Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Ashley Young is on the move then?

Maybe Downing might play right wing and young might move over there.

Good move for Downing like and will give Villa some more options.

Guest firetotheworks

In comparison to the 12m for Milner I reckon thats a pretty good fee. I reckon he's about 4m better than Milner.

SSN: Villa agree £12m fee for Downing.

£12m!!!!!!????

£24m on Milner and Downing!

almost makes Michael Owen and Luque look like good value

Not quite, Milner and Downing can actually be fairly useful.

If I was a Villa fan I would be happier to see that £12m go towards the defence though. Laursen forced to retire and Bouma struggling they are going to needs some investment on their defence.

Isn't Downing crocked till November or something anyway?

Seems an odd move to spend £12m on a player who plays in the same position as your current best attacking player. It'd be a shame to see Young move on, but he'd be a good signing for any of the top 4 imo, particularly Arsenal who could do with some width and a bit more direct attacking play.

Guest Stephen927

Might switch Young over to the right flank or just keep the pair of them switching over flanks with Milner as a back up, rotation player.

Downing will flourish at Villa. Unlike Milner he actually has serious talent with still more room to grow.

I believe Downing even has the potential to play centrally and could very well step right into Barry's former position.

If I was O'Neill though I would just push Milner into right back and hope he develops there. It's the only position I could ever really see Milner perhaps being decent in. His work rate and stamina would be good assets at right back and his average attacking ability will look better as a right back also.

Downing is decent enough but he is a very over-rated player.

He's one of those that seems very highly rated by those within the game (i.e. managers) but not so much by fans. A bit like Jenas in that regard.

Guest Stephen927

ashley young was linked with chelsea couple months back, wasn't he?

Linked with Manchester United just last week. Ferguson says no more signings though, whether he's telling the truth or not...