Todays Newspaper Rumours...

Guest johnson293

Guest The Libertine

NEWCASTLE winger James Milner is a shock target for Rafa Benitez in a player swap deal.

The Geordies are interested in five Liverpool first-teamers, with John Arne Riise and Jermaine Pennant top of their list.

And Benitez is ready to negotiate an exchange with 22-year-old Milner heading to Anfield.

Milner moved to St James’ Park from Leeds in 2004, and also enjoyed a successful loan spell at Aston Villa, but despite his potential as a teenager he has never made the step up many expected.

Liverpool’s interest in the wide man underlines where Benitez’ priorities lie as he looks to raise funds and juggle his squad with wheeling and dealing.

With Gareth Barry and Borussia Dortmund’s Phillip Degen also among his targets, a summer of exciting purchases does not appear to be on the Anfield agenda.

Norwegian Riise is thought to favour a move to the North East.

He held talks with Benitez last week and was told he can leave Liverpool. Riise was offered to Aston Villa as part of the Barry deal, but will consider his options.

http://blogs.notw.co.uk/sport/2008/05/liverpool-targe.html

With that in mind, I wouldn't put it past them to have a story with the purpose of unsettling the Manyoo strikers.

Where are the quotes?

All I see is Fergie wanting a long term replacement for Giggs.

Man United are always linked players this is hardly going to unsettle them is it.

I have just watched SS & 2 of the reporters who were at the press conference said Fergie made a point/touched on saying he was looking for a experienced striker.

Guest LucaAltieri

I think Man Utd know too well Michael Owen would be a risk to them and there's a chance he would spend more time in injury than on the field.

Exactly, he's replacing Saha.  :coat:

Goin' for Owen

Andy Dunn believes Sir Alex Ferguson will sign Michael Owen

A number of the Sunday papers carry stories of Manchester United swooping for the former Liverpool striker at a cut-price of £7 million.

The News of the World's Andy Dunn believes that Owen, would jump at the chance of jumping the troubled Newcastle ship to play at Old Trafford.

Dunn said: "£7million is the price that Sir Alex Ferguson can buy Owen at now, which is not unreasonable considering he has just one year left on his contract.

"I think he is someone that Sir Alex has looked at for some time but the time has never been right.

"There have been some doubts about Michael's fitness which I think he has proved he can probably get over those with the way he has played in the last three or four months.

"And doubts about the price which Sir Alex has probably felt was a bit inflated at times. He couldn't have moved from Liverpool to Manchester United, I don't think that would have been a possibility."

But Dunn believes the time is right for Fergie to get his man.

Strengthen

"I was at Sir Alex's press conference on Friday and he did say that he was going to strengthen in the summer and he hinted that an experienced striker was what he was looking for as well.

"He spoke about the two big games coming up but then he always lets himself drift into the future, creating this dynasty of players.

"He is the master at strengthening from a position of strength, which is what he did last summer, he brought Hargreaves, Tevez, Nani and Anderson.

"I think this is one area where probably thinks Giggs has got one season left, maybe one and a half. He's got young kids like Danny Welbeck and Manucho who has been on loan at Panathinaikos.

"Maybe he's thinking he can get in an experienced striker and then bed the kids in.

"He's always thinking ahead. I just think Owen is a player who he always thought 'I wonder what he would be like in a Manchester United side'

"The circumstances are right, clearly with the trouble at Newcastle Michael won't sign a contract extension and take a pay cut, why should he?

"So he can get Owen now, effectively on the cheap."

Goin' for Owen

Andy Dunn believes Sir Alex Ferguson will sign Michael Owen

A number of the Sunday papers carry stories of Manchester United swooping for the former Liverpool striker at a cut-price of £7 million.

The News of the World's Andy Dunn believes that Owen, would jump at the chance of jumping the troubled Newcastle ship to play at Old Trafford.

Dunn said: "£7million is the price that Sir Alex Ferguson can buy Owen at now, which is not unreasonable considering he has just one year left on his contract.

"I think he is someone that Sir Alex has looked at for some time but the time has never been right.

"There have been some doubts about Michael's fitness which I think he has proved he can probably get over those with the way he has played in the last three or four months.

"And doubts about the price which Sir Alex has probably felt was a bit inflated at times. He couldn't have moved from Liverpool to Manchester United, I don't think that would have been a possibility."

