Other clubs' transfers

Dave

But that's impossible for City to achieve if they want to bring in the best players in the world. They maybe able to sell their vision to the Bellamys, Givens and Barrys of this world and get away with paying them a poorer wage (like.. 80k!), but when you wanna sign Eto'o, Kaka & Robinho, you have to just lump them with 250k a week and slowly build around a few players like that.

P.s. this is far from great, but thats just how it is man pet.

But why do they need to bring in recognised superstars? There's no reason why they couldn't buy up-and-coming youngsters instead of trying to buy Europe's biggest clubs' star players. They'll have to pay the players double what the biggest clubs would.

I like the way Lerner and O'Neill are going about things at Villa. What Citeh are doing, and what Chelsea did before them is vulgar, and bad for football. At least Chelsea typically pay silly money to a smaller club, which is a good thing. Citeh are trying to make Europe's richest clubs even richer!

But that's impossible for City to achieve if they want to bring in the best players in the world. They maybe able to sell their vision to the Bellamys, Givens and Barrys of this world and get away with paying them a poorer wage (like.. 80k!), but when you wanna sign Eto'o, Kaka & Robinho, you have to just lump them with 250k a week and slowly build around a few players like that.

But why do they need to bring in recognised superstars? There's no reason why they couldn't buy up-and-coming youngsters instead of trying to buy Europe's biggest clubs' star players. They'll have to pay the players double what the biggest clubs would.

I like the way Lerner and O'Neill are going about things at Villa. What Citeh are doing, and what Chelsea did before them is vulgar, and bad for football. At least Chelsea typically pay silly money to a smaller club, which is a good thing. Citeh are trying to make Europe's richest clubs even richer!

Got no problem at all with what City are doing and it makes me laugh when the "big 4" clubs' fans have a whinge, when the reason they've pulled so far away from the rest of the pack is down to over-inflated prize money in the Champions League.

Good luck to them I say, and I hope they get top 4 next season at either Arsenal or Liverpool's expense.

Guest Heneage

Fixed that for you mate.

Cheers mate I'm rather pap at posting Youtube's. :lol:

I can't hear what he's saying but he's put the podge on.

Babantude looks like Lucho could actually join you, Portuguese media saying he will hold negotiations in the next few days.

Because they want results now, not in 5 years time. I'm sure they've full intention to do both tbf.

It aint pretty, but it just might work.

what, paying over the odds for English players :D ........ok not to city or chelseas extent but MON seems to overpay for average players

Milner 12m, Davies 10m, Reo Coker 8.5m, Luke Young 6.5m, Sidwell 5m, Harewood 4m ,Heskey 4m(free 6 months later) etc

Got no problem at all with what City are doing and it makes me laugh when the "big 4" clubs' fans have a whinge, when the reason they've pulled so far away from the rest of the pack is down to over-inflated prize money in the Champions League.

Good luck to them I say, and I hope they get top 4 next season at either Arsenal or Liverpool's expense.

Prize money from a Football competition vs money that has no connection with Football given to them for nowt by arabs, yeah just the same that like :nope:

Nixon is correct about Porto, excellent negotiators. However I do think they will at least consider a bid of the size for Lucho. He's a player approaching the peak of his career. If they want to move him on it will have to be in the next couple of years. The amazing thing about the club is they are confidence in their scouting system. If they move a player on they know they will soon fine a young lad who will grow to fill his boots for next to nothing.

Porto are a selling club, they find players for peanuts and move them on for massive prices. They've done well to hold on to the likes of Alves, Lucho, Meireles and Lopez for as long as they have. The problem is for them they can't stop players moving to the brighter lights of the major European leagues, if Lucho wants to go sooner or later he will go, but it will be on their terms.

