Richard Dunne staying at Citeh

jimmymag

How is that obvious?

Because the lack of activity is dangerously low.

You'd think we'd be trying to shift some of the s*** as well, but nothing is even being strongly linked out. Reckon KK thinks they are good enough, Smith, Duff and the likes of.

Worrying for me.

its very early days tbf

We needs some early signings or this summer will be a disaster. We'll end up chasing the dross and paying over the odds for shite and we will go nowhere, again for another season.

Like we did for Beye and Faye?

And if they hadn't happened? We'd be fuked.

Lets just wait till the last day eh?  :rolleyes:

Guest icemanblue

How can people not be embarrassed by saying 'our summer will be a disaster' when the transfer window hasn't even opened?!

You have absolutely no clue what is going on behind the scenes. You're basing your opinions on what the papers write. The very same papers you slag off for being biased and telling lies. Get a fucking grip, man.

KK has said the first we'll hear about someone signing is when it's done and they're posing for pictures in the shirt. That's good enough for me.

How is that obvious?

You'd think we'd be trying to shift some of the s*** as well, but nothing is even being strongly linked out. Reckon KK thinks they are good enough, Smith, Duff and the likes of.

Worrying for me.

its very early days tbf

We needs some early signings or this summer will be a disaster. We'll end up chasing the dross and paying over the odds for shite and we will go nowhere, again for another season.

But they did though.

How can people not be embarrassed by saying 'our summer will be a disaster' when the transfer window hasn't even opened?!

You have absolutely no clue what is going on behind the scenes. You're basing your opinions on what the papers write. The very same papers you slag off for being biased and telling lies. Get a fucking grip, man.

KK has said the first we'll hear about someone signing is when it's done and they're posing for pictures in the shirt. That's good enough for me.

Bang on chap!

How is that obvious?

Worrying for me.

its very early days tbf

But they did though.

So pin our season on a last minute signing?

Player of the season signed on deadline day.

Fuk me, bunch of amateurs. (the club not you)

How is that obvious?

Worrying for me.

its very early days tbf

But they did though.

I'm not saying that, I'm just saying give it time man, we're still in May. I'm sure the club are trying to get any recruits in as soon as they can.

The lack of concrete signings is disappointing, but it's in no way a disaster.

If we get to August and it's still the same, then that's the time to worry. Keegan, Ashley and Mort have all tended to keep their cards close to their chests in recent months so just because there's nothing in the papers doesn't to me indicate that we're not in the advanced stages of negotiations.

It wouldn't surprise me if the first we knew about a player signing was when we announced a press conference.

As for people (Toon's Taylor for one) saying that possibly Keegan thinks Smith and Duff are good enough... I highly doubt that. What do you expect him to do? Come out and state that he thinks they're sub-standard and wants them out? All that will do is massively reduce their value and our ability to sell them. Also, if things DO go tits-up in the summer and we can't get our targets in, then we have to play with players the manager has labeled unwanted and not good enough.

Again, I'm sure Keegan will be trying to get rid of the rubbish but it'll be done in private, not through the press.

The window hasn't even opened yet and already people are getting annoyed at the lack of signings. Impatient? Us? Hmm.

We needs some early signings or this summer will be a disaster.

Incredible hyperbole IMO.

Everyone would prefer to get the players in on day one (including the manager and the club, I'd imagine), but it simply doesn't work like that.

why doesn't it work like that?  who says?  i see no reason why it shouldn't should a club wish to force an issue - arsenal have just done it with nasri haven't they?

Why didn't Arsenal sign him last week then? What took them so long?

The season finished a couple of weeks ago. Players, agents, managers, scouts; everyone either is on holiday or busy compiling their plans for the coming season(s). Common sense tells you it's just not possible to sign everyone you want in the first few weeks.

As I see it, if we are genuinely interested in Dunne, there a few reasons why we couldn't get him, and many he would:

Former Keegan player

Keegan is bigger in England than the managers of Dunne's other choices, including Ramos.

