Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

Agreed, I still don't think Mort has done much wrong yet...

The timing and nature of the managerial change was a risky gamble -- but happily it seems to have paid off.

Thats it basically, it was a gamble, made me nervous but its paid off. Not sure if luck should get the credit or Mort, maybe a bit of both.

Without wanting to muddy the waters, given I've shown my support for Mort throughout this thread, it was an Ashley appointment - wasn't it?

I think most see them as a double act tbh.

Fair enough. I suppose thats the way it should be tbf.

It was just the KK quotes about speaking to the Owner etc when he joined.

Agreed, I still don't think Mort has done much wrong yet...

The timing and nature of the managerial change was a risky gamble -- but happily it seems to have paid off.

Thats it basically, it was a gamble, made me nervous but its paid off. Not sure if luck should get the credit or Mort, maybe a bit of both.

Without wanting to muddy the waters, given I've shown my support for Mort throughout this thread, it was an Ashley appointment - wasn't it?

I think most see them as a double act tbh.

The way i see it from Mort's comments was that Ashley said 'it was time for a change', Mort then took the signal, sacked Allardyce and they both worked together on the replacement. Just my reading of it.

The way i see it from Mort's comments was that Ashley said 'it was time for a change', Mort then took the signal, sacked Allardyce and they both worked together on the replacement. Just my reading of it.

I thought Ashley was quoted as saying Mort went to him and said that they had to sack Allerdyce, or something along those lines, I might be mixing things up though.

Edit.

From the News of The World article

"So when my chairman told me it was time for a change I knew it had to happen."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/1301_ashley.shtml

This Summer I'm hoping the club bring in some quality players in attacking positions but I think it's important that we don't waste big money on players that will be here short term and are on their way down, I want to see attacking players coming in in their early to mid 20's who we can build a team around for years to come, at the same time I don't mind if Keegan spends big on an older centre back because they have a longer shelf life and we really need a leader at the back.

I'm not against older players coming in but only if they're not going to cost big money, I think Viduka was a good signing for the club because he was free but he wouldn't have been if he cost £6 million plus, I also hope Wise steps up our youth programme and brings in a few more young players that the club can develop over the next 2 years before forcing their way into the first team.

I don't really give a toss how much the club spends as long as we get in the players we want, at the same time I'm hoping the club get better value for money when it comes to selling players as I've always thought we let them go too cheaply.

I just can't wait for the transfer window to open in June.

This Summer I'm hoping the club bring in some quality players in attacking positions but I think it's important that we don't waste big money on players that will be here short term and are on their way down, I want to see attacking players coming in in their early to mid 20's who we can build a team around for years to come, at the same time I don't mind if Keegan spends big on an older centre back because they have a longer shelf life and we really need a leader at the back.

I'm not against older players coming in but only if they're not going to cost big money, I think Viduka was a good signing for the club because he was free but he wouldn't have been if he cost £6 million plus, I also hope Wise steps up our youth programme and brings in a few more young players that the club can develop over the next 2 years before forcing their way into the first team.

I don't really give a toss how much the club spends as long as we get in the players we want, at the same time I'm hoping the club get better value for money when it comes to selling players as I've always thought we let them go too cheaply.

Another good post

This Summer I'm hoping the club bring in some quality players in attacking positions but I think it's important that we don't waste big money on players that will be here short term and are on their way down, I want to see a-ttacking players coming in in their early to mid 20's who we can build a team around for years to come, at the same time I don't mind if Keegan spends big on an older centre back because they have a longer shelf life and we really need a leader at the back.

Agree with that.

The only thing I'm not sure about is Viduka.

I wasn't a big fan before and, whilst he can be absolute quality, I'm not sure he's been worth the £3m in wages (based on £60k per week) he has cost us. Especially given he'll have no residual value when his time is up.

Fwiw, I still feel we need a big clear out in the summer, even though Keegan keeps going on about the small squad, with the likes of Duff, Emre (who I've given up on, despite backing him since day 1), Viduka, Carr etc all easily replaced for less wages.

When you think (between that lot) the weekly wage is an astonishing £230k based on;

Duff - £65k

Emre - £65k

Viduka - £60k

Carr - £40k

We could get two serious 'world stars' in for that much who may still have some value left should we flog them. Combined, I'd be surprised if that lot got us £10m.

When you think of the revenue costs, in wages, and the depreciation in value since we bought them, it's a hell of a loss.

This re-emphasis's the need for investment in quality youth/young players imo, as you've pointed out Baggio.