Marseille need to show ambition this season with Lyon is a transition, if they play their cards right they can attract the likes of Lucho. For me the biggest problem for them isn't whether Porto want to flog, or whether the player wants to leave Porto, but attracting him to the division. The quality of the French league is only a step or two above the league he's currently in. I think he'll be looking for a move to the likes of England, Spain, Italy or maybe even Germany before he considers France.

Lucho is at the peak now he's 27/28 this is where he will be his prime. It's true what you say about peanut purchases what you forget though is that Lucho was not one of these, he cost them £12m this is a big fee for a team in Portugal, and I can guarantee that River will have a sell on clause of sorts, be it 5% or as much as 25%. So when you subtract that from the £18m it's an even smaller profit margain, 5m is nothing massive to them, they could build a tidy squad with the potential 15m from Cissokho, as Jesualdo is great at buying good cheap players and getting them to work well.

Alves is a different story, in my opinion he went very unnoticed until 2006 and even then he was over shadowed by the emergence and brilliance of Pepe in Porto's back line, when you consider Pepe went for €30m to Madird, you can see that Porto by no means need to accept this bid for Lucho, they have other salable assets that could go, and that money could be used for a pay rise for Lucho or in buying replacements who are just as good if not potentially better, Fernando to me has the potential to take Lucho's crown in Porto and become the new midfield general, he was nothing short of Brilliant against Man Utd at Old trafford, and this is all before we actually discuss if Lucho would even consider France, this move will be his last big move really, and France isn't really in the top 3 leagues in Europe. If I was looking for a player to nab from Porto I'd go for Cristian Rodriquez, a tricky winger that has looked really good since leaving PSG.

I'd be amazed if they sell to Marseille for that price honestly, I'd expect a late bid from Inter or even Madrid/Chelsea as for £18m you won't get many better than Lucho Gonzalez.

I'm unsure what the conversion rate was at the time but Porto paid two installments for Lucho. they paid about 3.5 million Euros to River Plate and about 6.5 million Euros to Global Soccer Agencies at a later date. Like I say I'm not sure what the Euro was to the pound when both installments were paid but they will still make a fair profit on the lad.

Porto are such a unique club because they don't need to sell players. The Dragao built in 2003 was essentially paid for by the sponsors. They also receive massive profits from merchandising and television rights (to name a couple of things) in several different sports, yet one of of their largest sources of income is still flogging football players.

It's because of the unique nature of the league they play in. Players from South America move to Portugal for a few years so they are eligible to play in Europe then bugger off to one of the bigger leagues, very few reamain loyal. There's little they can do to hold on to their better players. The fact they haven't moved to bring in a replacement this window might be telling, although there's still plenty of time. Fernando is a very different player, unless of course they plan to play Mereiles in the middle of the park.

So for me the money has little to do with it, it's whether Lucho would really consider a move to France, like you say I really can't see it and I can see one the larger European clubs intervening.

Prize money from a Football competition vs money that has no connection with Football given to them for nowt by arabs, yeah just the same that like :nope:

It's only since the ridiculous prize money's came in though that they've pulled that far away.

If it had been similar money and top 4 qualifying for it mid 90s, we'd have been one of those clubs still now imo. If outside money is what it takes to close the gap, as unfortunate as it is, I think it's good for the Premiership. Happier to see the likes of Barry to Man City for £17m than Liverpool for £12m just because no one else can afford to stop him joining one of the established clubs.

Guest Stephen927

Blackburn eye Van Nistelrooy move

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/8122158.stm

Probably already been posted as it's a day old. Michael Owen will be suing him over the following comment:

Meanwhile, Allardyce has ruled out a move for Michael Owen, who he managed at Newcastle during the early part of the 2007-08 season.

The England striker's contract expires at the end of June and the 29-year-old, who is available on a free transfer, has made it clear he wants to leave the Magpies for a Premier League club.

However, Allardyce said: "I just question the injury scenario.