Choice is between clubs finishing 10th, 11th, 12th. Not much difference between either side and no guarantees for next season.

He'd be third choice (albeit playing 30 games a season) at Spurs. He'd be vice-captain here.

I don't believe not being in Europe would be too much of a turn-off for a player like Dunne. Premier League is his bread and butter, UEFA Cup football at Spurs is a short term novelty, and signing a long term contract, there is no guarantee that any of the clubs he is linked with can offer regular European football.

Of the reasons he may reject us:

Goldfish bowl - like it or not, our fans have a reputation for creating such an environment. Dunne has previously had problems that affected his performances, and if he is worried that he isn't mentally equipped to play for Newcastle, we are better off steering clear anyway.

Joey Barton - We know that at least one player (Silvestre) refused to come here because of Barton. If further targets use this as a reason, Barton should be sacked.

How is that obvious?

Worrying for me.

its very early days tbf

But they did though.

I'm not saying that, I'm just saying give it time man, we're still in May. I'm sure the club are trying to get any recruits in as soon as they can.

There's time, but it fast runs out and i for one think we need a fuking lot of players in during the summer. Euro2008 takes away about two weeks when its on, then because of this tournament loads of offers will come rushing in at once making deals more complicated and longer, you'll find it doubly hard and time consuming to sign a player straight after.

Its June in a couple of days, it will go quicker than you think. We need two 1st teamers in by this time next month or were left chasing the shite.

How is that obvious?

Worrying for me.

its very early days tbf

We needs some early signings or this summer will be a disaster. We'll end up chasing the dross and paying over the odds for s**** and we will go nowhere, again for another season.

we're on the same wavelength mate - after the "club review" and employment of vetere/jiminez i really expected an early concerted move in the market...an attempt to have players in place before bidding wars start/values increase etc...

i basically expected a break from the last decade of agent driven deals & last minute buys at high prices

not of that looks likely to materialise and it's disappointing should it happen as you describe

I don't think there's anything wrong thinking like we do, it just happens we know the club and how windows work while others bury their head in the sands and hope for the best. We all hope they are right, but past shows its us who end up calling the correct outcome and the club stalls for another season.

Just don't want it to happen again, and the longer this goes on, the more likely were the correct ones again.

i'm amused how people can't see that carrying on in the way we have for years, decades now isn't going to somehow magically end up with a different result this time!

hope is a wonderful thing a times but when it gets in the way of reality people need to have a think

summary of NUFC this summer is: we have players that need to leave the club due to high wages and underperformance; we need to strengthen the squad significantly and add pace/creativity etc...

i'll repeat the question i keep asking - how is waiting to move going to benefit the club (this is always assuming we're not working on multiple deals that the club have magically managed to keep quiet from everyone)?

The lack of concrete signings is disappointing, but it's in no way a disaster.

If we get to August and it's still the same, then that's the time to worry. Keegan, Ashley and Mort have all tended to keep their cards close to their chests in recent months so just because there's nothing in the papers doesn't to me indicate that we're not in the advanced stages of negotiations.

It wouldn't surprise me if the first we knew about a player signing was when we announced a press conference.

As for people (Toon's Taylor for one) saying that possibly Keegan thinks Smith and Duff are good enough... I highly doubt that. What do you expect him to do? Come out and state that he thinks they're sub-standard and wants them out? All that will do is massively reduce their value and our ability to sell them. Also, if things DO go tits-up in the summer and we can't get our targets in, then we have to play with players the manager has labeled unwanted and not good enough.

Again, I'm sure Keegan will be trying to get rid of the rubbish but it'll be done in private, not through the press.

The window hasn't even opened yet and already people are getting annoyed at the lack of signings. Impatient? Us? Hmm.

Nothing wrong with telling players you don't want to go look for other clubs publicly because if you do then clubs become interested and make offers. These are the kind of players though teams who don't get who they want in early will be chasing at the end of July and through August, but would still be nice to get them out, off the wage bill.

