Shearer - Amazing

Decky

Not too difficult to see Owen taking number 2 spot from Cole if he stays free of injury, so, no chance then.

Even in his "prime" I think the most League goals he got in one season was 18. Will be tough for him.

Edit: 19 actually.

It should also be noted that Shearer scored 23 league goals for Southampton in the then First Division before the fancy name change to the Premier League making his real total League goals record 283

Guest Stephen927

I started to get into football soon after he signed for Newcastle.

Utter legend. Adapted his game well after that nasty injury, deserves a lot of credit for that.  :clap:

I am still convinced that had we stuck with Stefan Guivarch and dumped Shearer, we would be 6 times European Champions by now.

:iamatwat:

It should also be noted that Shearer scored 23 league goals for Southampton in the then First Division before the fancy name change to the Premier League making his real total League goals record 283

Yeah, but if you do he won't be top of the list. Jimmy Greaves would be miles ahead I would imagine.

Guest Phil K

Yet still there were critics on here of Big Al in his last 2 seasons - which truly revolted me.

Typical "What have you done for me lately" types.

Many of them the same ones that are attacking others for their "lack of faith" in KK !!!

Yet still there were critics on here of Big Al in his last 2 seasons - which truly revolted me.

Many of them the same ones that are attacking others for their "lack of faith" in KK !!!

The criticism was right though in his last 2 seasons, he was a shadow of his former self. There is no room for sentiment.

The criticism was right though in his last 2 seasons, he was a shadow of his former self. There is no room for sentiment.

Exactly. He shouldn't have been the automatic starter he was for that period of time.

Guest Phil K

Bollocks.

Even the last two seasons he was doing more than anyone in an underperforming team.

Bollocks.

Even the last two seasons he was doing more than anyone in an underperforming team.

Are you saying he wasn't a shadow of his former self?

Bollocks.

Are you saying he wasn't a shadow of his former self?

He was nowhere like the Shearer of old, but he was still our best striker. Said more about our transfer dealings though.

So tempted to say something but don't want this to turn into a 22 pager of old arguments :D

Lets just say no player should be bigger than the club and the manager or their superiors should make sure of it.

Got to say, the final two years reduced my overall affection for him. Not necessarily all his fault like.

I think that was the same for me back then. When he retired, I thought 'thanks for everything, but I'm glad you're going so we can move on'. But now, looking back, there were so many good times that I just tend to forget the shite at the end. It was a good ride, and he was worth every penny. My affection for him has grown, and will probably continue to grow, with time.

So tempted to say something but don't want this to turn into a 22 pager of old arguments :D

Lets just say no player should be bigger than the club and the manager or their superiors should make sure of it.

:coolsmiley:

You're tempted to say what? 

Guest Knightrider

We should applaud those who are/were desperate to pull on the shirt and in Shearer there was none so more desperate to achieve something in a black and white shirt. God knows he tried to lift some silverware, firing in enough goals to win championships and important semi-final goals to take us to Wembley twice, but alas he won nothing, so went for the next best thing - Wor Jackie's record. Yes he wasn't the player he once was in those final seasons, but he still performed better than the majority and the way I look at it he did a job for the team, sacrificing his body time and time again which was pleading with him to call it a day. It was painful seeing him struggle so badly at times but I was immensely proud to see this lion of ours use his body in the way he did to help his rather shitty mismanaged team out and that goal against Pompey... that was one of our own fulfilling a boyhood dream with his boyhood club in front of his own people which although a magnificent achievement is scant reward for 10 goal laden great years with us. The man's a legend and if anything, he's grown even more in my eyes as one and it saddens me knowing we will never ever see the like again for our club.