Mort: Taylor contract will be sorted

Dokko

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/04/23/mort-taylor-contract-will-be-sorted-72703-20805851/

NEWCASTLE United defender Steven Taylor’s long-running contract saga should be resolved soon.

That was the pledge today from United chairman Chris Mort, who feels he can concentrate on players' contracts now boss Kevin Keegan has ensured the club will be playing Premier League football again next season.

The news follows hard on the heels of the Chronicle revealing on Monday that Mort was hoping to have striker Michael Owen tied up on a new deal.

Obafemi Martins' agents and representatives are also pushing for a new contract for the little Nigerian international forward.

But a United source told me today: “Talk of a new contract for Obafemi Martins is news to us.”

Reports of £90,000 a week for Martins must have left Taylor wondering, but the England Under-21 captain is staying cool about the situation.

However, he will be encouraged by the words of his chairman, with Mort telling me today: “Steven Taylor is a young and very promising defender.

“We would like him to stay at the club long term.

“We will sit down with Steven and his father and hopefully work something out.”

Taylor has been content to let his father Alf handle all his contract talks with United, but he has now engaged London-based agent Leon Angel, who represents a lot of top players, to look after his financial interests.

The 22-year-old, from Greenwich, who has another year on his contract, was offered what was described as a new and improved deal in September – but it would still have left him as one of the lowest-paid players in United’s first-team squad.

Mort hopes to resolve the situation before Taylor heads off for a well-earned summer break and this will delight the Geordie boy, who cannot see beyond a future at St James’ Park.

There is talk of Taylor being joined at United by Spurs central defender Anthony Gardner, currently on loan at Everton, but I am not so sure he is on Keegan’s summer shopping list.

Meanwhile, another of the men appointed by ex-boss Sam Allardyce during his ill-fated reign has left the club.

The highly-rated video analyst Dave Fallows has parted company with United, leaving Allardyce’s men rather thin on the ground.

The United hierarchy of Dennis Wise, Tony Jimenez and Jeff Vetere have acted quickly by replacing Fallows with Mike Crompton.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/04/23/mort-taylor-contract-will-be-sorted-72703-20805851/

NEWCASTLE United defender Steven Taylor’s long-running contract saga should be resolved soon.

That was the pledge today from United chairman Chris Mort, who feels he can concentrate on players' contracts now boss Kevin Keegan has ensured the club will be playing Premier League football again next season.

The news follows hard on the heels of the Chronicle revealing on Monday that Mort was hoping to have striker Michael Owen tied up on a new deal.

Obafemi Martins' agents and representatives are also pushing for a new contract for the little Nigerian international forward.

But a United source told me today: “Talk of a new contract for Obafemi Martins is news to us.”

Reports of £90,000 a week for Martins must have left Taylor wondering, but the England Under-21 captain is staying cool about the situation.

However, he will be encouraged by the words of his chairman, with Mort telling me today: “Steven Taylor is a young and very promising defender.

Taylor has been content to let his father Alf handle all his contract talks with United, but he has now engaged London-based agent Leon Angel, who represents a lot of top players, to look after his financial interests.

The 22-year-old, from Greenwich, who has another year on his contract, was offered what was described as a new and improved deal in September – but it would still have left him as one of the lowest-paid players in United’s first-team squad.

Mort hopes to resolve the situation before Taylor heads off for a well-earned summer break and this will delight the Geordie boy, who cannot see beyond a future at St James’ Park.

There is talk of Taylor being joined at United by Spurs central defender Anthony Gardner, currently on loan at Everton, but I am not so sure he is on Keegan’s summer shopping list.

Meanwhile, another of the men appointed by ex-boss Sam Allardyce during his ill-fated reign has left the club.

The highly-rated video analyst Dave Fallows has parted company with United, leaving Allardyce’s men rather thin on the ground.

The United hierarchy of Dennis Wise, Tony Jimenez and Jeff Vetere have acted quickly by replacing Fallows with Mike Crompton.

Hope he is right about that bit

I'd rather Taylor joined Gardner at Spurs tbh

"the highly-rated video analyst Dave Fallows has parted company with United, leaving Allardyce’s men rather thin on the ground"

Another one of them :lol:

Can you imaging Mr Fallows trying to prove his worth to KK?

KK "So what do you do then Dave?"

DF "Oh, er, i watch videos, yeah, like this you see?"

KK "Yeah i think i do...and people have the nerve to call Terry useless"

DF "Don't worry, my wages are paid for by the nash, please don't sack me!"

"the highly-rated video analyst Dave Fallows has parted company with United, leaving Allardyce’s men rather thin on the ground"

Even though we have immediately appointed a replacement?

Even though we have immediately appointed a replacement?

Mike Crompton - DVD analyst.

:idiot2:

Newcastle chairman Chris Mort has spoken of his desire to commit Steven Taylor to a long-term deal at St James' Park.

The 22-year-old defender is currently stalling on fresh terms having been less than enamoured with the offer put on the table in September.