It seems to me that the club is planning in doing a bit of both. On the one hand making sure we have a top notch scouting network across europe, in order to not only raise the standard of our youth set up (zamblera etc) but young stars into the first team set up too (boussafa etc).

On the other hand, keeping eye on what i would call current talent, which includes anything from mega star big names such as Henry and Deco, as well as your more do-able signings such Bentley.

Using phrases such as "trophy signings", "big names" and "big money" is all theoretical and in fact nonsense. What we really want be concentrating on is getting talent and value for our money regardless of age, name, nationality or what team we are buying them off.

If you offered me the chance of signing players such as Deco, Henry etc i'd snap your hand off (if their attitude was right) because i believe them to be highley talented footballers and would raise the bar of the players we intend to sign.

However if you gave me a choice between Henry and Bentley, i'd pick Bentley because i believe he will benefit the club long term.

plenty of people have harped on about "trophy signings", in fact. Plenty of people also agreed with the sentiment, although now it appears that it is dependant on the individuals responsible for the signings.

All the signs point to the fact that Mort is going to run a tight financial ship here, I hope I'm wrong but if it turns out to be the case I also expect a lot of uturns and denials. And if he does, we'll lose our manager. It beats me why people think you can match the other top clubs without competing with them. Although I know the reason why.

plenty of people have harped on about "trophy signings", in fact. Plenty of people also agreed with the sentiment, although now it appears that it is dependant on the individuals responsible for the signings.

All the signs point to the fact that Mort is going to run a tight financial ship here, I hope I'm wrong but if it turns out to be the case I also expect a lot of uturns and denials. And if he does, we'll lose our manager. It beats me why people think you can match the other top clubs without competing with them. Although I know the reason why.

Why not wait and see instead of having a go about something which may not happen?

NE5 is like a Fast Show character. He comes on every week, speaks the same old nonsense and everyone has a good old laugh at the daft sod.  :iamatwat:

A cross between that and a fundamentalist Muslim, preposterously overreacting any time he considers his idol has been slighted.

I thought he was just impatient for success and wants us to properly go for it with mega-investment, which he believes it will take. ???

Of course, others believe a long term building job is required, it could all boil down to age and the desire to see us lift a trophy in this lifetime.

indeed, who isn't impatient for success ?

Some people also can't recognise how important it is to back managers too, in spite of the abysmal summer last year

Why not wait and see instead of having a go about something which may not happen?

Sadly, stop buying these "trophy" signings is an easily predictable outcome and equally sadly, people who supported the club when we sold our best players shouldn't really need to be told.

indeed, who isn't impatient for success ?

Some people also can't recognise how important it is to back managers too, in spite of the abysmal summer last year

I think everybody recognises the importance of backing the manager, as long as it's the right manager.  Just because some people don't think pissing good money after bad is not the way to go doesn't mean giving a good manager money is a bad idea.

It seems to me that the club is planning in doing a bit of both. On the one hand making sure we have a top notch scouting network across europe, in order to not only raise the standard of our youth set up (zamblera etc) but young stars into the first team set up too (boussafa etc).

On the other hand, keeping eye on what i would call current talent, which includes anything from mega star big names such as Henry and Deco, as well as your more do-able signings such Bentley.

Using phrases such as "trophy signings", "big names" and "big money" is all theoretical and in fact nonsense. What we really want be concentrating on is getting talent and value for our money regardless of age, name, nationality or what team we are buying them off.

If you offered me the chance of signing players such as Deco, Henry etc i'd snap your hand off (if their attitude was right) because i believe them to be highley talented footballers and would raise the bar of the players we intend to sign.

However if you gave me a choice between Henry and Bentley, i'd pick Bentley because i believe he will benefit the club long term.

The thing is, is that you'd very quick to make a sweeping statement like this which is based on precedent set 30 years ago and twisted quotes, but if anyone was to ask a direct question to you such as;

Based on the bit in bold, does that mean you think we will spend very little this summer? Do you have an estimate of how much we will spend?

I can pretty much guarantee that despite your absolute certainty that you are right you wont be brave enough to put you head on the line and answer either question, because deep down you know you could be wrong.

Sadly, stop buying these "trophy" signings is an easily predictable outcome and equally sadly, people who supported the club when we sold our best players shouldn't really need to be told.

The way you go on at times suggests if we do win something it'll pass you by until the day it happens while most people will enjoy the ride.  Try and find something positive, you clearly think Keegan is a good manager so why not support the people who brought him back, if they screw it up then we can all have a go at them but giving them a chance isn't too much to expect.

