Clear the Air Talks ?

NE5

Guest sanj17

Let's be honest. Tomorrow's tabloids will exclusively provide details of what happened at the meeting.  Most likely phrase used will be "a source close to the board confirmed blah blah blah..........."

<snip>

it's nothing one big signature signing won't put right though.

Completely wrong.

Old-style (Freddy Shepherd) "one-off" trophy signings will achieve nothing, other than confirm that we are still second-rank 'triers / failures'.

That doesn't make any sense. So buying a world class player at a high fee would confirm us as second rank triers? What would buying second rank players do then?

Hopefully, if anything Keegans involvlement in transfer dealing is discussed and agreed upon because i think it'd be a major flaw if they dont include him - he has an affitnity with this club and is one of only a few who really genuinely understand the club that they are at there is noone in this entire club who knows it better than him so it strikes me as odd to leave him out of the process. (If he's to be belived about his level of involvment).

I still agree though with some of what bobyule has said- people may write it off as the same as "media bilge" but i think he makes a valid point, Keegan should not have said what he had said. I've made this point before but if people were to honestly ask themselves what their reaction would be had the owner or chairman said those staements in such similarly determined fashoin, would you still harbour the same dismissive thoughts??

The chairman did say the same thing as Keegan.   bluelaugh.gif

Really? I could of sworn that the words came out of Keegans mouth : Chris Mort - Chairman extraordinaire and world class ventriluquist. Who'da thunk it?

I can't see Keegan getting the push, but a meeting being termed 'productive and constructive' is lawyer-speak for 'no comment'.

Sorry, but I think a lot of people on here haven't grasped the damage that Keegan has done. He's the public face of a team, which includes Ashley, Mort, Vetere and Wise, all of whom are working to attract the best players they can to the club and to build for the future. When the manager comes out with such a discouraging message, he's disrespecting and undermining the people that are actually working very hard for him. That was why he was summoned to that meeting in double quick time. He may have seriously harmed morale within this group, and jeopardised their confidence in him.

Everything you have written of late has put a negative spin on information that is not necessarily negative and some information that is pure speculation. It reads as badly as the bile produced from the various papers in this country over the last few days regarding NUFC.

If you could back your statements with facts there wouldn't be an issue. The fact is unless you've spoken to Mike Ashley you have NO IDEA what he thinks. So don't make out like you do.

Top quality post bobyule.

While none of us 'know' all the facts, that sums up exactly how I read the situation too.

The impact of what Keegan said will be felt in many individual situations (that we will never know about or be told about) for the forseeable future. The impact will always be negative, unfortunately.

He has let a sort of 'genie' out of the bottle (by admitting in public that we are a second-rank club) and it will take a very long time to put it back in the bottle  -  if ever.

Keegans words could well prove to be quite "self-fulfilling" in fact!

Making this club successful and an attractive place for top footballers to play, is now much more difficult than it was before he spoke.

Completely wrong.

Old-style (Freddy Shepherd) "one-off" trophy signings will achieve nothing , other than confirm that we are still second-rank 'triers / failures'.

haha .........  mackems.gif

except european qualification and Champions League football

you couldn't make it up.

Care to name these "trophy players " ? ......... before you do, consider what the trophy winners do

If he wins, there will be a canny few u-turns when these "trophy signings" walk through the door, thats for sure.

The club is in an entirely different situation to what it was under Shepherd. Amongst other things, the club is now debt free and it is owned by a BILLIONAIRE, who is prepared to put his own money in to finance things, unlike before when it was owned by a group of people who were nowhere near as rich and were not prepared to back the club with their own money.

It's not a u-turn to recommend to a tramp that he doesn't get a loan so he can spend a night at a posh hotel, then change your advice after the tramp wins the lottery. The situation has changed and the advice has changed accordingly.

I know you know this, whether you're prepared to admit it publicly or not is another matter, so you can PM me your response if you want.

howay man indi, you're one of the more intelligent types........

For starters, nobody has even explained who these "trophy players" are that we bought .........

nor has anybody said that the trophy winning teams don't have these "trophy players" - I take it they mean top quality players ?

