Peter Beardsley, on the legends, 6 years to break top 4

cp40

Allardyce reckoned it would take 5 and was slaughtered for it.

Allardyce put us back at least two.

lol, im no expert at Maths, but if he took us back two years in 6 months.

How long would it take him to get us back to 1955, and an FA cup win.

If he stuck around long enough, could he take us back to 1927?

Guest The Libertine

whats with all this "top 4" talk recently? its embarrassing as hell. we've just avoided relegation and there's about 4 or 5 teams ahead of us in the "potential top 4" line.

whats with all this "top 4" talk recently? its embarrassing as hell. we've just avoided relegation and there's about 4 or 5 teams ahead of us in the "potential top 4" line.

think thats what pb was getting at

Guest Dr. Richard Kimble

lol, im no expert at Maths, but if he took us back two years in 6 months.

How long would it take him to get us back to 1955, and an FA cup win.

If he stuck around long enough, could he take us back to 1927?

Haha ha - he took us back so fast we missed, it was just a blur. We got stuck in the ice age. As you say maybe if he'd stuck around we could rewind to the big bang.

I heard Tyler and Gray during the Newcastle - Chelsea game sniggering about the fans wanting to challenge for the Champions League place next year, I thought it was just them basing it on stereotypes like Newcaste fans wanting to much. Its not even realistic that we would finish in the top 4 next season, however on the chance we did I bet Sky would be all over it like flies on s**t.

I heard Tyler and Gray during the Newcastle - Chelsea game sniggering about the fans wanting to challenge for the Champions League place next year, I thought it was just them basing it on stereotypes like Newcaste fans wanting to much. Its not even realistic that we would finish in the top 4 next season, however on the chance we did I bet Sky would be all over it like flies on s**t.

i heard that also, cunts

getting into the champion's league is the ambition for the 2nd tier clubs who are ambitious, but that is a long term target. next season is about closing the gap on everton and villa (and spurs even as i think they are far better than this season's league position) and leapfrogging teams like blackburn or west ham. if anyone should be sniggering at unrealistic opinions, it's us at the media myth-makers like Gray who talk out of their arse.

I'm getting a bit sick of this Top Four nonsense.

As I see it, these are just the four clubs who have recently been in the top four places in the league. It takes no time at all for one of these teams to mess things up and fall away.

A few years ago, it was the Big 5: Manyoo, Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea. The previous year, it was the Big 3: Manyoo, Arsenal, Newcastle. That year, around March/April, Sky were advertising the title as a three horse race.

At this point, Chelsea and Liverpool were just like us and Spurs. In fact, since the Premiership has started, we've effectively put in four genuine title challenges (as in still there into the final quarter of the season) - that is four more than Liverpool I reckon.

Our two falls from grace (under Dalglish and Souness) effectively came at times when we were in the top 3 of the richest English clubs.

What I'm effectively trying to say is that nothing is set in stone and never will be.

As I see it, these are just the four clubs who have recently been in the top four places in the league. It takes no time at all for one of these teams to mess things up and fall away.

A few years ago, it was the Big 5: Manyoo, Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea. The previous year, it was the Big 3: Manyoo, Arsenal, Newcastle. That year, around March/April, Sky were advertising the title as a three horse race.

At this point, Chelsea and Liverpool were just like us and Spurs. In fact, since the Premiership has started, we've effectively put in four genuine title challenges (as in still there into the final quarter of the season) - that is four more than Liverpool I reckon.

Our two falls from grace (under Dalglish and Souness) effectively came at times when we were in the top 3 of the richest English clubs.

What I'm effectively trying to say is that nothing is set in stone and never will be.

:thup:

exactly. there was a "big 5" in the late eighties than even included Everton ffs! shows how transitory it can be. the one thing that is bolstering the primacy of the top 4 is champion's league money. but with increased domestic tv money this has slightly less importance. now every club in the league can afford to spend shitloads. all it takes is for a bungled takeover at Arsenal for them to lose Wenger and slide down the league, for Liverpool to implode (looking likely) and Ambramovich to get bored/die in a suspicious car crash/fall foul of the govt. man utd are probably the one club who seem entrenched up there but even they could appoint Queiroz once fergie is off, have a bit of a slump and then need to flog their stars to pay the debts.

Guest optimistic nit

:lol:

Exactly, if only everyone would realise this there would be no mountain being made out of a mole hill.  Though I'm sure the press would still be doing there best to build everest out of it..

Spot on.