What has happened in the past is gone, try to enjoy the future.

NE5 is like a Fast Show character. He comes on every week, speaks the same old nonsense and everyone has a good old laugh at the daft sod.  :iamatwat:

A cross between that and a fundamentalist Muslim, preposterously overreacting any time he considers his idol has been slighted.

will someone who's proficient with photoshop PLEASE make this idea into a picture? i'm thinking of this one

http://sioedeutschland.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/behead_those_who_insult_islam_london.jpg

because the entire point of this forum is for us all to say what we think should happen, what we think WILL happen, and then the ones who were right get to say i told you so, over and over again?

In some ways i agree with Ne5 sentiment. I believe we have lost our ambition in recent years and seem to have forgotten what a bit of investment and good management can do for your fortunes. I always compare this to when Bobby came in. We'd almost all but lost our faith in the club getting anywhere near the top of the table again.

Then all of a sudden, we had faith in our manager. His good management and the investment he was given propelled us into the top four. At a time when people claimed that the top four had a monopoly on the league (maybe not quite as much as now addmittedly).

Again we have a manager who we would trust wholeheartedly. I'd bet my house the if Keegan was given 100m on five top class players we would be challenging for the top four. That might sound crazy but it isn't, we just seem to have forgotten what we are capable of.

The question is whether we will fork out that money or whether we are wanting to do it over a period of a few years and build a squad like nearly every other club in the league are doing. I'd much prefer the club to splash the cash, mainly because i trust Keegan. However, i could completely understand why we wouldn't go down that route.

In some ways i agree with Ne5 sentiment. I believe we have lost our ambition in recent years and seem to have forgotten what a bit of investment and good management can do for your fortunes. I always compare this to when Bobby came in. We'd almost all but lost our faith in the club getting anywhere near the top of the table again.

Then all of a sudden, we had faith in our manager. His good management and the investment he was given propelled us into the top four. At a time when people claimed that the top four had a monopoly on the league (maybe not quite as much as now addmittedly).

Again we have a manager who we would trust wholeheartedly. I'd bet my house the if Keegan was given 100m on five top class players we would be challenging for the top four. That might sound crazy but it isn't, we just seem to have forgotten what we are capable of.

The question is whether we will fork out that money or whether we are wanting to do it over a period of a few years and build a squad like nearly every other club in the league are doing. I'd much prefer the club to splash the cash, mainly because i trust Keegan. However, i could completely understand why we wouldn't go down that route.

where would investment and bad managemnet get you ?

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5792/roederglennnufcprofile2pp0.jpg

You can't tell me that they've got where they are today without any planning or strategy. They've punched above their weight for years and it's only really since the Stadium move that they have been confirmed as a genuine big hitter

FACT:Arseanl have always been a genuine big hitter.

They have not won anything since moving & have not broke there transfer record since moving either, so I am not sure how you can write they genuine big hitters since the move.

It may be that we can have the best of both worlds.

A heavy investment program over the summer, of say £80m, would give everyone an immediate lift and would almost guarantee us a minimum of a top 8 finish.

If we spend that cash mainly on players younger than 26 and then invest further in the scouting system and improving the youth teams and reserves (with promising young kids) then we'd have gone a long way to sorting ourselves out in the short term.

Next the academy.

Whats that got to do with anything?

Keegan IMO (and Morts clearly) is a good manager, therefore should be backed.

There's two options, you either trust a manager or you don't.

If you do, you back him. If you don't you sack him.

However, of course, there are variables on how much you can afford to back him.

You can't tell me that they've got where they are today without any planning or strategy. They've punched above their weight for years and it's only really since the Stadium move that they have been confirmed as a genuine big hitter

FACT:Arseanl have always been a genuine big hitter.

They have not won anything since moving & have not broke there transfer record since moving either, so I am not sure how you can write they genuine big hitters since the move.

You telling me they were a big hitter under Bruce Rioch, with crowds of less than 30k?

Financially, they've not been able to compete with Man Utd etc and hence the reason for the stadium move.

Now they are a top four club in more ways than one. They weren't before imo.

Whats that got to do with anything?

Keegan IMO (and Morts clearly) is a good manager, therefore should be backed.

There's two options, you either trust a manager or you don't.

If you do, you back him. If you don't you sack him.

However, of course, there are variables on how much you can afford to back him.

backed with debt (can we get credit in todays environment and on what terms) or with what we generate ?