Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Elmander is a good player, and even if he is not the best player of all time its kind of worrying that we didnt even check him out.

I wonder what kind of players we are actually looking for.

16 years old long hair and blond youths?

How do you know that?

ITK, tbh.

What a w***** Adebayor is.

Why? What happened?

Said at a press conference he was staying at Arsenal.

Said to a SSN reporter straight afterwards (on camera) that his future was not yet decided, and he had a number of decisions still to make.

I'd be well fucked off if I were an Arsenal fan.

Johan Elmander will sign for Bolton today according to Swedish media. £8m they say....so he's probably Phil Gartsides "unnamed striker".

Has signed for undisclosed fee

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3747201,00.html

Should be a good signing for them. After all, he got Toulouse into the Champions League the other year, and was troubled by injuries this season. His Euro performance is of no interest since he played on the wing for some reason. He has also shown his ability on a higher level when he scored against Spain and had a terrific all round performance against them last fall. Good signing for Bolton!

Good player, interesting to see how he copes with having the ball belted at him from all angles.

Suggested him in the other thread as a Viduka replacement.

Guest Heneage

Not quite clever enough to be a Viduka, one of hte best things about Dukes is his ability to link up Owen and Martins.

Not quite clever enough to be a Viduka, one of hte best things about Dukes is his ability to link up Owen and Martins.

Agree, but he is big,strong & difficult to shake off the ball so he could be a focal point. Viduka is one of only a few big lads who have mastered the art of playing football along with the Zlat

Bolton spending £10m on a striker should be a sign for Ashley, it has to be said.

:frantic:

Dave's list of 'oooh, these haven't signed anyone of importance yet' gets smaller and smaller doesn't it?  :razz:

Guest Heneage

Agree, but he is big,strong & difficult to shake off the ball so he could be a focal point. Viduka is one of only a few big lads who have mastered the art of playing football along with the Zlat

I just look at instances like Tottenham for Owens goal, would Elmander have the nounce todo that. My dad drew my attention to the cheeky flick.

Derspite the flack that he gets Viduka is a class act.  Fitness permitting (a big doubt I realise) he could get us to where we want to go in the short term.  It may be an unpopular view but I genuinely don't think it is essential to sign a striker this window as we already have six.  However, we need at least 2 midfielders, a centre back and at least one full back

Derspite the flack that he gets Viduka is a class act.  Fitness permitting (a big doubt I realise) he could get us to where we want to go in the short term.  It may be an unpopular view but I genuinely don't think it is essential to sign a striker this window as we already have six.  However, we need at least 2 midfielders, a centre back and at least one full back

Who are the six?

Owen, Martins, Viduka, Shola, Carroll, Smith?

Only three of those are worthy of the title 'striker' though, and Vids will miss the start of the season, potentially a month or two more as well.

Yip they're the 6.  Smith will be going nowhere I'd wager so will be the back up for the Duke (who may be injured for the start of the season but will be back soon enough)  Shola will probs go in the window, but we have the likes of Zamblera waiting in the wings.  Don't get me wrong we could do with another top class striker - but I said it wasn't essential.  There is much remedial work to be done in the other 2 thirds first

I think it is essential personally. Martins is the only one who you can hang your hopes on getting more than 20 games out of, Shola's likely away (and crap) and Smith is the player least likely to score in the entire squad.

I know "give him time" and all that but I'm with Heneage, I don't think Carroll's good enough or ever will be.

I think it is essential personally. Martins is the only one who you can hang your hopes on getting more than 20 games out of, Shola's likely away (and crap) and Smith is the player least likely to score in the entire squad.

I know "give him time" and all that but I'm with Heneage, I don't think Carroll's good enough or ever will be.

Agree with that unfortunately. Not questioning his effort but he just doesn't appear to be up to the standard required. If he was good enough then he'd be braying the manager's door down with his performances but he, sadly, looks like the next Kevin Kyle from what I've seen. :(