Oba - will he stay or will he go?

Guest guinness_fiend

Guest guinness_fiend

Now, before I start, I am well aware of the fact that Oba has gone on record as saying that he is happy at the club and does not want to leave. 

But... I believe that his performances over the last few games will not have gone unnoticed by the top 4 and that we could potentially have a battle on our hands to keep him over the summer. 

Ultimately, whilst none of us know Zoggy personally, most believe that his head would be turned by a move to London (plus a bumper pay packet).  How about Oba?

In a footballing climate where loyalty is rare, do you think that we can offer the lad enough to satisfy his obvious ambition?  I for one would hate to see him leave, as his flair, attitude and spirit are unquestionable.

He enjoys our love far too much.

He's had CL football and lived in a great place, but the 1st team football and the crowd here, for me, i think provides him with what he needs, who knows if he sticks around long enough CL football might be possible here.

Guest guinness_fiend

Thanks Wullie, I love you too mate.

It has been bothering me for the last couple of weeks.  Whilst we are a popular choice for a lot of players, the top 4 have the advantage that they can offer a quick fix to a player's ambition.  Not many players think long term anymore (read: Ashley Cole, for instance).

Guest guinness_fiend

He enjoys our love far too much.

He's had CL football and lived in a great place, but the 1st team football and the crowd here, for me, i think provides him with what he needs, who knows if he sticks around long enough CL football might be possible here.

I bloody well hope so! 

Can't see any of our current strike force leaving bar Ameobi and Smith if you can call him a striker. I think we'll bring another top striker in if anything.

Can't see any of our current strike force leaving bar Ameobi and Smith if you can call him a striker. I think we'll bring another top striker in if anything.

That's what I'm hoping will happen.

Guest guinness_fiend

This thread is only missing an poll and its about as 99% of the other threads about every other player we have.

Thank you for your invaluable insight.  Please call again ;)

Of all the players we should be concerned about, Oba is top of the list in my opinion. 

I'm confident he'll stay. We were faced with a similar predicament last summer IIRC and Oba stood firm so with all the promise that next season holds I think he'll stay put. Will be dead gutted if him or Zog leave though.

I'm confident he'll stay. We were faced with a similar predicament last summer IIRC and Oba stood firm so with all the promise that next season holds I think he'll stay put. Will be dead gutted if him or Zog leave though.

I'd be changing my username now if I were you

Guest guinness_fiend
(from djmattis)I got nr.9 Martins on the back of my Newcastle 2005-2007 shirt.

Favourite over all favourites way back since the early Internazionale days, immense player who will grow even more with Keegans style of playing.

How you cant like this guy is beyond my knowledge.

Er.  I suggest that you re-read my posts.  I think that Martins is class, hence the concern.

As a club we should bend over backwards to keep him happy.  I am merely worried that the pulling-power of arguably 'bigger' clubs may be too much.  After all, Oba is only human.

Hopefully, if Keegan can make a few signings pretty soon after the season finishes, that should be enough to show Oba and the others that the club is going places.

Guest Stephen927

Can't see any of the top four coming in for him.

He wants to stay.

Verdict: I think he'll stay and score 17 goals next season.  :smitten:

I'd be changing my username now if I were you

I know  :weep: Dunno what I'm going to do with my shirt either  :-[

Guest Stephen927

(with the right service, he could get more than that imo)

He's showing a lot more composure in front of goal.. who knows. Would be fantastic for him and us if he got 20+.

Guest guinness_fiend

Imagine this:

Martins 20+

Owen 15+

Viduka 10+

Barton 8+

Then we will fight on top for europe/carling cup/fa cup.

I would settle for 10-12 each, with a wider spread across the team.  That would be bliss! :D