What is wrong with trying to get the best players you can, if you don't do that [and many clubs don't] whats the point of it all ?

Real mediocrity is what you will get, a club in mid table or worse and not attempting to do better ? THAT is real mediocrity.

What other sort of footballer wins you trophies, gets you into europe etc ?

If thats your ambition, thats what you need. The only difference between Ashley and the old board, is he may be able to supply more of them [although even I am not demanding he does an Abramovic, just shows the ambition to get into the top spots, the club has the support to be self financing at that level if the manager makes good judgement].

I can't see Keegan getting the push, but a meeting being termed 'productive and constructive' is lawyer-speak for 'no comment'.

Sorry, but I think a lot of people on here haven't grasped the damage that Keegan has done. He's the public face of a team, which includes Ashley, Mort, Vetere and Wise, all of whom are working to attract the best players they can to the club and to build for the future. When the manager comes out with such a discouraging message, he's disrespecting and undermining the people that are actually working very hard for him. That was why he was summoned to that meeting in double quick time. He may have seriously harmed morale within this group, and jeopardised their confidence in him.

Everything you have written of late has put a negative spin on information that is not necessarily negative and some information that is pure speculation. It reads as badly as the bile produced from the various papers in this country over the last few days regarding NUFC.

If you could back your statements with facts there wouldn't be an issue. The fact is unless you've spoken to Mike Ashley you have NO IDEA what he thinks. So don't make out like you do.

Top quality post bobyule.

While none of us 'know' all the facts, that sums up exactly how I read the situation too.

The impact of what Keegan said will be felt in many individual situations (that we will never know about or be told about) for the forseeable future. The impact will always be negative, unfortunately.

He has let a sort of 'genie' out of the bottle (by admitting in public that we are a second-rank club) and it will take a very long time to put it back in the bottle  -  if ever.

Keegans words could well prove to be quite "self-fulfilling" in fact!

Making this club successful and an attractive place for top footballers to play, is now much more difficult than it was before he spoke.

Completely wrong.

Old-style (Freddy Shepherd) "one-off" trophy signings will achieve nothing, other than confirm that we are still second-rank 'triers / failures'.

I think you are missing my point. One off trophy signings are indeed pointless. But in this case a big signing would be a statement of intent which would blow away all the negativity following Keegan's downbeat interview. it would make us an attractive option again and would lift the manager and the support. I don't see how you can see it any differently.

Really? I could of sworn that the words came out of Keegans mouth : Chris Mort - Chairman extraordinaire and world class ventriluquist. Who'da thunk it?

I'm not sure if that was an attempt at humour or a display of ignorance.  :rolleyes:

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun/tm_headline=mort-we-will-back-keegan%26method=full%26objectid=20873382%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

I'm not sure if that was an attempt at humour or a display of ignorance.  :rolleyes:

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun/tm_headline=mort-we-will-back-keegan%26method=full%26objectid=20873382%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

I think you know what i mean. Ill put it simpler for you though - if the Chairman or the owner 4 months into owning the club said breaching the gap between us and the top 4 was "impossible" in the exact same manner that Keegan did what sort of response would you give?

As for your link - well what else was you expecting - a public condemnation of keegans words to a 2 bit journo? Even if he does share the same views he's not openely said it which is very important becasue he's aware of the backlash he'd get. And rightly so. I cant believe you think what Mort has said in response ( i imagine to a direct question) is comparable and the same as an impromptu rant on Sky television.

I think you know what i mean. Ill put it simpler for you though - if the Chairman or the owner 4 months into owning the club said breaching the gap between us and the top 4 was "impossible" in the exact same manner that Keegan did what sort of response would you give?

As for your link - well what else was you expecting - a public condemnation of keegans words to a 2 bit journo? Even if he does share the same views he's not openely said it which is very important becasue he's aware of the backlash he'd get. And rightly so. I cant believe you think what Mort has said in response ( i imagine to a direct question) is comparable and the same as an impromptu rant on Sky television.