Under Kevin Keegan's tenure the fans' favourite has further established himself as a key member of Newcastle's squad and has in the past intimated a desire to remain with his hometown club.

Sky Sports writers don't read this forum, do they?

Newcastle chairman Chris Mort has spoken of his desire to commit Steven Taylor to a long-term deal at St James' Park.

The 22-year-old defender is currently stalling on fresh terms having been less than enamoured with the offer put on the table in September.

Under Kevin Keegan's tenure the fans' favourite has further established himself as a key member of Newcastle's squad and has in the past intimated a desire to remain with his hometown club.

The piece is written by Alan Oliver who isn't the most objective journalist in the north east.

The piece is written by Alan Oliver who isn't the most objective journalist in the north east.

Haha I'm aware of Anal Oliver thanks.  ;D

And that is from SkySports, as I copied the quote from their website  bluerazz.gif

NEWCASTLE United defender Steven Taylors long-running contract saga should be resolved soon.

But a United source told me today: Talk of a new contract for Obafemi Martins is news to us.

However, he will be encouraged by the words of his chairman, with Mort telling me today: Steven Taylor is a young and very promising defender.

We would like him to stay at the club long term.

We will sit down with Steven and his father and hopefully work something out.

The 22-year-old, from Greenwich, who has another year on his contract, was offered what was described as a new and improved deal in September but it would still have left him as one of the lowest-paid players in Uniteds first-team squad.

Mort hopes to resolve the situation before Taylor heads off for a well-earned summer break and this will delight the Geordie boy, who cannot see beyond a future at St James Park.

There is talk of Taylor being joined at United by Spurs central defender Anthony Gardner, currently on loan at Everton, but I am not so sure he is on Keegans summer shopping list.

The highly-rated video analyst Dave Fallows has parted company with United, leaving Allardyces men rather thin on the ground.

:idiot2:

Thanks ;)

We can do much better than both Taylor and Gardner, and I really hope Keegan sees that too.

Overriding point is that if the club want to tie down players to new contracts, they should do it quickly and not mess around so someone else can sign them up.

I'm sure that Keegan will have a lot to say if they lose Owen, Taylor or Martins due to them not getting these deals signed and done.

Overriding point is that if the club want to tie down players to new contracts, they should do it quickly and not mess around so someone else can sign them up.

I'm sure that Keegan will have a lot to say if they lose Owen, Taylor or Martins due to them not getting these deals signed and done.

To be honest, I reckon he'd only be gutted about losing Owen, and even then, as long as he can bring his own men in he'll be fine.

The board need to back him though, be it through contacts or new signings. I'm sure they will do though, as they've now spoken about contracts for all of these three :)

To be honest, I reckon he'd only be gutted about losing Owen, and even then, as long as he can bring his own men in he'll be fine.

The board need to back him though, be it through contacts or new signings. I'm sure they will do though, as they've now spoken about contracts for all of these three :)

I don't understand why they are talking about it and doing nothing though ? Are they playing games with the players or something ? Just get them signed up if Keegan wants them, show them good faith, and behave like a progressive club by doing so ffs

Signing Michael Owen asap on a new contract will speak volumes in football circles and tempt other players they target

I don't understand why they are talking about it and doing nothing though ? Are they playing games with the players or something ? Just get them signed up if Keegan wants them, show them good faith, and behave like a progressive club by doing so ffs

Signing Michael Owen asap on a new contract will speak volumes in football circles and tempt other players they target

See, the only problem I have with them at the moment is they're talking a bit more than I'd want. I'd rather hear nothing coming from the club until things are sorted.

Who's to say they're not already sorting these contracts out now premiership status is secure?

See, the only problem I have with them at the moment is they're talking a bit more than I'd want. I'd rather hear nothing coming from the club until things are sorted.

Who's to say they're not already sorting these contracts out now premiership status is secure?

thats about the size of it. I agree. What are they mouthing off for ? Just get on with it and tell us when its done. The only motivation they have in talking about it and all these silly digs, is basically points scoring ie "appeasing"

Stupid tbh

thats about the size of it. I agree. What are they mouthing off for ? Just get on with it and tell us when its done. The only motivation they have in talking about it and all these silly digs, is basically points scoring ie "appeasing"

Stupid tbh

Oh fer ferks sake. Silly digs? They are reasuring people that contract situations regarding a number of our players will be addressed now our top flight status is assured. Whether they manage to strike a deal suitable for all parties who knows, but glad to hear that they're on to it.

Glad to be "appeased".

I hear Taylor is getting a proper agency to do his contracts from now on, not his dad.

Well I'm glad he's got some sense at last.

Doesn't Andy Hunter off here know him?

Marks parents know Taylors parents, not sure how much contact Mark has with Taylor.

Can see exactly where this thread is going, "there may be trouble 20 pages of shit arguments ahead".

I will even guess the general content:

"I will answer that when you answer my question on page 6"

"still not going to answer it"

"I can't be arsed anymore, night"

"still not answered my question from earlier then"

"stop changing the subject and answer the question"

Repeat until bored to seriously thinking about suicide.....