28 years age range, do you think he will only cost 15M?

Thing is though. In the past i don't think we done that bad with transfer fees, it's the players that turn up that are the problem.

Boumsong was a disaster but i don't know what we were doing paying 8m for him anyway.

Duff was a snip....... at the time, now it looks too much.

Martins was fairly good value.

If we got Deco for 15m i'd be very dissapointed but not if we are prepared to splash out on other players.

Lets not forget Deco is class.

Kev and Terry Mac were at the Rangers - Sporting game.

Would rather it was the other way round, Moutinho as the main target, Deco as back up.

They were apparently watching the keeper Rui Patricio, and defensive midfielder Miguel Veloso.

Or more likely , Carlos Cuellar?

When Chelsea bought Zola he was 30 and look what he did for them.Deco would take to the Premiership easily with his talent.If true it 's a no brainer.Strike a deal before the euro's when he will shine because he is fresh.

they picked him up for a bargain though, 4.5m as he fell out with the coach at Parma......a bit like when we signed Ginola for a knockdown 2.5m after the whole of France blamed him for France`s world cup qualifying failure. I`d take Deco for 4.5m mind but not for 15m ;)

Well I've heard that Deco has said no unless we sign some big name players first.

I always wanted Rui Costa to come here cos he's one of my all time favoruite players to watch...

me too... top class playmaker at the time. Batistuta was a phenomenal striker at Fiorentina too

Would rsther the club went for Diego or VDV before Deco tbh.

I think that would be the general view TBH.

It's more likely we will have to look elsewhere.

Nico Kranjar would be canny or D'Alessandro.

I don't want to put a dampner on things but Deco is not a "ccreative" midfielder in the mould of the zidanes/kakas of this world, his is more a mix of the two midfield gingas Butt & scholes, nothing fancy just does his job very well, perhaps a little more creative than Makalele whilst sacrificing a smidgeon of defensive talent...