How is that obvious?

Worrying for me.

its very early days tbf

We needs some early signings or this summer will be a disaster. We'll end up chasing the dross and paying over the odds for s**** and we will go nowhere, again for another season.

we're on the same wavelength mate - after the "club review" and employment of vetere/jiminez i really expected an early concerted move in the market...an attempt to have players in place before bidding wars start/values increase etc...

i basically expected a break from the last decade of agent driven deals & last minute buys at high prices

not of that looks likely to materialise and it's disappointing should it happen as you describe

I don't think there's anything wrong thinking like we do, it just happens we know the club and how windows work while others bury their head in the sands and hope for the best. We all hope they are right, but past shows its us who end up calling the correct outcome and the club stalls for another season.

Just don't want it to happen again, and the longer this goes on, the more likely were the correct ones again.

i'm amused how people can't see that carrying on in the way we have for years, decades now isn't going to somehow magically end up with a different result this time!

hope is a wonderful thing a times but when it gets in the way of reality people need to have a think

summary of NUFC this summer is: we have players that need to leave the club due to high wages and underperformance; we need to strengthen the squad significantly and add pace/creativity etc...

i'll repeat the question i keep asking - how is waiting to move going to benefit the club (this is always assuming we're not working on multiple deals that the club have magically managed to keep quiet from everyone)?

How do you know we're waiting though?

Did you know about the Enrique deal? Because I thought the first news of that came from Villarreal's website. It's not impossible to keep rumours out of the papers, obviously.

Nobody is saying that waiting will specifically benefit us, just that there's nothing to worry about at this point in time.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather we spent a bit longer to make sure we get the right players in, than rush out and buy shit like Duff and Smith based on their reputations. That's partly the reason we're in this position in the first place.

We signed 9 players between June and September last season, after we'd been through a boardroom change and a managerial change, and as I recall people were mostly happy with what we had managed to do.

It's still May now, there's the EURO 2008 tournament on the horizon, we've made at least one bid for Modric and other rumoured offers for the likes of Veloso, Moutinho, Gomis and now Diane, while we were actively scouting around Europe towards the back end of the season.

I'm sure there is a shitload of stuff going on behind the scenes as they try and get a hold of their targets, it'll not be like they're all sitting around smoking pipes with their phones off man.

Why's that so hard to believe? Mort and Ashley have already done this once before - Keegan was announced with no press speculation at all.

I'm not a mindless optimist by the way, and I'm not saying that everything definitely will be alright. I'm just saying we should complain WHEN things go wrong, not in case they go wrong.

By the way, I'd rather "bury my head in the sand" than wind everyone else on the board up by pissing and moaning in May that the club haven't made any signings yet.

:razz:

Did you know about the Enrique deal? Because I thought the first news of that came from Villarreal's website. It's not impossible to keep rumours out of the papers, obviously.

Nobody is saying that waiting will specifically benefit us, just that there's nothing to worry about at this point in time.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather we spent a bit longer to make sure we get the right players in, than rush out and buy s*** like Duff and Smith based on their reputations. That's partly the reason we're in this position in the first place.

Alot will depend on the type of player if we are going after a big name then i would expect the press to know about it but your right and with the players we seem to be targetting we may well just announce it out of the blue.

The arguments going on here are a bit like me complaining about my christmas presents before I have opened them.

The transfer window hasn't opened yet. We might have a good one, we might not. Who knows?

How is that obvious?

Worrying for me.

its very early days tbf

I wish we could do things like the big clubs and talented managers, get their 1st teamer signings in before the window officially opens. Like Hargreaves, Nani & Anderson for Manu, get them in early so they can settle. Tevez was done by the start of August and to think about the complications that deal had to go through. Courts, about 4 clubs, 3 agents, Fifa, UEFA, probably one of the most complicated deals in history but SAF went for him as soon as the season ended, he knew what he wanted.