Distribution to the forwards

Decky

Is awful in our side, well, at least against Pompey it was. How many times did the likes of Enrique and Geremi find themselves in a position to cross it into the box, yet when they did they either:

• Didnt beat the first man
  • Hit it right into James
  • Completely cleared the box
  • Hit it into the crowd

Previous results and being safe or not we should have won at Fratton Park, we had so many chances to whip a ball in and when we did we simply gave up possession rather than get a shot or target or a goal. Not good at all yesterday. Something that needs to be worked on.

I didn't catch the game today, but i think it's clear as crystal to most that our creativity (distribution to forwards would be a sub-category of that) needs some serious investment. I agree with Wullie, it'll be reet next season. :D

Right now it just seems like nitpicking.

Im sorry are we not allowed to discuss the current squad and how they play?

Feel free. Unnecessarily negative in my eyes though.

In the four games prior to an away game against a very good side, we'd scored ten and those forwards had scored eight of them, so it can't be that "awful". Never seems to be any middle ground on this place, everything's brilliant or terrible. Not having a go at you specifically, just a general point.

Im just saying it was awful today thats why i said "at least against Pompey it was"

The fact that you didn't put it in the match thread suggested to me that you felt it was a deeper problem and as far as getting to the summer with our chests puffed out and heads held high, I don't think it is.

The crossing/final ball has been diabolical all season - including recently. I expect Keegan to sign two wingers a la Sellars/Ginola/Lee/Robert - ones who can actually hit a forward with some level of consistency.

Why would i put it in the match thread? Who actually looks in there for debate? During the game its constant stuff like:

"goal!!!"

"shit we missed!!"

"great performance!!"

Over and over, if i want any genuine debate or opinions about this then i need to create a new thread.

Didn't have a problem with it until today, but I'm putting it down to facing a good defense for the first time since switching to the new formation. Plus Viduka was nowhere near his best. Recently, Viduka has been responsible for holding up the ball and flicking it on while Owen or Martins ran into space. He only tried that once today from what I recall.

Today was a good dose of reality as well as an encouraging performance.

Why would i put it in the match thread? Who actually looks in there for debate? During the game its constant stuff like:

"goal!!!"

"shit we missed!!"

"great performance!!"

Over and over, if i want any genuine debate or opinions about this then i need to create a new thread.

Be a bit crowded if everything you wanted to say about the game after it had a new thread.

Sorry, just think this place is a bit ludicrous sometimes for kneejerking, especially after a game like today where imo there was not a lot to praise and not a lot to criticise, just a decent solid away performance, the likes of which we've not had consistently for a long time. We've won three games and now everyone expects the world from players like Geremi who will doubtless be replaced as first teamers in the summer, I think it's daft. I've seen criticism of nearly every player from today's game, I just find it quite ridiculous and rather disheartening if I'm honest.

A general point as I say and I am shattered. Not having a go as I say. Bedtime. :thup:

Guest ObaStar

we had 11 corners today. to have 11 corners and not score off one is pretty bad in my opinon. We need a replacement for Viduka.

we had 11 corners today. to have 11 corners and not score off one is pretty bad in my opinon. We need a replacement for Viduka.

More to do with Geremi's terrible deliveries than Viduka et al not getting on the end of them tbh.

I dont expect the world from Geremi at all, i just think out of all the corners and opportunities to cross we had, at least one should have found one of our forwards.

Agreed. Whilst its pleasing how often he and others were in a position to put in a decent ball, it was unimpressive how poor the final deliveries were.

With Geremi's corners, I felt he was always aiming for the near post, which inevitably meant that most didn't beat the first defender. I didn't feel he had much choice there, because Portsmouth are so strong in the air that anything else would have got eaten up by Campbell, Distin or James.

I wouldnt say it was awful because the opposition are there to block things. I am just glad the players are looking to make forward passes by feeding it to the forwards rather than side passes or fannying around with it between our box & in or around the half way line.

The crossing/final ball has been diabolical all season - including recently. I expect Keegan to sign two wingers a la Sellars/Ginola/Lee/Robert - ones who can actually hit a forward with some level of consistency.

aye 4-4-2 with proper wingers aiming for a forwards head.

that's going bacKwards IMO.

aye 4-4-2 with proper wingers aiming for a forwards head.

that's going bacKwards IMO.

Doesn't have to be the head - Sellars especially was more of a midfielder ho could pass to the player in the box - something we fail at far too often - looked at cut backs to men in space not happening from Martins and Geremi yesterday.

There is no excuse for players at the top level not being able to pass and cross accurately imo.

Geremi's corners were dreadful, however his freekicks were serious quality! Which does suggest that near-post corners were a deliberate tactic of the manager's due to Pompey's strong and tall defence. It didn't come off, but that's fair enough.

General with crosses, striker's have to get on the end of whatever ball comes in. A number of times Viduka didn't have the pace/energy/wherewithall to pull 2 yards off campbell and to have a header at it. If he did we'd have had more headers on target and less corners that's for sure!

Crossing into the box in open play wasn't the best of tactics yesterday anyway against a team the size of Portsmouth.  We have a couple of forwards with good close control against defenders with the turning circle of a super tanker.  We should have been playing it to feet through the middle a lot more IMO rather than relying on crosses..

Guest Knightrider

I thought the play up to the forwards and the general movement of the forward players was excellent at times in the game, we got in behind them a few times, stretched thema few times, turned them and created width a few times. The killer ball however just didn't come, despite a few attempts. For me our main undoing if you could call it that in an attacking sense was a lack of tempo. Had we upped that we'd have won comfortably as there was lots of space in the game and Martins' pace was causing them problems all game, while Viduka was dragging Distin out of position and Owen, he lost his marker throughout. Killer ball and lack of tempo effected us, not general passing and movement. Martins got in at least 3 times for example.