But Dunn believes the time is right for Fergie to get his man.

Strengthen

"I was at Sir Alex's press conference on Friday and he did say that he was going to strengthen in the summer and he hinted that an experienced striker was what he was looking for as well.

"He spoke about the two big games coming up but then he always lets himself drift into the future, creating this dynasty of players.

"He is the master at strengthening from a position of strength, which is what he did last summer, he brought Hargreaves, Tevez, Nani and Anderson.

"I think this is one area where probably thinks Giggs has got one season left, maybe one and a half. He's got young kids like Danny Welbeck and Manucho who has been on loan at Panathinaikos.

"Maybe he's thinking he can get in an experienced striker and then bed the kids in.

"He's always thinking ahead. I just think Owen is a player who he always thought 'I wonder what he would be like in a Manchester United side'

"The circumstances are right, clearly with the trouble at Newcastle Michael won't sign a contract extension and take a pay cut, why should he?

"So he can get Owen now, effectively on the cheap."

Course he does,didn't he write the fucking story?

Love these daily transfer rumours in the close season coming from the gutter press ,a manager says something in a press conference and the press go in to fantasy mode , we will just have to put up with it for now like we always do but it  pisses you off reading such utter shite .

Sunday Sun

Owen takes pay cut or he is sold this summer.

"United are reported to be weighing up a £15 million bid for Veloso". If it is in the Sunday Sun is it them that is reporting it?

We may never see Emre again, may end up at AC.

Milner future uncertain

Owen could fit in really well at ManU given his movement off the ball. The fact that hes shown himself capable of playing competently from deep might have caused him to be reassessed in some managers' eyes.

Might be Gudjohnsen though, as ManU were linked with him heavily before, and hes surely going to be part of the rumoured Barca clearout.

Guest shaun11177

Tell Owen to get Man Utd to bid 15m and he can leave if not he can run his contract down with us.

So is Owen running his contract down then or going to Man Utd?

Tells you everything you need to know.

Maybe he's going on loan whilst he runs his contract down?

For £7m? I'll buy that for a dollar.

Guest neesy111

owen can fuck off if he wants to, was never convinced despire the last few months he wanted to stay, sell him for 8-10 million and we've made a profit if u include the 10 million compo we got for him

It would be no surprise to me if Owen DID go to Man U, and nor would I be surprised if the club accepted around 8m for him if the alternative is him running down his contract and going for free - lets face it, he aint going to accept a reduction of 2m a year, and nor would any other player if he had the chance to move on to a big club.

People have to accept that there are going to be changes in the way the club has been run - we may not like everything that happens but the only alternative is not to buy tickets and I can't see that happening in a hurry...

Lots will happen over the close season and nothing would surprise me  - nothing that happens at NUFC ever does now - Oh wait - now if we won something decent...!!

Ian Ridley, Mail on Sunday: “If I was Michael Owen this morning I would be flying out to Manchester and finding out where I sign!” 

We should hold out for £10m for Owen. I'd be happy with that all things considering.

Manu must realise they'll have to pay a slight premium, it would be worth their while.

If Man Utd want Owen then there's no way he'd sign a new contract here, pay cut or not IMO.

The club should push for Johnny Evan's as part of the deal too as he's looked excellent in the Sunderland games I've watched.

If Man Utd want Owen then there's no way he'd sign a new contract here, pay cut or not IMO.

The club should push for Johnny Evan's as part of the deal too as he's looked excellent in the Sunderland games I've watched.

He did win us the Derby like.

He did win us the Derby like.

You're thinking of Paul McShane

It's the start of an exciting new the period with Keegan this summer and I honestly wouldn't be one bit bothered or concerned with who leaves the club.

For once we have some direction and focus at the start of the summer and I am excited about that. We have a clear approach and we are sticking by it. I am very excited about seeing some of these young bright stars at Newcastle. I feel Keegans personality and style will get the best out of younger upcoming players I really do. He will giv ethem all the confidence in the world.

I'm not at all surprised about the Owen situation. There is just no way he can expect us to pay him anything near what he has been on considering ow much he has cost us already with no real payback in return as far as production from him.

Looking to an exciting bright future whatever happens. Onwards and upwards I say.