Other clubs' transfers

Dave

I love the media. "man City are skint" 24 hours later "Man City bid £12m for player"

Never heard of a publicity stunt?

City ARE fucked, it's obvious that this insufficient Santa Cruz bid was just to distract the fans from what is really going on and make them think everything is ok because they're bidding for big names.

How are they fucked? The only thing that has happened is their owner has lost money he was never putting into the club anyway. They stopped a transfer going through last week that would have raised 8.5m, you dont do that if youre financially fucked.

I love the media. "man City are skint" 24 hours later "Man City bid £12m for player"

Never heard of a publicity stunt?

City ARE f***ed, it's obvious that this insufficient Santa Cruz bid was just to distract the fans from what is really going on and make them think everything is ok because they're bidding for big names.

How are they f***ed? The only thing that has happened is their owner has lost money he was never putting into the club anyway. They stopped a transfer going through last week that would have raised 8.5m, you dont do that if youre financially f***ed.

I take it you missed the story where he had to borrow £2m from the former chairman just to pay the wage bill?

re: the whole Corluka & Steven Ireland fiasco, the players were being sold behind the managers back to raise funds until he found out and threatened to walk. It would cost them more than the Corluka money just to pay up the contracts of Hughes and his new team and bring in another manager. Not to mention getting the fans up in arms.

Reason to be optimistic about signing Arshavin.

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/301380

Basically, direct quotes from the Zenit president saying negotiations have recommenced, there are now only small disagreements, Zenit have decided to reduce Arshavin's price (they don't say to what) and it should become clear on Friday night (which hopefully means it should be finalised).

Significant upgrade on Keane imho.  Not tested in a major league but shows up well in most internationals.

I have a feeling Arshavin wont do too well. Interesting to see still...

I bet he flops.

He may need time to settle coming from a lesser league, just like Modric may need time to settle for the same reason.  But I don't honestly think either will be a flop.

Basically, direct quotes from the Zenit president saying negotiations have recommenced, there are now only small disagreements, Zenit have decided to reduce Arshavin's price (they don't say to what) and it should become clear on Friday night (which hopefully means it should be finalised).

Significant upgrade on Keane imho.  Not tested in a major league but shows up well in most internationals.

Significant upgrade based on what evidence?  And in his most important international, the Euro 2008 semis, he might as well have not been on the pitch.

I have a feeling Arshavin wont do too well. Interesting to see still...

I bet he flops.

He may need time to settle coming from a lesser league, just like Modric may need time to settle for the same reason.  But I don't honestly think either will be a flop.

I agree, but I also think if either is an overwheming success, they'll be gone within 18-24 months. Just seems to be the way with spurs, and why they'll never effectively challenge the 'big 4'...

So does David Healy.

Significant upgrade based on what evidence?  And in his most important international, the Euro 2008 semis, he might as well have not been on the pitch.

Funny how everybody on here seems to be convinced that Colo is a significant upgrade on our current centre backs when the same reasoning applies.. I have no doubt about Arhsavin, he is a class act and will do well at Spurs. Wish we went in for him when we seemingly had the chance.

Based on all the Euro games with the exception of the semi-final and the fact that Keane disappeared in as many matches that he starred in.  Keane is talented but if he starts armwaving in the first 10 minutes, the manager might as well substitute him there and then because he won't do anything of any note.  The CL match against the Belgians was a good example of that.

Funny how everybody on here seems to be convinced that Colo is a significant upgrade on our current centre backs when the same reasoning applies.. I have no doubt about Arhsavin, he is a class act and will do well at Spurs. Wish we went in for him when we seemingly had the chance.

Yeah Russian league is just as good as Spanish  :lol:

Based on all the Euro games with the exception of the semi-final and the fact that Keane disappeared in as many matches that he starred in.  Keane is talented but if he starts armwaving in the first 10 minutes, the manager might as well substitute him there and then because he won't do anything of any note.  The CL match against the Belgians was a good example of that.

Only played in two didn't he?

I think he'll probably do well but it's by no means certain. If he's going to play as a striker, his Zenit goal record's not up to much.

Yeah Russian league is just as good as Spanish  :lol:

And Taylor's of the same standard as Keane of course.

:clap:

This.  If Arshavin (or Modric, or Cuellar, or whoever else other Prem clubs bring in from overseas) had been signing for us, you can GUARANTEE that there would be a positive buzz on these boards around it.  Yet because they sign for another club, suddenly we doubt their credentials in a manner we wouldn't do for ourselves.  I'll support NUFC as much as it's possible to do so, but I HATE it when people get all sour grapes on other clubs' players because they aren't coming to us (regardless of whether we were linked with them or not).  There is no less reason to believe that Jonas will flop than there is Arshavin.  Yet I'll bet that a straw poll would reveal that more people think Arshavin would flop in this league than those that feel Jonas would.

Fair enough if people GENUINELY don't rate a player, but I believe in more cases than not people don't give other team's signings the credit they deserve.  You can do that without being any less of a Newcastle fan, it doesn't hurt.

Good post geordieglory.

especially this bit:

Yet I'll bet that a straw poll would reveal that more people think Arshavin would flop in this league than those that feel Arshavin would.