Two posts prior to that one you said he hadn't said it :lol:

.........but he hasnt.  :idiot2:

"I think what Keegan says was entirely sensible" - in response to a direct question is hardly the exact same thing with the exact same context as "no matter how much the owner gives we wont break the top for in my time here-  its impossible......etc etc"

Makes sense to me.... :cheesy:

"I think what Keegan says was entirely sensible" - in response to a direct question is hardly the exact same thing with the exact same context as "no matter how much the owner gives we wont break the top for in my time here-  its impossible......etc etc"

“I thought Kevin’s comments were quite sensible.

“I am not sure what people’s expectations are, but I don’t think most Newcastle fans would be greatly surprised by what he had to say.

“There are those who are naturally optimistic, but it does no harm to come out with some realism and say that if we get fifth we will have done well. He’s right.”

Ashley forcing Owen to take £2 m/year paycut to get a new contract, dear me this will be interesting...  :undecided:

Fair enough in my opinion, we're not in europe and we really need to cut down on the wages. 60k a week would be fair for Owen, although i don't think he'd see it that way.

From the Daily mail and reporting that there have already been 6 weeks of negotiations. Now we know this is shite.  brace yourselves for more spurious nonsense this w/e

Guest Thomo

Does anyone believe this shit, how the hell does anyone know what has happened in todays meeting, our best striker and what would we do tell him to take a pay cut, lets live in the real world it is an absolute load of tosh, the sooner we stop buying these newspapers and reading them the better, next we will be saying lets make Alan Smith Captain and give him £120,000 a week because he has been our best player. Sigh !!!!!!!!!!!  :angry:

From the Daily mail and reporting that there have already been 6 weeks of negotiations. Now we know this is s****.  brace yourselves for more spurious nonsense this w/e

TBF I think there will be enough to keep the jornos busy outside of NUFC over the weekend, but once the dust settles on the PL season and silly season opens up again, I'm sure we'll get some more unwanted attention.

“I thought Kevin’s comments were quite sensible.

“I am not sure what people’s expectations are, but I don’t think most Newcastle fans would be greatly surprised by what he had to say.

“There are those who are naturally optimistic, but it does no harm to come out with some realism and say that if we get fifth we will have done well. He’s right.”

So which part is it there that says its impossible to break the top four no matter how much the owner decides to give? I just dont see them in the same context. If you can then fair enough.

All im saying is that if in novemeber Mort came on Sky television and said it would be impossible to break the top 4, the gulf is huge no matter how much Ashley gives, are you actually telling me that you'd condone them in the same manner that you condone Keegans words?

Guest Thomo

What did I bloody tell you !!! Plus KK Has decided to sell Michael Owen to Wycombe Wanderers for £50,000, we may as well make our own rubbish up instead of the papers  :angry:

Just heard rumours Alan Smith will be captain next year, a injury has hold him back this year but Keegan has big plans for him.

Tribalfootball.com

This makes me seeth.

Just heard rumours Alan Smith will be captain next year, a injury has hold him back this year but Keegan has big plans for him.

Tribalfootball.com

This makes me seeth.

If true i wouldn't hold it against anyone if they wanted to give up on NUFC or be a part timer until this dark dark cloud passes over.

Thankfully, there's not a hells chance of him being here next season nevermind captain.

Tribalfootball.com

I just threw up in my mouth a little

(if that turns out to be true)

oh and if this turns out to be true I'm going to be mighty pissed off:

The summer war chest will be around £20million, but if the manager wants more money he will have to sell first.

Guest mobiius

Ashley forcing Owen to take £2 m/year paycut to get a new contract, dear me this will be interesting...  :undecided:

Wheres this from?

Daily Mail

who read's or believes that paper ffs. its a straight up case of one of their prat journ's wanting to get an educated guess in print before the other tabloids get something concrete. I do not believe that for one minute the current regime would allow them fucka's to find out anything :-X(wel not before Anal Oliver-sion had a chance to tell it in an exclusive for the even chronic :yikes:). people seem to forget that we are not dealing with the old regime now, where things were leaked like they were going out of fashion.