"I need a striker that's going to be available for 30 games next season. That's not happened for Michael over the last four years."

bluelaugh.gif

Football sold it's soul a long time ago, Chelsea was just the icing on the cake. FIFA should have imposed a limit of sorts on transfers there and then. I was jelous at the time but there would still be a part of me at that winning a trophy in that fashion would be a bit of a hollow victory.

The fact is now if you want to finish in that top four year in year out you have to try something similar to what City are doing, it's wrong. The current crop governing football just seem more interested in making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Guest Heneage

Nixon is correct about Porto, excellent negotiators. However I do think they will at least consider a bid of the size for Lucho. He's a player approaching the peak of his career. If they want to move him on it will have to be in the next couple of years. The amazing thing about the club is they are confidence in their scouting system. If they move a player on they know they will soon fine a young lad who will grow to fill his boots for next to nothing.

Porto are a selling club, they find players for peanuts and move them on for massive prices. They've done well to hold on to the likes of Alves, Lucho, Meireles and Lopez for as long as they have. The problem is for them they can't stop players moving to the brighter lights of the major European leagues, if Lucho wants to go sooner or later he will go, but it will be on their terms.

Marseille need to show ambition this season with Lyon is a transition, if they play their cards right they can attract the likes of Lucho. For me the biggest problem for them isn't whether Porto want to flog, or whether the player wants to leave Porto, but attracting him to the division. The quality of the French league is only a step or two above the league he's currently in. I think he'll be looking for a move to the likes of England, Spain, Italy or maybe even Germany before he considers France.

Lucho is at the peak now he's 27/28 this is where he will be his prime. It's true what you say about peanut purchases what you forget though is that Lucho was not one of these, he cost them £12m this is a big fee for a team in Portugal, and I can guarantee that River will have a sell on clause of sorts, be it 5% or as much as 25%. So when you subtract that from the £18m it's an even smaller profit margain, 5m is nothing massive to them, they could build a tidy squad with the potential 15m from Cissokho, as Jesualdo is great at buying good cheap players and getting them to work well.

Alves is a different story, in my opinion he went very unnoticed until 2006 and even then he was over shadowed by the emergence and brilliance of Pepe in Porto's back line, when you consider Pepe went for €30m to Madird, you can see that Porto by no means need to accept this bid for Lucho, they have other salable assets that could go, and that money could be used for a pay rise for Lucho or in buying replacements who are just as good if not potentially better, Fernando to me has the potential to take Lucho's crown in Porto and become the new midfield general, he was nothing short of Brilliant against Man Utd at Old trafford, and this is all before we actually discuss if Lucho would even consider France, this move will be his last big move really, and France isn't really in the top 3 leagues in Europe. If I was looking for a player to nab from Porto I'd go for Cristian Rodriquez, a tricky winger that has looked really good since leaving PSG.

I'd be amazed if they sell to Marseille for that price honestly, I'd expect a late bid from Inter or even Madrid/Chelsea as for £18m you won't get many better than Lucho Gonzalez.

I'm unsure what the conversion rate was at the time but Porto paid two installments for Lucho. they paid about 3.5 million Euros to River Plate and about 6.5 million Euros to Global Soccer Agencies at a later date. Like I say I'm not sure what the Euro was to the pound when both installments were paid but they will still make a fair profit on the lad.

Porto are such a unique club because they don't need to sell players. The Dragao built in 2003 was essentially paid for by the sponsors. They also receive massive profits from merchandising and television rights (to name a couple of things) in several different sports, yet one of of their largest sources of income is still flogging football players.

It's because of the unique nature of the league they play in. Players from South America move to Portugal for a few years so they are eligible to play in Europe then bugger off to one of the bigger leagues, very few reamain loyal. There's little they can do to hold on to their better players. The fact they haven't moved to bring in a replacement this window might be telling, although there's still plenty of time. Fernando is a very different player, unless of course they plan to play Mereiles in the middle of the park.

So for me the money has little to do with it, it's whether Lucho would really consider a move to France, like you say I really can't see it and I can see one the larger European clubs intervening.