Guest BudBud

:smitten: Souness. With out him we would be traveling to shit-tips like Barcelona instead of the exotic Birmingham. Souness is my home boy.

What kind of number is 6 years? I mean why 6? Also i think hes talking bollocks tbh, will it take Man City 6 years? and they were relegation fodder last season. With the money we have and the size of this club 6 years is bull shit, also look at the players already here, abit of attacking flair in the midfield and we would be top 8 ffs.

sad but true!

Pretty sure TT was joking, Big Sam gave us a good new CB and full backs, that puts us 1 step forward, the midfield is currently terrible in attacking terms, but was it much better before? The only thing Sam did wrong with the midfield is not buy attacking players. If KK gets good midfielders, the right midfielders, a new striker and a new CB or 2 this summer, we will be challenging for Europe next season.

Guest nufc_geordie

exactly. there was a "big 5" in the late eighties than even included Everton ffs! shows how transitory it can be. the one thing that is bolstering the primacy of the top 4 is champion's league money. but with increased domestic tv money this has slightly less importance. now every club in the league can afford to spend shitloads. all it takes is for a bungled takeover at Arsenal for them to lose Wenger and slide down the league, for Liverpool to implode (looking likely) and Ambramovich to get bored/die in a suspicious car crash/fall foul of the govt. man utd are probably the one club who seem entrenched up there but even they could appoint Queiroz once fergie is off, have a bit of a slump and then need to flog their stars to pay the debts.

Spot on there!

As published yesterday, man Utds figures are not great and their debt seriously needs restructuring, in fact, the Galziers aren't being allowed to restructure because the liabilities are so high and the credit crunch is stopping them. If things were to get worse they may get into trouble.

Who here would be suprised if Abramovich upped sticks and walked away after winning a champions league or was mysteriously killed? I wouldn't, the Russian government has been slowly picking off it's rich countrymen and putting their money in their own pockets.

As for Liverpool, who would be suprised if this ownership fiasco totally destabalized the club, players wanted to leave and Benitez was forced out? All possibilities. Arsenal have soundest footing but even then they have been subject to a hostile takeover from the Uzbekistani billionaire and I don't imagine that would go down well if he ever got in?

These things are cyclical in football, it's what makes the game so interesting, we should know, we have been the focus for a good few years now, false dawns, new starts etc. All it takes is a simple failed managerial appointment, dodgy owner to walk away and finiancial penalties and it's all over, you start again and try and get back to the top.

I see this Ashley, Mort combination working well. Mort is a solid businessman. He will not waste money, he will not make a panic purchase and he will not sanction a "leeds". We will be ran as an effective business. If that leads to gradual slow improvement season by season I am all for that. Rome wasn't built in a day and I don't know whether it is a maturity thing on here or just plain stupidity but we won't be challenging for the title or top four in a season. We need a sensible approach for a change and hopefully that is what we have got!

nobody can predict how long it will take us to catch up with the top four. Nobody expected us to finish 4th when we signed Bellamy, Robert and Elliott. 3 years into SBR's reign wasn't it?

agree with The Libertine though. Someone needs to tell KK that we're not expecting 4th next season!

I dont think its impossible but dont expect it anytime soon , Liverpool are 30 points ahead of us in 4th place, are we capable of adding 10more wins onto next season? i cant see where they would come from, 5-6 more possible maybe.

I dont think its impossible but dont expect it anytime soon , Liverpool are 30 points ahead of us in 4th place, are we capable of adding 10more wins onto next season? i cant see where they would come from, 5-6 more possible maybe.

I would say that 'IF' Keegan had been in charge from the start of the season still with the same players as he's going to end it with we'd be futher up the table than 12th, not in the top 6 but higher than we are now. For one, i'd bet we'd have had 6 points off Derby to start with.

Man City were relatively gash last season, but within one summer have jumped into the 'possible clubs to challenge' bracket.

We're going to have to wait and see who he/they bring in during the summer and how that works before we know how far away we're from the better teams like Liverpool.

Also, just to throw this in the mix, sometimes a season can be made or bust if one or two of your top players get injured. If Torres had (and I wouldn't wish it on anyone) broken his leg 2 months into the season I don't think they would be where they are now, similarly if West Ham's treatment table wasn't littered with most of their better players (Bellemy/Dyer (when fit)/etc) I think they'd be higher up that now. All i'm getting at with this is sometimes, just sometimes things can happen which you don't have any control over but makes a huge difference to where it puts you.