Other clubs' transfers

Dave

German side Wolfsburg managed to sign Andrea Barzagli from Palermo........class defender who was one of the Italy 2006 World Cup winners. Quite a coup

Jesus,  he's quality.  If only we had scouts in Italy instead of Ligue 1, which I doubt anyway Wise just has Virgin Media tv and gets it free on setanta from his plush London home.

right, I've been in London since Saturday, arrived back up here yesterday afternoon.  Met some of my Spud relatives, and they're just as bad as bloody Martin Jol.  I never asked them, but I will ask MJ this now.  Is your name Ged, Ken or Scott?  Are you related to me?

Don't even know where they get so much bollocks from, its not the Evening Standard, I can tell you that, 'cos I read it every day when I was down there and its just page after page of Chelsea...

No and I don't think so! :lol:

NEWCASTLE United's hopes of landing Bafetimbi Gomis have been hit – by the forward's sensational arrival on the international scene.

Gomis was yesterday named in Raymond Domenech's 23-man France squad for next month's European Championships.

The 22-year-old St Etienne striker edged out Olympique Marseille's Djibril Cisse – another player Newcastle have been looking at in recent months – with both Les Bleus' goals in Sunday's 2-0 win over Ecuador.

And Gomis' inclusion puts him firmly in the shop window this summer, something which will please his club, which has reportedly already hiked up his price tag to beyond £14m.

Should he set Euro 2008 alight, then United – who will not be among the Premier League's big spenders this summer – will be forced out of the race to sign Gomis, who became the first player to score twice on his France debut since Zinedine Zidance achieved the feat back in 1994.

Newcastle have watched Gomis a number of times, with Kevin Keegan himself making a personal check on him in a fixture against Paris Saint-Germain earlier this month.

Executive director (football) Dennis Wise has also travelled to France to watch Gomis, who has been labelled the new Didier Drogba.

Drogba himself is a player United had lost out on four years ago, with Chelsea breaking the bank to sign him after he helped Marseille dump Newcastle out of the UEFA Cup at the semi-final stage in 2003-04.

Another of Domenech's rising stars – Marseille forward Samir Nasri – is also being tracked by the club, while his Stade Velodrome team-mate Cisse also could come into the equation.

While Gomis and Nasri's participation in Austria and Switzerland – in which France are in a group of death along with Italy, Holland and Romania – will most likely inflate their price tags, the opposite is true of the ex-Liverpool striker, who left Anfield last summer in a £6m deal.

Meanwhile, Newcastle forward Obafemi Martins is understood to have been ruled out of Nigeria's opening World Cup qualifier against South Africa in Abuja on Sunday through injury.

Didn't he turn us down last Summer?

Fat Sam wanted players with EPL experience (see link)  so probably did not even bid for him (even though we ended up with Cacapa and Enrique).........I don`t think Wolfsburg paid alot either.......so that`s another one lost who we could realistically could have signed considering even a very average German team managed to get him :banghead:

http://origin.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_2610106,00.html

Is that Oliver? As out of touch as ever.

PS - annoys me that the media keep writing 'Executive director (football)' about Wise. I know it's right, but it's just overkill.