Ian you forgot the citations on your post mate.  :razz:

If they decide to accept the bid than I think they won't sell Bruno Alves and maybe Lisandro, he is still really being tracked by Inter but they are being very coy as they know for a fact Porto will want at least €25m and won't accept Quaresma and he probably won't go back to be honest.

Well they were linked to FM legend Diego Buonanotte but he just looks way too small for European football, he's about 157 when you consider Messi is 169 it makes you realise just how small the guy is. Meireles is the potential technical replacement for Lucho but the like you say the lack of a replacement may be telling then we don't know who the Porto board are looking at, they are very quick when it comes to transfers, they've bought a few full backs, but should they lose Gonzalez, it's vital they get not just a midfielder but a leader and potentially new captain letting Alves take the role for the time being.

Ian you forgot the citations on your post mate.  :razz:

If they decide to accept the bid than I think they won't sell Bruno Alves and maybe Lisandro, he is still really being tracked by Inter but they are being very coy as they know for a fact Porto will want at least €25m and won't accept Quaresma and he probably won't go back to be honest.

Well they were linked to FM legend Diego Buonanotte but he just looks way too small for European football, he's about 157 when you consider Messi is 169 it makes you realise just how small the guy is. Meireles is the potential technical replacement for Lucho but the like you say the lack of a replacement may be telling then we don't know who the Porto board are looking at, they are very quick when it comes to transfers, they've bought a few full backs, but should they lose Gonzalez, it's vital they get not just a midfielder but a leader and potentially new captain letting Alves take the role for the time being.

Porto are my adopted European team you pleb. :laugh:

Aye I can't see them flogging Alves and Lucho in the same window or they'll be leaderless on the park. Alves came through the academy so any potential profit will be a decent one. The problem is there were some clubs said to be sniffing around Alves last summer and even then they weren't willing to pay too high a price if speculation is too be believed. Combine that with the clanger he dropped against Man United and in they end they might actually make a bigger profit on Lucho.

Lopez is a different situation entirely. I'm shocked he's stayed as long as he has to be honest. If Inter come calling I can see his head being turned and with Porto having already signed a couple of strikers this summer and their high hopes they have for Hulk he will be a sellable asset, like I say though they don't need to sell him so they can essentially name a price and haggle from there. I can't see Quaresma going back I don't think they could wait to see the back of him.

Guest Heneage

I don't think it's a case of Lopez wanting to stay it's Porto wanting a good fee, he's enjoyed his time in Porto but I think he's ready to go now. I'd be amazed if any team judges Alves on one mistake against Man United yet ignore how great he was at Old Trafford in the air and how good he's been the last two years. His departure will depend solely on the offers that come forth, he like Lucho is hitting the peak of a career and if they don't sell now or next summer I don't see him ever going.

Quaresma I think was adored by the fans as he brought excitement to El Dragao as well as tremendous service for Lisandro,  with a right foot and the Trivela technique that puts Stewart Downings left foot to shame. It was the right time to sell him and they got a tremendous fee for him, they don't really have a player like him right now and I'd struggle to find one who they could buy he's quite unique in his style. I think in the end the board wanted to sell him more than the fans but even they could see the offer was great despite the porr showings of Pele.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the likes of Cissokho, Sapunaru and possibly Meireles who I still think will stay in Portugal his entire career. They still have enough to win the liga but Hulk could do with stepping up, I think Benfica and Sporting have just continued in their horrendous transfer policy of over the hill players (Aimar and Saviola at Benfica)or youngsters that haven't fulfilled potential. (Fernandez at Sporting)

I'm cynical but I genuine believe some clubs are daft enough to judge him on one error of judgement.

Regarding Quaresma the fans loved him until he became lazy and to some arrogant. Unrest about his performances was begining to creep in. But yeah I was talking about the board rather than the fans in the post above.