An Injury to [Insert Player's name] will we be IMPACTED most?

Ericz

Viduka

Martins

Faye

Owen

Butt

Martins would have won it but i just think if he's out, N'zobgia could potentially form the same role of LWF essentially, with a licence to roam. However, Carroll or Smith would not perform Viduka's role as well as Zog could do Martins'.

I'd say Faye, because he's far and away our best central defender, and that's a vital position.

A close second is Martins, which is something I wouldn't have expected to say a few weeks ago. He's not the most subtle of players, but he's been making a real pest of himself and that's opened things up for us. We don't have any other strikers with pace.

Viduka

Martins

Faye

Owen

Butt

Martins would have won it but i just think if he's out, N'zobgia could potentially form the same role of LWF essentially, with a licence to roam. However, Carroll or Smith would not perform Viduka's role as well as Zog could do Martins'.

This.

This.

I'm not so sure. Looking at Zoggy, he ought to be able to do roles other than winger or full back in a 4-4-2.  But from what I've seen, whenever he's been switched inside and given a freer role, he just sinks without trace. It's like he can't cope when he has more initiative and responsibility.

Martins, because he is the only striker with pace, stretches the opposition and gives the attack shape. the whole three up front formation depends on him. without viduka you can play Martins and Owen up top, letting Owen perform his new role of dropping deep, with Owen out you can play Viduka-Martins which is our most naturally balanced partnership.

I'd say Beye was important too, if only to prevent Carr from getting into the side, but we have Geremi and even Taylor who can play well in that position.

Geremi is another whose role is a bit under-rated, but i suppose Emre could do a similar job in midfield.

overall Martins is the only player we have who can't be replaced, now that Owen is no longer capable of playing 'on the shoulder'.

I think Martins or Beye.  The first thing I thought when seeing this thread was how Viduka is the least important player in the side, but obviously nobody concurs.  I just think he still doesn't do that much for the team, and another player could fill that role better.

Martins or Viduka, i'm probably edging towards Martins

Owen is a silly choice tbh, without those two he's nothing

:lol:

were you happy with him when he was playing alongside Smith, Milner and Duff?

Were you happy with Martins alongside the same players? (in particular pre-African Nations when Owen was still in and out, and Viduka was injured).

Were you happy with Martins alongside the same players? (in particular pre-African Nations when Owen was still in and out, and Viduka was injured).

Different formation, different manager. Martins is the key player in our new formation because of his ability to stretch the field, thus allowing Owen to drop into the space created by Martins ;)

Without Owen I reckon we could still play our normal game (well, what constitutes as normal atm) but without Martins, we'd suffer.

content

Guest Petay

Owen, the thing that has really struck me recently is that our defence is no longer just booting the ball long.  We are now playing through midfield and Owen is linking this to attack, take him out and I feel this situation stop and we go back to the hoof.

Beye, He is giving everyone confidence to do there job. The defence know he will look after them and the midfield need to worry less about pushing up and losing the ball and the strikers are getting a good service from him.

Any of the front 3 getting injured would mean we'd have to change the formation I think. Maybe Smith could play in Viduka's role but we all know how shit that would be. No-one else can play in Martins role and same with Owen's current role imo. People might suggest Duff but he wouldn't cut the mustard.

Guest rebel_yell12

Any one of the front three would necessitate a serious change in formation.  My instinct says Owen would be the biggest loss, though, not just because of what he does on the pitch, as much as he really seems to have stepped up as captain -- he's rallying the troops, encouraging the players, leading the pre-match huddle, etc.  As a player, he's linking the midfield, even dropping into defence (he did quite well on Saturday in or near Newcastle's own box).  And to balance those who say that Martins' movement provides space for Owen (it does, not arguing that point), there's the fact that Owen's play allows for space for Martins as well.  Martins' first half play, especially, was most notable because it was clear that Reading were primarily concerned with stopping Owen (not just my view, Keegan mentioned this as well).  It's wonderful to see Newcastle finally having enough quality that defences can't just mark one player as the entirety of the forward threat (Owen and Martins both suffered from this, imo, earlier in the season). 

The squad is so thin though, that any injury could be somewhat disastrous.  Beye has no cover (except Carr  :undecided:).  Enrique has no cover.  Harper has a very young, if promising, cover.  There's insufficient coverage in the midfield, especially at DM.  I don't trust anyone else to play in Owen's current position (Duff might manage the midfield portion, but not the late runs & goals).  I do think Owen could play where Martins is -- I don't understand where this "he can't play off the last shoulder anymore" idea has come from.  He done it less than six months ago for England, against a decidedly solid Russian team and looked good both matches (2 goals, 2 assists).  The fact that it is not where Newcastle needs him is not evidence that he's incapable (although he certainly is with Smith as the other striker, but who wouldn't be in that case?).  I'm more comfortable with Owen taking Martins' place, with a good attacking central midfielder in Owen's (if Newcastle had one of those...besides Barton who is already in the side) than with Martins taking Owen's, if that makes any sense.  Keegan seems to agree with me (at least publicly) that Michael Owen can play just about anywhere besides CB -- though not, of course, quite as well as the regulars.

Most harmful injury to the current formation:  Owen (touch wood) with second place a tough call, but I'm saying Beye (Martins & Barton so so close though).

Most LIKELY injury to force altering the formation:  Viduka (touch wood) with second place an unfortunate selection...Owen (touch wood again). 

Guest toonlass

Steve Harper. He has been quietly capable in front of goal. Fraser Forster has no premiership experience at all, Shay and Tim Krul are injured.